bt home hub 3

Hi Chaps..

I have ordered a Netduma and fingers crossed in comes tomorrow!

Anyway I have a BT HH3 with lots of peripherals connected to it.  Here goes:

3 * PS4's : 1 wired and 2 wireless.

1 * SKY Box

2 * XBMC boxes via ethernet plugs.

3 * mobile phones

3 * PC's via ethernet plug

1 * Ipad : wireless.

I know this is going to be a major headache tomorrow and I am wanting some guidence on how to set this lot up.

I am thinking of connecting the Netduma to my HH3 and just to have my PS4's connected to it, 1 wired 2 with ethernet plugs along with the wireless devices I have and my PC, turning the WIFI off the HH3. Does the Netduma router have a password etc for my wireless devices? is it secure?

Is that about the best setup?

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Peapod,

Thanks for purchasing. The netduma wifi does have a password so it is secure.

I'm not sure about the HH3, do you need pppoe?

Hi Peapod,

Thanks for purchasing. The netduma wifi does have a password so it is secure.

I'm not sure about the HH3, do you need pppoe?

Yes I do need that I have read that I may need to update....already downloaded and prepared.

Yes I do need that I have read that I may need to update....already downloaded and prepared.

forward planning :)

protip... phone bt get through to tech support , bang your head on desk repeatedly while you deal with tier 1 tech support and ask to be escalated to a manager by saying you phoned before as your homehub is acting up and keeps dropping wifi signal ect and the last manager you spoke to said if it keeps happening they would replace it .. eventually they will give up reading support questions off a script and send you a hh5 as a replacement. 

You set up is rather similar to mine, bar the xbmc boxes i just have straight nas drives run through a powerline into a switch 

The only potential issue could be setting up the ps4s so they all play nice together , but we can help you through that if it doesnt all work out the box .

is your sky connected wired or wireless?

Just about to bath the kids, but I'll answer when I get back if you have replied.

HH3 for FTTC fibre or just adsl?

If FTTC I would drop the HH3 entirely and use PPPoE to connect to the Openreach modem and then connect everything to Netduma for optimium experience.

If still on ADSL then you will need HH3 as it will act as your modem. Not sure if you can put HH3 into modem mode (knowing BT probably not), but if not then you would connect Netduma to HH3 and put Netduma into the HH3 DMZ and turn off HH3 wifi. Then all peripherals would connect to Netduma via ethernet or wifi.

Hope that helps give you an idea of starting point.

forward planning :)

protip... phone bt get through to tech support , bang your head on desk repeatedly while you deal with tier 1 tech support and ask to be escalated to a manager by saying you phoned before as your homehub is acting up and keeps dropping wifi signal ect and the last manager you spoke to said if it keeps happening they would replace it .. eventually they will give up reading support questions off a script and send you a hh5 as a replacement. 

You set up is rather similar to mine, bar the xbmc boxes i just have straight nas drives run through a powerline into a switch 

The only potential issue could be setting up the ps4s so they all play nice together , but we can help you through that if it doesnt all work out the box .

is your sky connected wired or wireless?

Sky wireless actually works quite well with the Netduma so wouldnt be concerned if you need to go wireless or already are. I have two Sky boxes at different ends of house both wireless into Netduma and get good download speeds when using on demand HD.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah its FTTC, so I have a seperate modem then the BT HH3. SKY box is wired. Would it be beneficial for me to get a HH5?

No. Your optimal setup is to plug the Netduma straight into the Openreach modem on the wall (location permitting). Then you only have the Modem ----> Netduma -----> everything else.

From another user, when you connect via PPPoE you will need to enter your login details. Try the under noted. I think another user (maybe HH3 or HH4) was setup with those and they are generic and not user specific.

User name: [email protected]

Password: BT

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah its FTTC, so I have a seperate modem then the BT HH3. SKY box is wired. Would it be beneficial for me to get a HH5?

Well the HH5 has a built in modem so you wouldn't need the modem you have now, that's about it ( oh and HH5 new go for around £35 on *popular internet site* ;)

you could just connect the R1 direct to the modem and run everything thru it

theres a few different ways you could set everything up but with the amount of devices you have connected running everything trough the R1would be the best option 

Just thought I would give you guys a big THANK YOU.  R1 arrived this morning and I set it up as Buds suggested and its been working flawless since.  well done the Netduma team its the best peice of hardware I have ever purchased.

Just thought I would give you guys a big THANK YOU.  R1 arrived this morning and I set it up as Buds suggested and its been working flawless since.  well done the Netduma team its the best peice of hardware I have ever purchased.

Not a problem, glad you got it all up and running smoothly. Enjoy the new found simplicity and control (as well as better connections in games!) :)

Thank you much appreciated 

Archived