Setting up a professional live stream?

ByMgRs

I have a twitch account (ByMgRs) and I want to get into live streaming but I don't really know how to start. I know the basics of OBS and elgato streaming utilities but I wondered if anyone could direct me to a good tutorial you trust? Thanks

The main thing you have to worry about is whether or not you have enough upload speed to play the game(s) and stream audio and video at an acceptable rate.

Minimum recommended upload speed for non-partnered streamers on Twitch / YT Gaming is 2500mbps (2.5 MB) for 30fps @ 720p.

For a game like CoD, or other fast-paced, 60fps games... I recommend 950x540 @ 2500 @ 60fps just to maintain the fluidity of the source... Although, this is entirely up to you. You need to take into consideration even 720p @ 2500, 30fps isn't optimal, but this is all being transcoded and uncompressed to the end user, so "quality" is almost irrelevant given current (limited) transmission qualities. Don't be fooled into thinking you need 4.5MBps @ 1080p (60fps) because that's just overkill and both Twitch / YT Gaming don't allow it for non-partnered streamers.

Also, if you are going to stream console games, the Elgato HD60 Pro internal PCI-E capture card is a must since the old Elgato HD60 isn't enough for real time capture since it's an external USB device and lacks the bandwidth needed for real time, in-sync audio and video. You're also going to need a fairly beefy PC to stream, too e.g. i7, 16GB RAM, GTX 970+ or R9 380+ since this is what does all the work transcoding video with OBS.

I recommend having a good headset and buying a compatible Elgato Console Chat kit http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017F85Q0S/ref=s9_wsim_gw_g147_i1_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=1BHQ1Z4F7HDPDG9V205V&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2091268722&pf_rd_i=desktop if you want to record party chat for broadcast. Also, a good stand alone microphone for streaming purposes is a must as well... Although, if starting out and just seeing if streaming is for you / going to be successful, you can rely solely on your headset mic until viewership demands better audio quality.

Archived