Want to just use this router for my PC, how to setup/isolate it?

Well after few weeks it finally arrived. here is the current setup

I have Cisco Cable Modem > Asus AC2400 Router > multiple Wired and wireless devices

I want to use the R1 for just my main PC, which is currently connected via CAT6 cable to the router(also gigabit switch in between)

So how can i best utilize/setup this router to give me all the benefits for just my PC ?

any diagram/wiki ? 

let me know

thx

Vince

so your saying to hook the Asus router into the R1 ? how would that work so it could still route the dozens of devices in the house to the internet ? is there setup changes required ? do you just hook from one of the other ports into the port on the asus router where the cable modem usually goes ?

Guest Netduma Fraser

so your saying to hook the Asus router into the R1 ? how would that work so it could still route the dozens of devices in the house to the internet ? is there setup changes required ? do you just hook from one of the other ports into the port on the asus router where the cable modem usually goes ?

Sorry my mistake entirely, please ignore that post. Ideally you would replace the Asus with the R1 so everything can make use of the R1. However, as you just want it for the PC you wont be able to make use of all the features such as congestion control but it would be modem > asus (with R1 in the dmz) > R1 

ok so just plug the r1 into one of the ports on the ASUS and then my PC into that, what is congestion control? what other features are lost ? please let me know any other details, like what other setup might be needed so asus works with the r1 correctly

thx

Guest Netduma Fraser

ok so just plug the r1 into one of the ports on the ASUS and then my PC into that, what is congestion control? what other features are lost ? please let me know any other details, like what other setup might be needed so asus works with the r1 correctly

thx

Yes exactly. This is where you can use our anti-flood to prevent lagging, because the R1 will be behind the asus though, it wont work correctly as not every device will be connected to the duma. Everything else should work as expected :) Youll need to go into the Asus settings and find the option for DMZ. Youll then need to put the WAN IP for the R1 into the DMZ. 

To find the WAN IP you can upgrade the router by going here http://www.netduma.com/upgradeand following the instructions. After that you can click on device manager on the R1 and you can find your WAN IP there :)

thx

@Vinman,  I am new at this too, however I have not received my unit just yet as I placed the order this week.

But the idea for us PC users (and I hope someone from Netduma can elaborate) is the fact that you can control how much bandwidth the rest of your household is using while you are playing.  

So the idea is to not allow your daughter (example) access to 100% of your bandwidth to visit youtube or netflix when she only needs a fraction of that.  When you use the congestion controls you can then control that, she would not notice the difference but you would.  

So to me the Netduma should be like this:

Modem -> Netduma-> Your PC

Netduma -> ASUS Router-> Switch (if you have one) -> rest of family PCs etc...

That way Netduma will track/have access to all data going and leaving your network.  

ok i guess that would be ok just not sure what is required to hook the new asus AC router into the R1 netduma one ? how would it route all the other IP addresses etc ? im sure this requires some special setup, changes to router etc. so if anyone has any ideas on this since i need pretty complete idea before i disconnect everything , since wont be able to get online to fix it if it doesnt work :).  I have the highest avail COX internet (like 150+down/30+up) , what i want with the netduma is to be able to control my pc connection when im playing COD to ensure i have best connection, get rid of the latency. Ill throttle everyone else connection if needed :)

Guest Netduma Fraser

ok i guess that would be ok just not sure what is required to hook the new asus AC router into the R1 netduma one ? how would it route all the other IP addresses etc ? im sure this requires some special setup, changes to router etc. so if anyone has any ideas on this since i need pretty complete idea before i disconnect everything , since wont be able to get online to fix it if it doesnt work :).  I have the highest avail COX internet (like 150+down/30+up) , what i want with the netduma is to be able to control my pc connection when im playing COD to ensure i have best connection, get rid of the latency. Ill throttle everyone else connection if needed :)

BLCUSF is correct :) you would just use an ethernet cable to connect the R1 and Asus together. I dont have this kind of setup myself but it will enable you to get the most out of the R1 in the situation youve described :) Perhaps others can comment on their setups. 

@vinman

Right now you have your Modem, connected to the ASUS router right?  You did nothing to the router when you first got it right?  You had the internet instantly.

So same thing here, you plug an Ethernet from your cable modem into the Netduma Port 1, then plug an ethernet cable from Port 2 of the Netduma  to your Asus Router "Blue" Ethernet Lan port. Then start up your Modem first, wait 2 or so min, startup your Netduma (if it needs a startup/switch) then turn on your Asus Router.  Your PC should have an ethernet cable from your PC to Port 3 of your Netduma instead of going through your ASUS router.  All other PCs etc can go through your ASUS router.

well i plugged it in, then i hooked the Asus router to the #2 port and my pc to #3

speed test seems to be WAY off now, only showing me like 50 MB down (was 160+ before) also when i go in i dont see any entry for COD :AW ? do i need an update or something ? was whole reason for getting this was for playing the COD games. Let me know if i need to change or tweek something

I just ran the upgrade to the 1.2.6 version by the way, but still think need some help tuning this setup so its of use. I also want to be able to have the computers attached to the other Router to see my PC and vice versa , right now my pc cant see any of the devices that are on the rest of my network.

let me know

Archived