First night with the R1, questions

Evandadda

So last night was the first time running with the R1.  My setup is Comcast/Arris cable modem in bridge mode, connected to the R1.  PS4 on a static IP with all the proper ports open, uPnP disabled, and I'm mainly a COD player so playing Advanced Warfare.  Running 1.2.6 for firmware.  Speedtest shows a 130 down, 25 up, and ping less than 20ms.    

I did notice improved connection, hit detection, kills that I would normally not get, etc. and I had some good games and my clanmates had some good games, but the overall experience was uneven as I ran into a few issues.

First and foremost, I have about 20 or so regular clanmates who game during the same hours that I do, after 9pm, and most are scattered throughout the country from Florida all the way to California.  Most of the time there are 6 or more in a lobby. 

A few issues:

-At first I tried to limit the geo filter radius to about 1km or so, but found it hard to catch a lobby with the rest of my party spread over the US.  I eventually expanded the geo filter to include the entire United States(2000+ km), and moved my location in the center of the US rather than on the east coast where I reside(Washington DC).  Is this what most are doing in the US?  Will Strict mode enabled or disabled make a difference either way?  Are most people here running solo or in full teams?

-I noticed my NAT type to be either open or moderate with the geo filter disabled when starting up the game, and strict with the geo filter enabled when starting up the game which I assume is proper behavior from reading prior posts.  If not, please make any suggestions.

-Random behavior when others are trying to join my lobby.  Players that could join my lobby previously and that I've whitelisted are no longer able to join.  This is by far the most annoying behavior.  So much time is wasted trying to coordinate the lobby, send invites over and over, etc.  Players would make it into the lobby, and then get booted after appearing for a few seconds.

-Of the lobbies that we did get into, I noticed steady ping rates from the host.  I also noticed that sometimes the host was not readily recognizable with no large red circle standing out on the map.

Is there a chance that I could try the latest beta firmware release?

So last night was the first time running with the R1.  My setup is Comcast/Arris cable modem in bridge mode, connected to the R1.  PS4 on a static IP with all the proper ports open, uPnP disabled, and I'm mainly a COD player so playing Advanced Warfare.  Running 1.2.6 for firmware.  Speedtest shows a 130 down, 25 up, and ping less than 20ms.    

I did notice improved connection, hit detection, kills that I would normally not get, etc. and I had some good games and my clanmates had some good games, but the overall experience was uneven as I ran into a few issues.

First and foremost, I have about 20 or so regular clanmates who game during the same hours that I do, after 9pm, and most are scattered throughout the country from Florida all the way to California.  Most of the time there are 6 or more in a lobby. 

A few issues:

-At first I tried to limit the geo filter radius to about 1km or so, but found it hard to catch a lobby with the rest of my party spread over the US.  I eventually expanded the geo filter to include the entire United States(2000+ km), and moved my location in the center of the US rather than on the east coast where I reside(Washington DC).  Is this what most are doing in the US?  Will Strict mode enabled or disabled make a difference either way?  Are most people here running solo or in full teams?

-I noticed my NAT type to be either open or moderate with the geo filter disabled when starting up the game, and strict with the geo filter enabled when starting up the game which I assume is proper behavior from reading prior posts.  If not, please make any suggestions.

-Random behavior when others are trying to join my lobby.  Players that could join my lobby previously and that I've whitelisted are no longer able to join.  This is by far the most annoying behavior.  So much time is wasted trying to coordinate the lobby, send invites over and over, etc.  Players would make it into the lobby, and then get booted after appearing for a few seconds.

-Of the lobbies that we did get into, I noticed steady ping rates from the host.  I also noticed that sometimes the host was not readily recognizable with no large red circle standing out on the map.

Is there a chance that I could try the latest beta firmware release?

Welcome to the boards. I'll try and answer your points in same order as above:

- People are generally doing both, either having the geo-filter locale specific to them for finding a host (and then party is connecting with varying connections) or you are looking to put in middle area of party spread so generally all party have similar connection. If you have the geo-filter covering the whole of the USA then I would run with strict on. That will mean you will only connect to a USA host (either P2P or dedicated server) and avoid a random hosted game to Europe or elsewhere.

- If NAT is open without geo-filter and strict / moderate when on then that is a false positive as you noted so nothing to worry about.

- Assuming all players in party are whitelisted then they shouldn't have an issue joining the lobby. Of course if any of the party are on a dynamic IP then it may have changed in which case they couldn't join. However, assuming all players as USA based and your geo-filter is covering  USA then they should be able to join fine. Best practise imo is to disable geo-filter to bring party together, make sure all whitelisted, then switch on and go.

- Steady pings are good so thats great. If no one is standing out as host then you are likely to have picked up a dedicated server. The next firmware drop will distinguish a dedicated server with a different colour on geo-filter so don't worry about that now.

