Fao - Doylebl12 Bell FO

Hi there.

so having now read up on everything I can find on Bells very unusual set up.

The simple answer is yes you can connect other devices, and actually you can bypass their router  ( AT ) entirely.

So to connect an R1 to the existing router , its quite simply a matter of correctly setting up the ADVANCED dmz feature on the AT , the only issue you will likely face is when bell swap ip leases you will need to reboot everything for anything connect to then reach the web again.

Iain -You can sort of fix this by adding an expect script (linux box) to the router if thats possible so the two lease times are in sync, basically you ping the bell router gateway if the ping works the script stops, if not it logs into the AT via shh and reboots the unit.

The second option is slightly more complicated but would allow you to remove the At entirely 

The issue is the Vlan the AT/bell uses 

So you would need to set up whatever modem/router you to "mimic" the AT)

So you'd need to clone its mac address, set up the new router with the right Vlan tagging 

i have the asus rt-n56u and was told that can replace the actiontec

You would need to set up the asus with the correct mac address not sure if you can clone a mac address on that router i would need to check and then set up the vlan but its possible in theory

and yes helping you set it up wouldnt be an issue at all 

Archived