Geo-Filter to the MAAAAXXXX

This is something that I'm sure will involve a lot of coding, i won't go into the details i'd recommend here.  I'll do that in the techie section if requested.

What I want is the following:

Multiple Circles (sometimes overlapping, but overlap ignored).

Basically this allows the following:

1. Geo-filter your location

2. Geo-filter your friends locations so that they connect with your circle.

I can make an image of this, but basically it allows you to connect to your friends location and your location.  

Guest Netduma_Iain

I'm not sure I full follow you. But I was thinking for a big improvement we could change the geo-filter from a circle to multiple polygons. So you could draw on the map the places you want to allow, what do you think?

I'm not sure I full follow you. But I was thinking for a big improvement we could change the geo-filter from a circle to multiple polygons. So you could draw on the map the places you want to allow, what do you think?

That's similar to what I am thinking, I didn't know if that would be too much for you'll.

Here is there next part to this:

Memorize new polygon additions to IP addresses(ALLOW List)...So when you see 123.3.54.1 you know that's my friend, so it re-adds the polygon I associated with him.

I'm not sure i'm saying this clearly..images might be the best way to explain it.

Basically Polygons would be the best plan, however drawing new ones everytime a friend joins (you are friends host) is going to be annoying.  So instead netduma associates a polygon to this IP and then it just adds it automatically.

What you think?

post-168-0-35968000-1418612130_thumb.png

Basically something like the above.

My friend is in let's say Chicago, so it draws a polygon from Chicago to my geo-filter.  This polygon is stored with my friends IP (Allow List) this means if i'm playing with him it adds his polygon if not, it is simply a circle.

Beyond this, also allow us to draw multiple polygons.

post-168-0-29317100-1418612454_thumb.jpg

Guest Netduma_Iain

Oh I think I get it. Basically have it adapt based on if you're playing with your friend or not. So it can help him as well, right? 

Oh I think I get it. Basically have it adapt based on if you're playing with your friend or not. So it can help him as well, right? 

More like so he doesn't complain about lag when playing with you because you've basically limited him to playing with people around you...

I have some polygon images too but i can't add them, upload limit and i'm too lazy to upload them to s3 right now.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok I understand, I know your drawings don't show this. But you could have multiple circles for all friends and have the final shape be the intersection of all(including your own) of them so no one can complain? 

Ok I understand, I know your drawings don't show this. But you could have multiple circles for all friends and have the final shape be the intersection of all(including your own) of them so no one can complain? 

exactly, that's the natural conclusion of this.  basically just for that exact reason, your friends can't complain...

Also of course allowing us to alias the "Allow" Friend.

So 123.3.54.1 becomes Iain

Got it, I need a way to organise these ideas. As its growing quite quickly :) I'm going to think about it later tonight 

The more i think about it, it might be smart to also have a "middle ground" toggle.

When you have all your friends and its identified them if that option is chosen simply pick the middle area of all users.  This is something I had to do with GPS points when finding good places to meet up with friends...the math is pretty simple.

Looking at this has me a bit confused, probably doesn't help my brain is still in sleep mode. From what I see you're trying to be able to pin point all your friend's on the geo filter map. Are you gonna be using that to base where you set your geo filter search range? So there is a happy medium for you, and all your friend's when playing together? Because that is something I would like. As having a middle ground for setting the search ground when playing with friend's is important to me at least.

With the images posted above, they're just confusing to me. I don't know who is, or who isn't your friend on the map.

Looking at this has me a bit confused, probably doesn't help my brain is still in sleep mode. From what I see you're trying to be able to pin point all your friend's on the geo filter map. Are you gonna be using that to base where you set your geo filter search range? So there is a happy medium for you, and all your friend's when playing together? Because that is something I would like. As having a middle ground for setting the search ground when playing with friend's is important to me at least.

With the images posted above, they're just confusing to me. I don't know who is, or who isn't your friend on the map.

Understandably, 1 this isn't an easy thing to convey...2 using my google maps api to draw the above images isn't super easy...Anyways...

Example:

Screen+Shot+2014-12-15+at+4.07.27+PM+cop

I put names on the above map...this is method 1 i'd like to see...

Method 2 i'm not sure would work...well as well as method 1...but basically you'd find the LAT, LNG of all three people and then find the middle point and make a configurable circle radius

well this graph is a lot better, and explains things like I was thinking. As with this graph, you are the middle point between the two. So host lobby should be great for you, and still really good for the two people you're playing with according to the example of this graph. I totally agree with such a feature like this, just gotta make sure it's easy to understand for everyone wanting to use such feature.

well this graph is a lot better, and explains things like I was thinking. As with this graph, you are the middle point between the two. So host lobby should be great for you, and still really good for the two people you're playing with according to the example of this graph. I totally agree with such a feature like this, just gotta make sure it's easy to understand for everyone wanting to use such feature.

Right, but that might not always be the case, hence the method 2 I spoke about.

Right, but that might not always be the case, hence the method 2 I spoke about.

Yeah I understand this is a simple graph. It would be totally different for say me(Virginia), buddy(Florida), and other buddy(Louisiana). We would have to draw up a center line between us three, and set Geo-Filter area based off that.

Yeah I understand this is a simple graph. It would be totally different for say me(Virginia), buddy(Florida), and other buddy(Louisiana). We would have to draw up a center line between us three, and set Geo-Filter area based off that.

exactly, which means you'd all lag, equally...i'd argue that if you asked your friends that they would prefer at least one person have a good connection.

Archived