"R1" is a terrible name for this product

I've only just pulled the trigger on an R1, but only after doing a lot of research to assure myself that a new model wasn't just around the corner, and even then I'm still not 100% convinced it isn't. It might as well be called the "Revision 1" or "Netduma 2014"! I'm not the only one and have read similar concerns from other people. The name seems to suggest R2 is almost assuredly coming soon and almost like I'm buying a beta product. It puts people off. I highly recommend you don't call the next one "R2" for the same reasons. I assure you there are people out there waiting for that "new and improved R2 model", just as I have been until now - that's lost business guys...!

Logic = I havent bought a ps4 because I am waiting for the ps5 :)

There are many precedents (PS1-3) to suggest that PS5 is not due for at least another 5 years. On the flip side there are many precedents for new, unknown companies that burn their customers big time. I don't think this is going to happen with Netduma but as a startup they should be doing everything they can to instill confidence. Giving a product a name which could effectively be interpreted as "Revision 1" does not help with that.

Peewii you obviously haven't been here very long. This is not the sort of company that burns its customers.

Hang out on the forums for a while and you will see you couldn't be further from the mark.

Oh...and welcome to the duma army :)

Doubt it cause the hardware manufacturer doesn't have any better hardware at the moment and even if they did release new hardware I believe the code would have to be updated to work with the new hardware... That's a lot of work to do. Don't worry you won't regret it lol

of course there will be a new model, might be next week might be next year might be 5 years. But one thing is for sure i will be getting it :)

Dude i am on it with you. 

Funny thing is you dont have to purchase any additional hardware like new version of router R2 etc. And yet in some time we will be delivered a evolved software that could easily be sold as a new router. But no buddy its free of charge to us.

Welcome to the DUMA ARMY buddy.

• Administrators

Hey peewii, thank you for your feedback, if that is what you think then its safe to say other people have also thought that as well. In regards to the hardware aspect of things, we're focused on the software to make it as good as possible our soon to be released upgrade will take the speeds to 900mbps+ which will cater to 99% of the internet pretty much. The only real reason for better hardware after that would be for the wifi really.

• Administrators

Thanks for the feedback Peewii, very helpful to know and thanks for ordering too. When you buy a Netduma you are effectively paying for two things:

A. Our unique software; and

B. The hardware we've installed our software on

We are a software company so our focus is to create new and improve existing features. These are released as free upgrades to our users.

So the only static element is the hardware, for which there are two conflicting truths:

1. The R1 hardware delivers everything a gaming household needs from a router. It's wifi range is excellent and reliable and the under the bonnet spec e.g. memory and processing speed, are fantastic; but 

2. Potential customers are being put off because the hardware is not dual band / AC (nor does not look like a mini-spaceship). 

Now on number 2, our opinion is that these extra wifi features are mostly frivolous and the only reason people expect to see them is because they have been finessed by the router giants into thinking they need these features. To prove this, ask yourself why do you need a router with wifi speeds of >1GB per second when your download speed is so much less, probably just 1% - 10% of that speed*? 

But, just because we believe this, does not mean we ignore feedback. So we will at some point release new hardware. Is it worth you, as an R1 owner, buying this new model? Almost certainly not, as it will make virtually no difference to your experience vs the R1. Will we offer a big discount to our R1 owners if they wish to have the new hardware? Definitely.

So to conclude, if you want a Netduma, I would recommend you buy one today. The true power of routers is in great software, so the sooner you get ours, the better. Don't hold out for hardware that will make very little difference to your experience.

*(I know there's more to wifi than just higher transmission speeds but the points stands)

Thanks for the feedback Peewii, very helpful to know and thanks for ordering too. When you buy a Netduma you are effectively paying for two things:

A. Our unique software; and

B. The hardware we've installed our software on

We are a software company so our focus is to create new and improve existing features. These are released as free upgrades to our users.

So the only static element is the hardware, for which there are two conflicting truths:

1. The R1 hardware delivers everything a gaming household needs from a router. It's wifi range is excellent and reliable and the under the bonnet spec e.g. memory and processing speed, are fantastic; but

2. Potential customers are being put off because the hardware is not dual band / AC (nor does not look like a mini-spaceship).