- Re the beta firmware, Netduma will confirm about that. However I would suggest waiting it out. The next firmware drop is not far away and the beta can be unstable. It is not being rolled out  widely just to allow an update but to enable testing of the various aspects to improve performance. 

Guest Netduma Luke

Great post - you explained each question really well. Here's my thoughts:

1. Your setup looks fine so I don't think that would be causing a non-open NAT

2. >2,000km is probably a bit higher than it needs to be. It's really dependent of player population which fluctuates depending on the time of day. Given you're in the US I would have expected c. 1000km to work well. In fact, I would shrink my filter to the min and then snap to the next level up and try that

3. You are correct to disable to the filter when booting up the game on ps4 as the Nat server can be blocked which is giving a false reading. Keep us posted on future Nats as they should all in theory be open

4. The fact your friends cannot join is strange and not something I've seen so far but Iain may say otherwise. Was this happening when your Nat was moderate? Make sure you press 'update' after rating a friend too. Ultimately you should be able to see them as a dot in the green section of your allow & deny. Was this happening?

A workaround for this would be to disable the geo-filter and invite them in. They cannot then be booted out (plus if they can't join them we know it's not the geo-filter that is causing issues)

5. If you couldn't see one large circle then you may have been the host, or you may have been on a dedicated server (was strict mode enabled?). Our next upgrade will give more information when this happens to help you know who the host is

6. Iain will be on later today so he will respond on the beta firmware.

I hope that was helpful

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi agree with what everyone said. The beta is unstable so I would not recommend it yet.

Only other thing id like to add is the USA is huge playing with people across it means it's impossible for everyone to have a good game.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. With regards to the players getting booted, my normal practice was to disable the geofilter, invite, and then when in the lobby I would whitelist each, putting them up to 100%, naming their handle, then updating. I would click across to each to make sure the information had indeed been updated. Always when in the lobby and waiting for players to come in after invite I would disable the filter to make sure there were no issues and that was the odd part. With the the geofilter disabled players couldn't get into my lobby, even ones that had been whitelisted before. Yes there were white dots in the green section. I usually operated with strict mode enabled. I'll be doing more testing tonight and provide feedback. Cheers

With geo-filter disabled then it is just like a normal router, any issues connecting could be due to NAT mismatches between host / party.

However the status of the geo-filter can sometimes get stuck when changing between disabled and enabled. Try and power cycle the router before you play this evening and hopefully that will help as well.

That's another interesting point that jarred my memory. After having issues with party members not being able to join up, I left the party, reset everything and people still had issues joining in on me. I'll try again tonight.

Also, are there plans to improve the zoom level on the map as well as adding more detail? Maybe even pull in and cache map tiles from Google Earth, Open Street Maps, etc?? I was developing a complex from trying to figure out the states last night without any borders defined lol

That's another interesting point that jarred my memory. After having issues with party members not being able to join up, I left the party, reset everything and people still had issues joining in on me. I'll try again tonight.

Also, are there plans to improve the zoom level on the map as well as adding more detail? Maybe even pull in and cache map tiles from Google Earth, Open Street Maps, etc?? I was developing a complex from trying to figure out the states last night without any borders defined lol

Yeah, more zoom is on the 'to do' list for an update I believe :)

Last night started off by resetting the router, then disabling the geofilter before starting COD AW. Once in game the NAT type still shows moderate. I believe it stayed moderate the entire night, even with the geofilter on. Can't say for sure as it didn't stand out that it had changed to strict.

No issues with any party members joining last night as anywhere from 8-10 players drifted in and out, but most complained of the connection on their end even though I tried to accommodate the party by moving the home location around the country.

Lol I'm starting to think everyone playing this game is programmed to blame the connection rather than the fact that they just got outgunned. My connection and hit detection was good throughout the night, even with the host across the country.

I find it really interesting to see where the host is for every game, and figuring out if it affects my performance or not.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Glad to hear friend joining issues were resolved. It you check the answer bank there is a thread that describes why you get strict NAT. There is nothing to worry about.

Finally I'm my expirence lag tolerance is as subjective as taste :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Oh right ok that probably means you're behind another router not another modem. If thats the case I'd suggest you put the R1 into the other routers DMZ. Do you know how to do that? 

Guest Netduma_Iain

I can do a quick test for you if you like. Can you send me your IP address in a private message please. To get your IP google "My IP" and tell me what it says please :)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok I tested it and your NAT is definitely open. Can you try disable geo-filter while xbox/ps is off. Then turn it on and see if your NAT improves. If not have you disabled UPnP? 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Yup UPnP stands for universal plug n play. From our point of view it lets the xbox and playstations tell the router which ports to forward :)

Archived