Extra Lag on Black OPs 3 lately?

corrosiveguy

I forgot to mention a fourth factor that is negatively impacting the BO3 netcode:

The servers are asynchronous which means they are receiving data at a higher rate than they are sending it out. So, this is why you get moments where you drop dead without seeing somebody because in reality, the other player was there (in front of, behind), but your console didn't get the data to render them. Thus, you drop dead from "nobody" while on the other player's end, he / she saw something entirely different.

On top of this, the server tick rates are too low for the amount of movement and data the new CoDs use. They are set at 30Hz (vs. an ideal 60Hz) which was fine a decade ago, but with increased player base and in-game movement mechanics the servers can't keep up. This is why I believe the game will literally freeze up, or you sometimes get the disconnected warning message even on a dedicated server vs. P2P host.

I forgot to mention a fourth factor that is negatively impacting the BO3 netcode:

The servers are asynchronous which means they are receiving data at a higher rate than they are sending it out. So, this is why you get moments where you drop dead without seeing somebody because in reality, the other player was there (in front of, behind), but your console didn't get the data to render them. Thus, you drop dead from "nobody" while on the other player's end, he / she saw something entirely different.

On top of this, the server tick rates are too low for the amount of movement and data the new CoDs use. They are set at 30Hz (vs. an ideal 60Hz) which was fine a decade ago, but with increased player base and in-game movement mechanics the servers can't keep up. This is why I believe the game will literally freeze up, or you sometimes get the disconnected warning message even on a dedicated server vs. P2P host.

I am thinking about gaming on my Sprint LTE gateway for Black Ops 3.. It adds 45-50ms to my ping from my fiber. I have 40g of data and gaming uses so little. and then use my Duma in a DMZ for geo filtering

I mean, are we saying COD has intentionally nerfed the Duma?  Ping is king, but only if the game lets it be.  I do know this, when the game first came out 15-25ms was amazing.  Nowadays too many variables which don't lead to the fluid feeling it once was.  

The Duma is doing it's job, and much better than before (like my ping is a good 4-10 ms less with same activities/gaming then previous update).  I know there's a blind test coming up soon so it should be interesting.  If let's say adding "artificial ping" during the loading/whenever the game calculates for the match does give an advantage, would it be possible for the Duma to automatically (Via peer ping) find the optimal "artificial" ping so as to negate the effects vs taking advantage of?

Archived