Setup questions (DHCP/Port forwarding/fixed ip's)

Hello,

My internet modem is a Fritz!box with Xs4all as my provider (The Netherlands) I just ordered a netduma so I hope it arrives soon. To be prepared I have a few questions. My Modem (fritz!box) is also a DHCP server, Should I continue to use this functionality or should I put my modem in bridge mode and is the netduma handling everything ? Same question for port forwarders etc. Also if the netduma will be my DHCP server is it possible to assign fixed IP based on Mac ID ? I use this for a lot of devices as I always know which IP's they get assigned by DHCP. This is particularly useful for flashing images (on my linux tuners for example) as I don't have to go through my DHCP pool to see which IP they got assigned this time.

Basically my question is if you have more in-depth documentation of the netduma, based on that I probably can draw my own conclusions on how to setup it up best.

Thanks in advance,

Joost 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Joost,

Thank-you for purchasing the router. 

Should I continue to use this functionality or should I put my modem in bridge mode and is the netduma handling everything ? Same question for port forwarders etc

I would recommend you put your fritz!box in bridge mode. Then let the Netduma handle everything, this is the optimum set up for port forwarding. For port forwarding we have UPnP enabled by default which should help most gamers. However you can also manually forward ports.

Also if the netduma will be my DHCP server is it possible to assign fixed IP based on Mac ID ? 

Yes it is :)  Our DHCP server does a good job of remembering devices and giving them the same IP address as well if that helps. 

This is particularly useful for flashing images (on my linux tuners for example) as I don't have to go through my DHCP pool to see which IP they got assigned this time.

Awesome!

Basically my question is if you have more in-depth documentation of the netduma, based on that I probably can draw my own conclusions on how to setup it up best.

At the moment we don't have more advanced documentation, but that is really good suggestion and I will try allocate some time to do so. I'll add to the next version thread now. 

Hope that helps,

Iain

Guest Netduma_Iain

We've had a quite a few people report improved experience in AW, so hope you do to!

abc, yes you can assign static IP. Sorry I didn't make that clear in the above post, I think the smiley face was confusing haha

Archived