Ethernet over Coax?

wrathoftank

So I was wondering if it is possible to convert my unused coax runs into ethernet runs?  I've heard of MOCA, but I wasn't sure if there was an alternate solution that would be passive rather than the powered solution that is moca.

Below is what I had in mind, but I'm not sure if it would work...

http://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Adapter-Extender-Passive-Required/dp/B016EKD9V6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1454518981&sr=1-3&keywords=ethernet+to+coax

For the actual, technical, transfer speeds and conditions/limitations, I would defer to whatever Zennon has to say, as that is not my area of expertise.

It's a completely viable option.   BUT, and there is always one with something like this, isn't there?   :huh:  ;)

This assumes that the coax line being converted is in pristine condition.  For example, RG59 hasn't really been used since I was driving a route everyday and even then it was reserved for rare cases, of really small runs, to eliminate the surplus of it.  I personally would rather run a new Cat5 or Cat6 cable than try to make an ancient piece of wire do something it wasn't intended to do.  It can be a bit of a headache if you have to fish walls and/or the builder put them in during framing, that sucks.  Obviously if you are renting that is another concern.

From a purely troubleshooting standpoint:  You just added two passive devices to what is supposed to be a perfectly good piece of passive cable.  You tripled the amount of shit that can do wrong, merely to change the condition of the mudium the 1's and 0's are traveling.  It's not ideal, but I understand.   :)

YMMV,

JD

I knew I could count on you for a good answer JD!  

The reason why I ask is because with my new home I plan on putting all networking devices in the basement (router & modem) then I have 1 coax and 1 ethernet cable running to 4 different rooms (standard installation for my builder).  So in my office there is only going to be one ethernet cable although I'll have 2 devices that need to be hardwired, so that got me thinking of how to convert the coax.  However if my results would be less than ideal then I can move the netduma upstairs and leave the modem downstairs.  It will be slightly more clutter but I will have ideal network performance.

Hey wrath - Happy to help man.  If I have something that can save some time or money, I am happy to share my painful life stories of JD - Cable Guy....LOL

A lot of builders offer packages like that here as well.  I used to work for the power company doing Residential and New Commercial Services, so I have a pretty good sample set of these types of "well, what if I" issues.   :D

If they haven't done the work, you might just have them price running an additional line of the Cat5/6 that you want.  If they do it like I have done it, thousands of times, they are going to strip out parallel lines on the ground, long enough to reach, bundle them and pull them through together anyhow.  Adding one more line just means they need a bigger paddle bit for the beams and joists, but the overall work isn't that much greater.  Probably cost you less than $100 unless you are using some seriously expensive cable or are paying Prevailing Wage Union Scale for installation.   :D

If they don't have that option, ask them how much to put in some 1 1/4" -1 1/2" FLEX conduit in the wall from point A to point B.  Then you can pull whatever the hell you want through there, provided you can make it all fit.

If you're looking to connect multiple devices in a room that already has an Ethernet connection you'll get much better results adding a network switch instead of trying to use Ethernet over coax. Putting the netduma upstairs will generally give you better wifi performance, the only issue I see with that is you'd for sure need a second run if you wanted the other rooms to run through the netduma.

I use these switches all over my house (even have multiple gaming and streaming devices on one switch in a room) and haven't had any issues. There is a five port version for a few dollars less if 8 ports is too many. Using a small switch will let you keep your netduma in the basement where the other rooms will be connecting to it.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG108-8-Port-1000Mbps-Desktop/dp/B00A121WN6/ 

If you're looking to connect multiple devices in a room that already has an Ethernet connection you'll get much better results adding a network switch instead of trying to use Ethernet over coax. Putting the netduma upstairs will generally give you better wifi performance, the only issue I see with that is you'd for sure need a second run if you wanted the other rooms to run through the netduma.

I use these switches all over my house (even have multiple gaming and streaming devices on one switch in a room) and haven't had any issues. There is a five port version for a few dollars less if 8 ports is too many. Using a small switch will let you keep your netduma in the basement where the other rooms will be connecting to it.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG108-8-Port-1000Mbps-Desktop/dp/B00A121WN6/ 

Excellent point, I do have others in the house that would also need to hardwire, so I guess a switch would likely be my best option.  Do all switches require power?

All the switches I've used do. Though if you're willing to shell out more cash you can put a power over ethernet (PoE) switch in the basement you can get a switch that will get it's power from the ethernet cable.

Here's a switch that hosts PoE

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6LID0S/

Here's one that runs on it

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-GS105PE-Pass-through-GS105PE-10000S/dp/B00J8NAWZ8/

Archived