Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Akic

DLNA issues

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

 

I'm having some serious issues with my DLNA servers, I spent quite a while testing different configs of routing to try to help you nail down the problem, this is a big issue for me so hopefully it's an easy fix.

 

I have 3 DLNA servers running to stream videos and music around the house. Since the R1 has become the main router they are no longer accesible on the LAN.  At first I thought it was just auto discovery that might be broken but it's much worse in that all packets from the DLNA servers seem to be getting blocked.

 

To explain further:

 

My old setup was like this  (we're only talking LAN side here so nothing to do with the internet)

 

DLNA Server - Unmanaged switch - Homeplug  ....Electricity cables......  Homeplug - Router's LAN port (DLNA client plugged into another router LAN port)

 

This worked fine, all DLNA servers were getting auto discvovered and streaming was normal.

 

I replaced my old router with the R1 in exactly the same config and the DLNA client cant auto discover or connect to the DLNA server.

 

For Testing I put my old router back in place of the R1 (glad I didn't wipe the config), all working back to normal.

 

For further testing I tried this config

 

DLNA Server - Unmanaged switch - Homeplug  ....Electricity cables......  Homeplug - Unmanaged switch -  Router's LAN port (DLNA Client & R1 plugged into Switch )
Again no dice.

 

Finally I tried to remove the R1 from the network so all LAN routing was via switches and homeplugs (fixed IP addresses rule :) ) so this config

 

DLNA Server - Unmanaged switch - Homeplug  ....Electricity cables......  Homeplug - Unmanaged switch - DLNA client

The DLNA servers all apeared again and streaming was back to normal

 

I then tried reconnecting the R1  to the switch while a video was streaming and immediatley the stream died, when I checked for the servers they were all missing again.

 

So for some reason if the R1 is connected to the LAN it immediatley kills all DLNA, this makes it impossible to set this up no matter how I route things since I can either have internet or DLNA streaming but not both.

 

This is quite a showstopper for me, the Mrs likes to listen to her music around the house so I've had to put my old router back in for now and swap it out for the R1 if I want to game which is a big PITA.

 

Regarding the R1, I reset all device prioritisation and congestion control stuff (I don't think it does anything LAN side anyway but worth a go) but it makes no difference.

 

I'm guessing it's some sort of routing problem, not sure if the homeplugs are adding to the problem but at the moment I have no way to test a config where the homeplugs are not involved without ripping things apart which I don't really want to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Akic,

 

if you can jump in chat at sometime we can debug this. Sounds like spanning tree algorithm is very confused. Are you available today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Akic,

 

if you can jump in chat at sometime we can debug this. Sounds like spanning tree algorithm is very confused. Are you available today?

 

I'll be available in an hour or so.  Speak then

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok see you in chat 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has now been resolved. 

 

Needed to disable multicast snooping to get this to work, Iain tells me there will be a checkbox for this in .7 firmware.

 

Excellent customer service AGAIN, really you're the best

 

Thaks Iain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Netduma_Iain

Need to disable IPv6 & multicast snooping. I will make sure the options are available in next update. Moving goals lol :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...