R1 Not working for me.

DominationGOD

Hi Guy's

I have had my R1 for a few weeks now and have over 30hrs game play on AW during this period using the R1, and its more miss than hit for me. :blink:

I am in the UK on BT Infinity Broadband with 23m down and 4.5m up.

My set up is BT modem (not hub) to R1 then cat5 to my PS4.

Geo Filter is enable to PS4 and PS Network

Geo Filter is set to 600km and strict mode.

I mainly play Domination and am 8th prestige with 2.17 KD.

My experience so far is that although the game seems smoother......weird things are happening like I am getting hit markers galore, I can empty full clips into backs of people and they turn around a kill me with one shot.  

My pings to hosts tend to be around 40ms so not sure what's going on.    :wacko:  :wacko:

I have not messed with any other settings outside of the Geo filter page as there is nobody else using the internet while I game as I play when wife's out!

Got so fed up last night not managing to drop more 5 people a game I removed the R1 replaced with Homehub 4 and hey presto back to winning!! now given that most other people here seem to find the R1 a vast improvement....is there anything I am missing that you can think of please???

one last thing is version 7. out yet and will it help me.

Cheers in advance

just a couple of thoughts:

1. Edited - not relevant to situation

2. Edited - not relevant to situation

3. You may also want to increase the distance on your geo filter. Anything around 1000 will still be a great connection.

4. Although it may not make a huge difference, utilize the CAT6 cable that came with the Duma instead of CAT5.

I'm sure some of the other guys with more experience will have some additional thoughts. 

Edit: I tend to play on mostly 50ms ping connections in the Northeast United States and still get laggy games every so often. Although this router is amazing, it won't get you into great games every time. Unfortunately COD's netcode seems to be quite funky.

Guest Netduma Luke

just a couple of thoughts:

1. You should have this setting: Congestive Control Page -->Algorithm --> Reactive

2. On Settings --> Misc --> Disable Deep Packet Processing

3. You may also want to increase the distance on your geo filter. Anything around 1000 will still be a great connection.

4. Although it may not make a huge difference, utilize the CAT6 cable that came with the Duma instead of CAT5.

I'm sure some of the other guys with more experience will have some additional thoughts. 

Great post - although with a 23mb down speed you shouldn't need to do either 1 or 2, that's only for very high speed connections

A few questions from me:

1. Are you using a wired connection from your Netduma to your console?

2. If possible, post a screenshot of your Geo-filter while pinging the host during a normal game using the R1

3. Are you using a TV or a monitor?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi DominationGOD,

I've actually helped a couple of people with this in chat recently. I must state that the Duma is NOT a device designed to make you win. Its a device that lets you control and optimise your Internet connection. Getting games of 40ms is pretty good. For the UK its not amazing I mean I typically get between 15-30. But 40ms is still very very good. 

Many people have mentioned they have to adjust their play-style once using the router because it makes the game much fairer. In that you can kill people quick BUT they can kill you quickly. For the sake of handling support though I'm only going to deal with support issues that mention ping values. We don't and can't make you win games.

I can try help you reduce the latency or spikes further if you like, but I can't help diagnose K/D or W/L ratios. Version .7 was meant to be out couple days ago but there were a couple of bugs. I've fixed them now  and its being retested, so far so good. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Just had a thought though, you maybe pinging the wrong thing. In .7 its nearly impossible to do that. If you want to jump the gun PM me and I'll give you instructions so you can test the .7 version now.

i play aw classic and i find that i get hosst 2000km away with steady 80 ping and i clean up......when i go to strict or not and 500 or 900km i do worse.  What i think is the issue is dedicated servers....they are better. So if you are looking close to home u might not have any dedicated servers close by. So u rely on p2p. Last night i played many hours and had most my success far from home and ping 40 -80. So for some portions of aw with less people in playlists its best to play through a server. I noticed on on reugular exo play there are way more people so more opportunities to get a good hookup close by.    So i believe we need to find all dedicated servers and white list them.....as i have just had way to many great games far from home for it to be coincidence.

So by going back to your old router .....u probably started playing on dedicated servers farther away.

So set your net duma to 2000 to 3000km and start rating these dedicated servers and then stick to those. As even there some are better than others.  Nothing is exact in this and even from game to game things can change it seems like....wat i do once i find a good lobby i stick with it....until it isnt   ....then i find a new one and that could take 5 or more tries.

