VPN, ports and geolocation

Old J

So guys.. I’ve been reading a lot of forum threads regarding how to spoof your location in COD using hybrid vpn. I find the threads to be somewhat hard to understand. My questions are as follows:

1. Which ports do you need to use and how do you input them the correct way (read a lot about you having to switch device type to TV etc). What’s the correct way?

2. Should UPNP be off for this to work and do we need to port forward required COD ports? 

3. Is that it? Is that the whole answer? Just use VPN on specific ports and force your desired server? 

And yes - I know it’s not what the product is designed to do. And yes - I know it’s possible to circumvent the SBMM in a certain degree. I’m a former PC player and been using NolagVPN. Their whole business idea is really to just use split tunneling VPN. Don’t answer on this thread if you still think it’s not possible to bypass SBMM. 

I BEG for someone who knows what they’re talking about to answer in an understandable way. I’m also more than happy with a DM regarding this manner. 

First of all i have to agree it is certainly possible to circumvent SBMM up to a certain point. I used to just use the Express VPN Desktop app to tunnel all my traffic to Egypt and our party would get easier and more mixed lobbies. This came with the downside of a worse connection on my part though and frequent packet loss.

That doesnt mean every lobby was a pubstomp though. The Lobbies were usually more varied with some very good and lots of average to below average players, which often seemed pretty balanced. It also wasnt unusual to still get super competitive Lobbies.

So for the next part just fiy, i just got my Netduma yesterday so i couldn't test any of this yet, but since noone replied yet i thought id share what i have learned so far.

I took my info mostly from this video from around 1:45 and some Forum posts stating the same.

So generally you want to VPN only Ports 3074 UDP and Port 443 TCP. Screenshot taken from Video above: image.png.faa6324659b05084c1f5d8f4864ba521.png

This will only redirect the matchmaking traffic to the VPN and not the "Gameplay Traffic". So when you tunnel to a far away location you will matchmake via a server there but it will still put you in games on a server close to you. And if it works it will trick the matchmaking into giving you easier lobbies. I dont know how well it works and i dont know if it makes sense to geofilter at the same time and how to set it up. I mainly plan to try this when Warzone 2 comes out. I think for normal CoD online lobbies this will not work that well, since games only require 12 people, so the game wont struggle that much to find enough people of your skill level even with the VPN Shenanigans.

Mind you all these Infos i found are regarding Warzone, i havent found anything specific to MW2, but i think it will work very similar.

If anyone has any more Infos or more experience with using this Method i would love to hear it.

I'll try to update once i was able to test a bit and let you guys know how it works.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

Small update, it definetly works to spoof the Location with Hybrid VPN to only UDP Port 3074 and TCP Port 443 as seen in the Screenshot in my last post. When connecting to games i still get into games with a low ping on a nearby server but my geolocation in the information tab in CoD MW2 shows me as being in the location i set the VPN to. From what i read it makes sense to tunnel to a location further away and with lower population numbers i.e. South america, middle east or Africa.

Cant confirm or deny yet if it does give easier lobbies.

Thanks for the reply! I guess it is as easy as I suspected.  I’ll test this later when the router arrives. I have an old xr300 at this point. Waiting for R2. 

If the location in-game has changed then it should be working. Just use your geofilter to force one of your closest servers. Ideally the server you feel has the best connection/hitreg for your individual setup. 

No worries, hope it works for you!

I am kinda curious on the technical side, why the SBMM doesnt work properly when doing this, since we would still be playing on our closest servers (One of the european Servers in my Case). So in theory there should still be plenty off evenly skilled players on those servers to match me with. So i dont know why just routing the matchmaking traffic through a different location would mess with that. But i haven't really seen an explanation on that.

But hey, as long as it works i'm happy.

If you’re an average or above average player the matchmaking system prioritise lobby skill over your individual ping. This means that your connection is only the second most important variable. By tricking the game to believe you are in another country  the game prioritise connection in a bigger degree than usual. Say your matchmaking traffic goes through Argentina. The game detects that you still get good ping on your closer servers, and puts you in the “first and best” lobby it can find connection wise. Normally you would get maybe 200 ping if you’re using VPN and connected to your local server, right? But now the game thinks that it’s found an absolute superb connection for you since you’re only routing your matchmaking traffic through Argentina. 

Thats the theory behind it. 

It works, no doubt about it. You won’t get bot lobbies every time though. Sometimes you even get sweaty af lobbies. But in the span of a whole gaming session you’ll notice that your opponents are weaker on average. 

Can someone please make a video or detailed directions on how to do this starting with installing a vpn and what vpn to use on dumaos. I use console so I can only vpn on router. I watched the video and it is like the guy is speaking another language. I have been wanting to use nolag vpn but I play console.