Game Capture

blankplanet

Years ago I started a YT channel for fun but due to recent CODs not being that great I stopped during BO2. I have a standard Elgato that was new at the time and I know they've released updated models. For those of you doing gameplay what are you using? I did a video yesterday and was a bit let down by not being able to go full 1080p 60fps - I know I'll need to update my Vegas software too but would like suggestions. 

I really enjoy my HD60 and my HD60 Pro. Though if you are going for the absolute best looking capture you can get, go straight for the HD60 Pro. Sure they'll both do 1080p60, but the pro will let you record raw where the other only does h.264.

It all depends on your set up to be honest, you said your PC is in another room and said you have a laptop which cancels out the HDpro as that a IN PC card. I'd just go with the HD60, newest out of PC card and Elgato are known for being the best around for recording when it comes to console. I have the HD60pro and love it, Elgato software is next level which is also another reason to go with them.

It all depends on your set up to be honest, you said your PC is in another room and said you have a laptop which cancels out the HDpro as that a IN PC card. I'd just go with the HD60, newest out of PC card and Elgato are known for being the best around for recording when it comes to console. I have the HD60pro and love it, Elgato software is next level which is also another reason to go with them.

Agreed, it's very good. I was an early adopter of the first Elgato and used it to replace the Happauge HDPVR, the difference is night and day. The best feature would be the rewind. With older capture devices you'd either have to record one huge video or restart for each game. 

Agreed, it's very good. I was an early adopter of the first Elgato and used it to replace the Happauge HDPVR, the difference is night and day. The best feature would be the rewind. With older capture devices you'd either have to record one huge video or restart for each game. 

yep, I remember the EZcap days which weren't even HD and then when the HDPVR came along it kind of answered everyones prayers!

Then Elgato came out with the first Elgato and I think they stole pretty much all of Happauges customers and they've been the front runners ever since.

It's crazy to think how far the captures card have came in the last 5-6 years!

I use the Elgato HD60 and then get the raw .TS file and mux the sound from it, then put them both in Vegas Pro 13 and render using an external program to render. I will put a video below using said method :). Make sure to watch in 1440p 60fps.

If you're only doing pre-recorded footage e.g. NOT streaming... Then the standard USB Elgato HD60 will do you just fine depending on the speed of your laptop / PC processor.

However, as others have already recommended, the HD60 Pro is the best option for a PC with a free PCI-E slot because it truly is the "best of the best" right now on the market, hands down. There are Chinese / Korean knock offs of professional grade game capture devices big corporations (IGN, Gamespot, etc.) use, but most Pro-Sumers like yourself don't need this unless you are hardcore into having "the" best raw capture footage as a source and then going from there e.g. What Digital Foundry and other benchmark publications, do.

The other benefit is you can also attach / stream / record from anything that has a HDMI output.

A lot of people overlook this "feature" since it's aimed at capturing console game footage, but that's the point. It can capture and record anything that is output (input) to it by HDMI. This includes another PC, older consoles like the PS3, etc. So, you will get double your money's worth if you decide to invest in an internal capture card.

Looks great Rad!  

Elgato HD60 is more than fine if you do Rads method allowing for more bandwidth, somewhat reducing the youtube compression.

+Connor

Also, if you have multiple hdmi devices, I have an hdmi switch  that automatically changes as necessary then to to an HDMI splitter (also happens to remove hdcp) to allow for multiple outputs.  

Looks great Rad!  

Elgato HD60 is more than fine if you do Rads method allowing for more bandwidth, somewhat reducing the youtube compression.

+Connor

Also, if you have multiple hdmi devices, I have an hdmi switch  that automatically changes as necessary then to to an HDMI splitter (also happens to remove hdcp) to allow for multiple outputs.  

This is what I have, too.

It's great that in 2016, we finally have a unified transmission protocol (HDMI) that's all digital and carries both voice and video on the same signal. I remember the days of non-linear editing and having to split the audio with multiple RCA jacks. Oh, 1990s. How I *don't* miss, thee... ;)

Looks great Rad!  

+Connor

Yep your right i render in 1440p at 75mb so youtube gives less compression.

Archived