My installation

First off, let me say I'm so happy with R1 as much as being a member of this forum.

I had a few games last night with R1 and it was fantastic. Now I want to fine-tune my new gadget and I need your help.

My setup is as follows:

SETUP.png

The prerequisites are:

- PC in ROOM 1 must be wire connected to TP-LINK (WIFI is OFF) It's a bedroom and I'm afraid two GHz bands will eventually fry my brain :ph34r:. Does this  mean I have to forget bridge mode?

- PS3 and PS4 wired of course 

- Other devices will connect to the internet wireless through R1

- Where do I have to enable DHCP ? TP-LINK or R1? I tried to enable it in R1 but wouldn't let me.

- Will I be able to use congestion control tool ?

Forgive me for opening a new thread. i know it may be annoying if every user opens a new thread with his/her own setup.

I'll probably come up with a few more questions.

Thanks in advance guys

Guest Netduma_Iain

haha its like the radar map in CoD, Ghosts Recon & CS:GO! So this is an intresting question, its a question of physical layout.

From your diagram what you have is optimium based on your constraints. Unless you can afford to buy a cheap switch, in which case I'd suggest you connect the r1 via a small wire supplied by Netduma to the modem. Then use the long wire to connect the duma to the switch in room 2. Then connect all the consoles to the switch. Then you're on the lol train.

thanks for your fast reply Iain. 

Can't have both modem and R1 in same room. But I can wire them with the cat5 cable. (Actually the wire runs under the floor) What is the meaning of switch? Isn't R1 a switch by itself? Sorry I'm not a network expert.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Why can't you have modem and R1 in the same room if you mind me asking?

A switch is like a dumb router which is exactly what you want so it doesn't have any IP changes in simple terms.

I don't want wifi in room1 at all. Instead of using the small wire, I use the long wire. I prefer the Netduma to be  located in room2 (see diagram) It is more convenient and with a better wifi coverage. 

A simple switch (10/100) will bottleneck my LAN. I need a gigabit switch. Right?

Guest Netduma Fraser

Everything is set now. 

Connection test results on PS4  show Failed Nat Type, and significantly lower up and down connection speed values. Is this normal?

What is your internet speed? If its above 60mbs you need to select the reactive algorithm, and make sure the sliders are at 100% and reset device prio. It settings misc, uncheck deep packet processing as well. 

Do you have the PS4 selected with the Geo-filter on? If so disable the Geo-filter, restart the PS4 and try the test again.

2.5 up 30 down

pre duma tests on ps4 showed approx 2 up, 26 down

What is your internet speed? If its above 60mbs you need to select the reactive algorithm, and make sure the sliders are at 100% and reset device prio. It settings misc, uncheck deep packet processing as well. 

Do you have the PS4 selected with the Geo-filter on? If so disable the Geo-filter, restart the PS4 and try the test again.

Did that. NAT type is 2 now and 13 up 1.6 down. Much better.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Greco,

No that test proved its a false report. When it said your NAT was closed it was actually open. So you can safely ignore that now :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

That's really low does it stay that low when you've set everything to 100% on anti-flood.

Also are you using wireless

Guest Netduma Fraser

Unfortunately yes Iain. My R1 is on DMZ if it makes any difference .

Wired as the first diagram.

When speedtest was running did you have all other devices off? Including whats not connected to the R1

Hi Fraser, thanks for the reply. Nothing else was running during the test.

My setup  (as the diagram in the first post suggests) is: wall-->modem/router-->R1(DMZ)-->2 consoles. Everything wired. Speed test through my first router though, has correct results (30/2.5)

Hope that helps.

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hi Fraser, thanks for the reply. Nothing else was running during the test.

My setup  (as the diagram in the first post suggests) is: wall-->modem/router-->R1(DMZ)-->2 consoles. Everything wired. Speed test through my first router though, has correct results (30/2.5)

Hope that helps.

Can you reboot the router please? If that doesnt work, Iain may have to connect to your router and see whats going on. You have everything we suggested selected so not sure what it could be. 

Guest Netduma Fraser

Just did. Still poor results. I'd appreciate Iain's help, but I wouldn't like to spoil his birthday plans just to deal with my problem  :mellow:

Iain wont be available until tomorrow, so if its okay can you wait until tomorrow? Unless anyone has any other suggestions? 

Fraser,

I set anti flood to 100% and everything is back to normal  :)

I have a few questions if I may:

Why do you suggest to throttle to 70-80% ?

Please confirm the following procedure (if it seems OK for a typical game session).

step:1  set Device prioritisation for your console and update Distribution. 

step 2: make sure Geo Filter and strict mode are disabled

step 3: Fire up the game (COD) and sign in

step 4: Enable Geo Filter and Strict mode

step 5: Set the desired location and radius

step 6: Search for a game

step 7: have fun

When your gaming  session is over, reset Distribution and update.

Am I missing something?

Once again forgive my bad English  :( 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Greco sorry I was away, ok lets try address one problem at a time. Lets start with the NAT did disabling the geo-filter open the NAT?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok I think you've put the wrong IP in the DMZ. Can you go to "Device Manager" you'll see "WAN IP" at the top of the page. Please make sure thats the IP you put in the other routers DMZ :)

Archived