Now on number 2, our opinion is that these extra wifi features are mostly frivolous and the only reason people expect to see them is because they have been finessed by the router giants into thinking they need these features. To prove this, ask yourself why do you need a router with wifi speeds of >1GB per second when your download speed is so much less, probably just 1% - 10% of that speed*?

But, just because we believe this, does not mean we ignore feedback. So we will at some point release new hardware. Is it worth you, as an R1 owner, buying this new model? Almost certainly not, as it will make virtually no difference to your experience vs the R1. Will we offer a big discount to our R1 owners if they wish to have the new hardware? Definitely.

So to conclude, if you want a Netduma, I would recommend you buy one today. The true power of routers is in great software, so the sooner you get ours, the better. Don't hold out for hardware that will make very little difference to your experience.

*(I know there's more to wifi than just higher transmission speeds but the points stands)

*drops mic and walks off*

:P

I own the R1 and 2 x Netgear R7000's, I use 802.11AC via the R7000's, the Netduma is the brains of the operation doing everything wired, unless the R2 is an R2D2 inspired router, I'll stick with my Beastduma that has people calling me a hacker and more lol.

I have had the R1 for over six months now. When it arrived I unplugged the homehub5 and plugged the R1 in and it has run my entire home network since then with no issues at all. I have even spent time sat in the sun in the garden watching the Ashes on my iphone via wifi. :)

incase there ever will be a R2 i hopefully can send in my R1 early bird and have a signature on it from the entire team ;)

right now this isnt possible, i would be without my R1 for a few days :(

also Luke i see the no-mini-spaceship as a big plus lol, the current case is small, simple and great :)

I've had mine since the third week in December 2014. The Duma software has been updated for free on several occassions, with a big released planned for later this year.

In the time I have played BO1; BO2; MW3 and the BO3 Beta.

In that time the Geo Filter gave me great lobbies, and I had good and great games.

That alone is enough for me for the price I paid.

However now my wife can watch girl shows and surf the web thanks to Congestion Control, while I play and not impact those sweet lobbies.

If a new router co.es out next week I would buy it. I already have gotten money's worth vs my initial investment in relation to a very happy gamer and a happy household.

• Administrators

incase there ever will be a R2 i hopefully can send in my R1 early bird and have a signature on it from the entire team ;)

right now this isnt possible, i would be without my R1 for a few days :(

also Luke i see the no-mini-spaceship as a big plus lol, the current case is small, simple and great :)

We would definitely love to sign it for you if you would like us to do so! OUr handwriting is shocking though so it will look like somebody has sketched spaghetti on your router  :D

I've only just pulled the trigger on an R1, but only after doing a lot of research to assure myself that a new model wasn't just around the corner, and even then I'm still not 100% convinced it isn't. It might as well be called the "Revision 1" or "Netduma 2014"! I'm not the only one and have read similar concerns from other people. The name seems to suggest R2 is almost assuredly coming soon and almost like I'm buying a beta product. It puts people off. I highly recommend you don't call the next one "R2" for the same reasons. I assure you there are people out there waiting for that "new and improved R2 model", just as I have been until now - that's lost business guys...!

even if there is a new hardware release , we may have a discount for the software license on the R1..

Anyone who owns one would buy a new of if it came out tomorrow.But that's not how netduma operates,they may come out with a new one at some point and time ,just like XBOX,Playstation,apple,ford,chevy,bmw...etc.

The beauty knowledge is evolution and change,if a man looks at the world the same way he did at 20 as he does at 40,he missed 20 years of living.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered my R1 a few weeks ago, just a couple of days after I first heard of it with no worries about any future devices. So far I'm very happy with the hardware leaving the only thing missing an official wireless repeter "miniduma or dupeter" as someone called it. (This would also nicely solve the lack of 5ghz and guest network someone else was looking for.) What I also hope is that when the time comes for a R2, you have the software ready to chain the devices together and give us a second pie of device prioritisation and adjustable bandwith between them.

oh yeah, really like the simple design of the router but have to quote henry ford on this "....as long as it's black".

Great big thanks for all your hard work

Archived