UK Ideal Setup

Hi Guy's

Really looking forward to the arrival  of my R1 tomorrow , so much so I am taking the day off!!

Can I ask as you are UK based too what is the optimal geo filter distance you guys use yourself. (because if its good enough for you I am sure it will be for me)

Also as for hardware configuration I was thinking the below.

BT Modem>Homehub 5> R1 then to my PS4 & apple tv & Sky  (I am only proposing leaving home hub in as its at the front of my house with cat5 cable running from it to my AV cabinet in my house where I currently have a switch going to PS4, Apple TV & Sky which I will replace with the R1)

do you see any problem with this? and will I need to put R1 in DMZ?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Guy's

Really looking forward to the arrival  of my R1 tomorrow , so much so I am taking the day off!!

Can I ask as you are UK based too what is the optimal geo filter distance you guys use yourself. (because if its good enough for you I am sure it will be for me)

Also as for hardware configuration I was thinking the below.

BT Modem>Homehub 5> R1 then to my PS4 & apple tv & Sky  (I am only proposing leaving home hub in as its at the front of my house with cat5 cable running from it to my AV cabinet in my house where I currently have a switch going to PS4, Apple TV & Sky which I will replace with the R1)

do you see any problem with this? and will I need to put R1 in DMZ?

Thanks in advance :)

You have a modem as well as HH5? Unusual as the HH5 has a built in modem (I only have HH5 no modem). If you do then just drop HH5 and replace with Netduma and that is your ideal setup right there. You run the Cat5 cable to the Netduma in place of switch and all sorted (once we sort out PPPoE connection).

Guest Netduma Fraser

Thanks for purchasing and glad to see youre so excited! What buds said is correct but otherwise yes you would put it in DMZ :)

I personally play with the min distance of 111km, sometimes i will go to about 700km :)

Sorry I forgot to cover off the range query (trying to feed kids / finish work and be on forums lol).

I personally am based up in Scotland but I set my home location to London area and then a range of about 800km normally. I am a bit different to norm here in that I don't play COD:AW.

But on Halo MCC I ping hosts in Germany, France and Holland at between 30-45ms depening on the trace route so I am quite happy to have the larger geo-filter radius to get the games quicker. 

I have an openreach modem and have swapped my homehub (forget which version!) for a Linksys EA6700.

Am I right in thinking reading the above, that I'll be better off dropping the Linksys out of the equation and going directly from open reach modem to R1, once the PPPoE issue has been sorted?

Thanks

Guest Netduma Fraser

I have an openreach modem and have swapped my homehub (forget which version!) for a Linksys EA6700.

Am I right in thinking reading the above, that I'll be better off dropping the Linksys out of the equation and going directly from open reach modem to R1, once the PPPoE issue has been sorted?

Thanks

Yes I would say so unless the Linksys has something you want that the R1 hasnt, such as 5GHz Wifi for example.

Thanks

PPPoE issue is all sorted. Just make sure to upgrade to the latest firmware at: http://netduma.com/upgrade

Thanks guys, just checked my home hub and its a 4 not 5 (must of had a brain freeze moment) so that explains the modem.

Thanks for the advice.

Same idea then, drop the HH4 and use the Netduma in its place :)

Archived