Setting up Netduma r1 with talktalk HG635

Hi guys,

I am sorry if this has been covered but I can't seem to find a specific answer so thought it would be easier to just post.

So my connection is fibre/VDSL and the only way I can get this to work is:
Wall   -->  TalkTalk HG635 (ethernet port 1, first yellow one)   -->  Netduma R1 (ethernet WAN port)

I tried to set up Bridge mode on the talktalk router and disabled tr069 but then i couldn't ping or get to the talktalk router interface. I tried moving the ethernet cable from Port 1 to the WAN port on the talktalk router (red one) to see if that would work but nothing changed. So i changed the talktalk router back to its original settings (IP routing) and then i could ping this router and had a internet connection. I saw in the netduma r1 that its WAN address was 192.168.1.3 which means possible double NAT? As the talktalk DHCP has assigned Netduma r1 this address. 

So i tried to disable DHCP in the netduma r1 to see if talktalk HG635 would handle DHCP instead to get past the possible double NAT but this wouldn't work either. So I turned DHCP back on, on the r1. So now currently, all i have done is in the talktalk router enabled DMZ on the netduma r1's mac address as the talktalk router doesn't support DMZ on IP addresses just mac addresses and i have also disabled the firewall in the talktalk router. 

Is this sufficient enough to use the Netduma r1? 
I will ofc have all devices connecting to the Netduma r1 as intended. 

• Netduma Staff

Hey Octave, welcome to the forum :)

That setup should be fine - most people have it set up like that. If you want to use bridge-mode instead though, you should check that it doesn't require you to use a certain port.

Hey Octave, welcome to the forum :)

That setup should be fine - most people have it set up like that. If you want to use bridge-mode instead though, you should check that it doesn't require you to use a certain port.

Thanks for the reply Crossy. Glad to hear that it's set up okay. I think ill continue to use it like this instead of trying to use Bridge. AFAIK Port 1 is the one to use for bridge but tried all of them to no avail lol even the WAN port on the router. 

Ohh well as long as this works ill keep it as is. I just hope DMZ actually works on the talktalk router :S 

Thanks again for the reply!

• Netduma Staff

Thanks for the reply Crossy. Glad to hear that it's set up okay. I think ill continue to use it like this instead of trying to use Bridge. AFAIK Port 1 is the one to use for bridge but tried all of them to no avail lol even the WAN port on the router. 

Ohh well as long as this works ill keep it as is. I just hope DMZ actually works on the talktalk router :S 

Thanks again for the reply!

Ok, as this is sorted I'll close the thread, but if you have any other problems feel free to open another :)

Archived