Fibre Optic help

The Setup I am using is an Asus Rt-AC66R as my main router.  I have one 1gbit speeds (900 up and down) for my house.  I have my computers connected to the Asus.  I wanted to connect to the netduma to the asus.  I am not to worried about missing out the congestion control.  After I conneted the netduma to the Asus I disabled the DHCP and wireless.  When asked for my speed, I went to speedtest.net knowing that my speeds would be lower.  What I did not expect was only 62mbs up and down.  I thought on the faq the router could support higher speeds like 100.  I don't know if I did something wrong or if I missed something.  I do realize 62 up and down is still pretty good.  Thank you, I look forward to using the router.

4041607767.png

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Setup I am using is an Asus Rt-AC66R as my main router.  I have one 1gbit speeds (900 up and down) for my house.  I have my computers connected to the Asus.  I wanted to connect to the netduma to the asus.  I am not to worried about missing out the congestion control.  After I conneted the netduma to the Asus I disabled the DHCP and wireless.  When asked for my speed, I went to speedtest.net knowing that my speeds would be lower.  What I did not expect was only 62mbs up and down.  I thought on the faq the router could support higher speeds like 100.  I don't know if I did something wrong or if I missed something.  I do realize 62 up and down is still pretty good.  Thank you, I look forward to using the router.

4041607767.png

This is caused by the algorithm you are using ~60 is the limit for pre-emptive (Congestion Control on the top) change it to reactive and the speed should increase...more over you might want to go to settings misc and disable deep packet inspection.

If I were you I would do:

Modem <-> Asus <-> R1

because with 1gig speeds you aren't going to need congestion control.

This is caused by the algorithm you are using ~60 is the limit for pre-emptive (Congestion Control on the top) change it to reactive and the speed should increase...more over you might want to go to settings misc and disable deep packet inspection.

If I were you I would do:

Modem <-> Asus <-> R1

because with 1gig speeds you aren't going to need congestion control.

Thank you, this is what I was expecting. 4041646433.png

I connected my ps4 to the router and I cannot login to psn.  

I connected my ps4 to the router and I cannot login to psn.  

I believe this is a bug with IPv6 which Iain will have to help you with (remote into your router and disable it).

But i'm not 100% on this, it could easily just be a strict NAT issue.  You did fully power off the PS4 and then turn it back on?

Did it show up in the Device Manager and Network Monitor?

I believe this is a bug with IPv6 which Iain will have to help you with (remote into your router and disable it).

But i'm not 100% on this, it could easily just be a strict NAT issue.  You did fully power off the PS4 and then turn it back on?

Did it show up in the Device Manager and Network Monitor?

No it did not show up.  I powered it off and unplug it.  I powered it up again. Is there anything I need to do on my asus.  I noticed this notifications "We have detected you are connected to another router (as opposed to a modem). In most cases the Netduma R1 circumvents this, however, if a game detects closed NAT you may need to enable modem mode or DMZ. Click here for more information."

that depends...what is your setup?

Modem <-> Asus <-> R1

or

Modem <-> R1 <-> Asus

if it is the second and you have it in the R1, reboot the modem and the R1...because you shouldn't have this issue/message.

Also is your modem from you ISP and actually a modem/router? if it is you will need to do some extra work.

that depends...what is your setup?

Modem <-> Asus <-> R1

or

Modem <-> R1 <-> Asus

if it is the second and you have it in the R1, reboot the modem and the R1...because you shouldn't have this issue/message.

Also is your modem from you ISP and actually a modem/router? if it is you will need to do some extra work.

I don't have a modem.  They run the fiber optic cable to white box which then has an ethernet port.  I just plug in an ethernet cable.

My setup is internet box->asus->r1

Now i did port forward and create a static ip for my ps4. would this cause an issue.

I don't have a modem.  They run the fiber optic cable to white box which then has an ethernet port.  I just plug in an ethernet cable.

My setup is internet box->asus->r1

Now i did port forward and create a static ip for my ps4. would this cause an issue.

For the above setup on the Asus you will need to make a static IP for the R1 and then put that IP into the DMZ of the Asus.

This will let the Asus router sit outside of the Asus' firewall.

You also will likely want to disable the DHCP on the R1 - http://192.168.88.1/cgi-bin/dhcp.shis the default url and give it an IP on that page that is inside the asus' range.  For example, if you get to the Asus by going to 192.168.1.1 then you need to make the R1 192.168.1.2 (using the asus static dhcp lease)

Iain might need to comment here as there is a chance this won't work because of the top line on the above mentioned page.

For the above setup on the Asus you will need to make a static IP for the R1 and then put that IP into the DMZ of the Asus.

This will let the Asus router sit outside of the Asus' firewall.

oh okay. How do I do that? I am used to the Asus assigning IPs.  I am not sure how to do it manually.

go to this page: http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_DHCP_Content.html

for your router...

then at the bottom see the manually assign you will put the MAC address of your R1 there and the IP you want it to have (i recommend 192.168.1.2 - if you are using 192.168.1.1 for asus)

sweet. The MAC address for the R1 is found under DHCP lease?

The router is updated and I placed the R1 ip in the DMZ. i rebooted the ps4.  I still can't sign in...under connection status it says NAT Type failed.

if you plug into the router R1 with your laptop/desktop do you get internet?

for the ps4? it is the static ip that my asus assigned it.

okay what is the static ip of the PS4?

what is the IP of the computer plugged into the R1?

i'm guessing this is the issue, basically you'll need to remove the static IP from the PS4 and let it do automatic.

okay what is the static ip of the PS4?

what is the IP of the computer plugged into the R1?

i'm guessing this is the issue, basically you'll need to remove the static IP from the PS4 and let it do automatic.

okay. I went to the ps4 network settings and selected the easy setup.  Everything is set to automatic, when the ps4 tries to recieve the IP address and i recieved an error trying to find the ip address.

Archived