Jitter and the Scientific Method

shizz812

In good science everyone knows to only alter one variable at a time. Unfortunately I have changed two. Albeit inadvertently and completely unintentionally, it still happened.  And even though I am well aware that discounts everything else I will say, I would still like to share this information... This morning, I was playing on a server in Texas. The ping was was approximately a consistent 65ms and it was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I live in Southern Indiana so I typically play on midwestern servers. There's one in the Chicago area, another in St. Louis and every now and then I get connected to one in Atlanta(it is God awful, btw). The pings on the midwestern ones is usually 30ms but the jitter is all over the place. Never any consistency. But this Texas one, it was almost flat line. So even though the ping is higher, the game play was much better. I told you I changed two variables: typically I play in the evening but this morning, I had an hour to spare. I've never played at this time before. Maybe this is how mornings always are. Maybe this is common knowledge and I just never knew. Maybe it has nothing to do with the Texas server and the low jitter at all. But like I said, I still felt like I should share. Of course I will try this again this evening when I'm sure a much larger population is playing to see if I can replicate these results. I always feel like my post turn into rants and for that I apologize but maybe this helps someone. I know Iaian said he was working on some anti jitter stuff for the 1.03 update so I can't be that far off...Happy Gaming.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Beware of one thing, the large the ping gets the smaller the jitter looks because the graph zooms out. So if you have 5ms jitter and have a 10ms ping it will look huge, 1/2 of your graph. If you have 60ms jitter with 5ms it will be 1/12 of the graph.  So bear that in mind.

Beware of one thing, the large the ping gets the smaller the jitter looks because the graph zooms out. So if you have 5ms jitter and have a 10ms ping it will look huge, 1/2 of your graph. If you have 60ms jitter with 5ms it will be 1/12 of the graph.  So bear that in mind.

Thank you. That's good to know. But, the experience was phenomenal. We will see what happens this evening. 

Archived