Xbox One - duplicated ICMP packets

opit78

Hi guys.

Maybe someone know the reason why this is happening while in the game.

Long story short - I mostly playing on PS4 however lately one of my friends got X1 so Im "trying" to play with him for last couple of days.

This is a nightmare !

Im lagging as hell all the time, dying before people start shooting to my direction (from my point of view of course).

Yesterday I did ping test from my iMac to X1 and from other devices later on as well with exactly the same result.

Everything is fine if you're not in the game (no game loaded at all), ping is nice and stable.

When I start the game (any game, COD, BF Hardline, you name it !) ping goes all over the place jumping up and down and Im getting lots of duplicated packets (DUP! in ping response), xbox live games are unplayable !

I've tried hard wire connection, wifi (2.4GHz and 5GHz as well), xbox connected to router, xbox connected directly to modem, same thing happening no matter what !

Duplicated packets might happen if you have two devices in the network with the same IP address or if you are on wifi with poor connection, that's not the case here unfortunately.

I've uploaded a short video to YT (is in polish) so you can see what's happening.

For this video I've X1 connected to the Asus RT-AC68U router, ping to X1 is on the left terminal window, ping to the Asus router is on the right terminal window.

Currently my X1 is on beta firmware date for 15 April 2015

Two things spring to mind to check before Iain can answer this is....

Only have the duma wifi on and not on on your other router.

And is the xbox one hardwired and set to wifi on at the same time?

Two things spring to mind

Only have the duma wifi on and not on on your other router.

And is the xbox one hardwired and set to wifi on at the same time?

I never use wifi for consoles, hard wire only.

In the video above only iMac is on wifi but even if I connect the iMac hard wire to the same router (Netduma, Asus whatever) exact same thing happening when you load the game.

You cannot turn off wifi in xbox settings, its happening automatically once LAN cable is connected.

As you can see problem exists only when you launch the game (even if you're not playing yet).

I might be totaly barking up the wrong tree but take out the wifi settings out of the xbox one and restart the xbox just incase there is a bug that has not disabled wifi when you attach the ethernet.

If it still persists could you screen shot your duma settings for us to look at please.

Netduma settings have nothing to do here.

I can be connected to Netduma or Asus router, I can also connect Xbox to the modem directly so X1 gets external IP (then ping my external IP).

Ping is fine only if no game is loaded.

No issue at all with PS4

Screenshot below - X1 on the left, PS4 on the right, AW loaded on both consoles, both consoles connected to NetDuma (wired)

I've 2x Xbox One and 2x Playstation 4, problem exists on both Xboxes, no issue with playstation. My Xbox 360 and Wii U are also totally fine.

post-632-0-53903700-1428236549_thumb.png

post-632-0-38393800-1428236561_thumb.png

post-632-0-81355500-1428236575_thumb.png

post-632-0-07309700-1428236586_thumb.png

Guest Netduma_Iain

I'm away from work so can't do any tests. I have also noticed that xbox does dup responses as well. Probably something funny in their OS. 

In terms of higher pings(we're talking milliseconds which is nothing) I'm not a low level windows dev(I dev on Linux) but it wouldn't surprise me if its due to the machine being busy processing the game so icmp interrupts aren't processed immediately.  

I'm away from work so can't do any tests. I have also noticed that xbox does dup responses as well. Probably something funny in their OS. 

In terms of higher pings(we're talking milliseconds which is nothing) I'm not a low level windows dev(I dev on Linux) but it wouldn't surprise me if its due to the machine being busy processing the game so icmp interrupts aren't processed immediately.  

Let me know if you are able to test it.

As I said before I am on beta firmware (on my both Xbox One's) so it might have something to do here (or not).

I've found one guy on different forum with the same exact issue but he were on wifi, once he switched to LAN it fixed his problem.

I haven't had many problems with xbox live connections before.

Guest Netduma_Iain

It's very intriguing and i would love to investigate please remind me as in away this week and have a lot on my plate

I see you have two xbox ones , are they both connected and do you use power saving mode when the other is quote on qoute off.

Because if you dont the other is actualy on and listening for "xbox on" speech command.

Might be worth testing.

It sounds as if your first packets that are sent are net being received correctly and they are being sent again and you host thinks its fresh data but its not, this might be due to packet loss. My friend had this problem a while ago and he sorted it by setting his MTU correctly in the router and devices as they were getting fragmented and causing the problem. Thats just how he fixed it so might not work for you but if you want to try heres a VIDEO on how to get your best MTU and remember to add 28 to the final result.

I see you have two xbox ones , are they both connected and do you use power saving mode when the other is quote on qoute off.

Because if you dont the other is actualy on and listening for "xbox on" speech command.

Might be worth testing.

As you can see on screen shots above second X1 was completely turned off, I'm not using "instant on" function.

Xbox One also disable wifi connection after 10-15 seconds once LAN cable is connected.

It sounds as if your first packets that are sent are net being received correctly and they are being sent again and you host thinks its fresh data but its not, this might be due to packet loss. My friend had this problem a while ago and he sorted it by setting his MTU correctly in the router and devices as they were getting fragmented and causing the problem. Thats just how he fixed it so might not work for you but if you want to try heres a VIDEO on how to get your best MTU and remember to add 28 to the final result.

I was thinking about MTU size as well however I don't see this option in Netduma router (MTU size is available for IPv6 only)

Modem settings cannot be changed because its set to bridge mode (Port-base Passthrough), Netduma has its own external IP address (I have 20 IP's from my ISP).

Its happening also with Xbox One connected directly to the modem (no router at all) with separated external IP and I have to repeat myself - its happening only when you load the game (even if your not playing yet, you can see that on my video).

Guest Netduma Fraser

Ahh fantastic. I think it's a mistake, change it and see if it has any effect on your issue :)

Archived