R1 dropping WiFi / Ethernet connection

Long time since I been on here! My original R1 from launch has been causing me some issues for last few months and thought I'd reach out for Iain or Fraser to see if they can advise before I disconnect and move on. 

I recall from years ago some users seemed to have a similar issue but can't locate the fix / resolution. My issue is that the R1 is dropping WiFi and Ethernet internet traffic a few times a day. ISP modem is still connected so VDSL connection remains live. With an increasing demand from connected family it's obviously not ideal if the R1 needs reset 3 to 4 times a day to bring back online. 

What is strange is I can remain connected to steam games if this occurs whilst already online (via ethernet). However if I tab out and open a browser during this down time the browser can't resolve anything. WiFi is just completely dead until reset. 

So any thoughts / suggestions? Not yet factory reset the thing but all cables been replaced for new. A big standard Asus router was in for a few days and didn't drop a connection once. 

• Netduma Staff

Hi, welcome back! Lets get some obvious suggestions out of the way:

- Have you tried replacing / swapping cables around?

- Have you tried different Ethernet ports on the Netduma?

- Have you checked out this guide for your WiFi specifically: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000022405-why-does-the-netduma-wifi-keep-dropping-out-

- Can you access the R1 interface when it happens?

- Which version of the firmware are you on?

I reckon this could be an age thing depending on just how old it is - when did you get it? With DumaOS around the corner hopefully this is a software issue that can be stamped out with that upgrade. Let us know the answers to the above and we'll go from there :)

Thanks Jack for the reply. In order of your queries:

1) all cables replaced with new ones. 

2) yes tried different Ethernet cables. Wan port is obviously locked to one but wouldnt / shouldnt affect WiFi. WAN connection on modem and Exchange sync still active. 

3) followed the guide a few months the ago when issue first developed. I use a modem for VDSL connection so no conflict there. Limited WiFi devices around router (main PC is only hardwired). 

4) unknown tbh from ethernet. I'll check next time it happens. I can't connect to device via WiFi. 

5) 1.03.6d

My R1 is an early adopter launch model. Was one of the first ones shipped if I recall. Was here from the start to help people get setup etc and Iain / Luke / Fraser should all recall 👍

• Netduma Staff
4 hours ago, Buds said:

Thanks Jack for the reply. In order of your queries:

1) all cables replaced with new ones. 

2) yes tried different Ethernet cables. Wan port is obviously locked to one but wouldnt / shouldnt affect WiFi. WAN connection on modem and Exchange sync still active. 

3) followed the guide a few months the ago when issue first developed. I use a modem for VDSL connection so no conflict there. Limited WiFi devices around router (main PC is only hardwired). 

4) unknown tbh from ethernet. I'll check next time it happens. I can't connect to device via WiFi. 

5) 1.03.6d

My R1 is an early adopter launch model. Was one of the first ones shipped if I recall. Was here from the start to help people get setup etc and Iain / Luke / Fraser should all recall 👍

When the drop-out happens could you do an IPconfig? (To do this, open Command Prompt on a wired PC and type 'ipconfig'. Screenshot the results and drop them here :) )

Has anything changed with your ISP connection recently, and do these drop-outs happen with the Netduma disconnected? Also, have you tried a factory reset from Settings > Miscellaneous?

I do reckon age could have something to do with this - if you do choose to disconnect the R1, definitely keep an eye out for the DumaOS update which will be out very soon. That could very well resolve this issue since it'll effectively overwrite the entire router firmware. Hopefully it should give your R1 a new lease of life!