Its all about maximizing your odds at good games....and thats where every little bit helps

Thanks

For the quick response everyone.

in answer to Luke's questions

1. yes R1 on cat5 to PS4

2. Will take screenshot tonight

3. TV

Iian,

Sorry but I think you misunderstood me, I bought the R1 because on average 5 out of every 10 games I would end up playing with people from the "Eastern Block" most nights and continually suffered that in the doorway, out the doorway, in the doorway type of lag/ jitter, I did not buy your product to improve my KD or win games!! I am just after a better and fairer game experience.

And sorry I should have been clearer I am happy with an average ping of 40ms (I will take that all day every day) ;)

But I am struggling with the fact that when you know somebody should be dead and they ain't, and yes we all KNOW we are always going to get a match or two like that and I accept that, but I am just struggling with the fact that with the R1 most of my games are like that.

This only leads me to the conclusion that I have something set wrong somewhere.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Right, I think the best thing to do is just to get everyone on .7, the problem with .6 is sometimes you can't see the host. Which means you maybe pinging the wrong thing and therefore you're not on a 40ms host.

If you like I can PM you instructions right now to upgrade to the beta. There is a bunch of other stuff there that I'll write a manual on very soon. But if you just want to dive in and test pleast let me know :)

also remember every match you can own 4 out of the 6 players but one or 2 just always seem to be ahead nomatter what u do.......and then u might have to account that these peeps might just be awsome.........you still go 29 and 12 its just always someone u cant kill ......it happens alllllllll the time

domination god your kd is 2.14.......i presume u are moving around not camping ......and from my experience rushing, if you got a 2.14 kd that means u are ahead of most peole already and already have good connections. If u have a bad connection unless u are camping you have somewhere (guessing)  between a .50 and .90 kd there is nothing u can do to kill people no matter how good u are, u only get kills when they dont see you.....but with 2.14 that wouldn t be the case....be happy.

Thanks Iain, PM sent.

Hi Michael, not a camper I'm afraid I am a flag man most games capping 8-12 flags so lots of moving....but with smart play...keeping to sides of map, being aware of high traffic areas..lol

It never ceases to amaze me, that at the start of every match after capping start flag most people take same routes time and time again to cap B, just makes them easy pickings lol

yes, sure enough!!     what i found is the faster i move around the better my reaction time gets and the better my aim is .......the slower i go the more i seem to get killed. I highly recommend to people to start rushing...smartly.......because thats also when you can truly tell when behind    manno a manno gunfight......often times i am one of those taking the same rout to see if i can kill someone who is waiting for me.....i have learnt to succeed at it...........but if i die three times i move on...lol.......anyways keep it up im sure you will find away to make the netduma enhance ur experience.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok I'm just going to edit the instructions then I'll PM you guys. Give me a couple of hours or so please. Quite a bit to document in the new version :) 

But I am struggling with the fact that when you know somebody should be dead and they ain't, and yes we all KNOW we are always going to get a match or two like that and I accept that, but I am just struggling with the fact that with the R1 most of my games are like that.

This only leads me to the conclusion that I have something set wrong somewhere.

what you have to remember with online gaming ans using the R1 is the R1 can control your home connection and who you connect to in regards to hosts and servers, it can't influence who else connects to a server.

In any online game the over riding factor for all players is ping , differences in ping can cause issues exactly as you described and there is nothing anyoner can really do about that as what you see on your screen is actually only as accurate as the last update you got from the server and the last update you the server got from players.

having a good low ping does alot to counter this but if you have a really laggy high ping player in a session that is likely to happen 

Hi Iian and the rest of the Crew,

Thanks for sending me the version 7 beta.

I put in on late last night...and followed your instructions and kept my ping limit thing to 50 as suggested.

Results..... Wow, its amazing all my problems gone tried it with several different host's and all good.

I don't think I have ever played such a smooth online game before!!!  I did get my arse handed to me twice but I don't mind that if its a fair fight!!

and that's what this does, thank you so much for the swift support both on the forums and in the updates.

I don't know what Vodoo magic you have put in version 7, but I like, I like it a lot.

Cheers Guys from a very happy customer.

Guest Netduma_Iain

DominationGOD that makes me so happy, really glad you're having a good time. If you dont mind me asking where were the hosts most of the time when you played? 

Hi Iain,

I had filter set to 900k and ping 50ms, and as I was testing it for myself I played a game then left and found another host repeatedly

The hosts I connected to last night where in France, Netherlands, Germany and Ireland.

Average ping to host was 20-35ms

Good Times!! looking forward to getting back to it tonight :D  ;)

Archived