Thanks for that, when you factory reset previously, did you change anything else other than QoS settings? Have you disabled WMM in Advanced Wireless settings by any chance?

On 6/11/2021 at 7:05 AM, Netduma Liam said:

OK, in Traffic Prioritisation, could you please add a new rule for your device that you're running ping plotter on and select ICMP-Ping. This will now be a more accurate representation of what you're seeing in game. Could you then run a ping plotter and share the results with this rule enabled?

The spikes you're seeing there make sense as when you're running a connection benchmark, it's filling up the network queue to see how this is handled by QoS.

So then by prioing ICMP ping — you’re essentially emulating the gaming device on the network ; this way u can actual run a “live test” to see how those packets react?

23 minutes ago, CRarsenxL said:

So then by prioing ICMP ping — you’re essentially emulating the gaming device on the network ; this way u can actual run a “live test” to see how those packets react?

You're emulating the way they determine your ping but not the actual gaming traffic - it's independent of that

On 6/11/2021 at 2:15 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for that, when you factory reset previously, did you change anything else other than QoS settings? Have you disabled WMM in Advanced Wireless settings by any chance?

I dont think I changed WMM settings, no.

wCKUK31.png

So I downgraded to 114

It seems I get closer to full speed to my PC https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=7db2b654-fca2-417b-85d5-53241ea46af9
Also, It seems pingplotter isnt getting the massive ping spikes with QOS, but I still cant resolve the issues with pink spikes on DSLreport or waveform

I thought it may help to run some tests at various up and down limits on the QOS settings. I noticed that if upload is at anything but 100, I get a lot of latency:
For example, at 100% on upload, I have a very tight and low latency spread on upload, but if I lower it, it goes through the roof. I would assume if I set it lower, it would help with bloat.

This chart shows my tests at 70% download, and various upload, 95th% ping during upload bloat-test

tU0opka.png

But what is really confusing to me, is that lowering the upload from 100, while leaving download set to 70, has the same effect on the download latency

This chart shows my tests at 70% download, and various upload, 95th% ping during download bloat-test
1Pp0uPG.png

A little aside, lowering the slider for upload increase median ping for download, and lowers median ping for upload (but, again, at the cost of large ping spikes). 

1pxFjne.pngAXBXkh6.png

This seems not-so-bad, if I leave it at 70down/100up for QOS. Is that how its supposed to work? I did a lot of tests and transposed the data into tableau and found that combination produces the best results. Is this the best I can do? I feel like its in a good place via ping plotter and waveform, but a tiny improvement would get me that sexy A+ test. 

Thanks for this, that's interesting.

Out of interest, what is Connection Benchmark now reporting after the new firmware was installed? Did you also factory reset after the new firmware? If not, this could be a reason we're seeing these anomalies. Ideally you'd like to have the upload slider in Congestion Control lower as currently DumaOS won't have much control.

6 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for this, that's interesting.

Out of interest, what is Connection Benchmark now reporting after the new firmware was installed? Did you also factory reset after the new firmware? If not, this could be a reason we're seeing these anomalies. Ideally you'd like to have the upload slider in Congestion Control lower as currently DumaOS won't have much control.

I dont see connection benchmark on this version. 

Tests like Waveform can be negatively impacted by Traffic Prioritization so I'd stick with PingPlotter which is what we normally suggest or disable Traffic Prio completely and retry those tests.

OK, checking back in. If ANYTHING is connected to the router (wemo light switch, ring doorbell - even inactive, wifes phone, my phone, my computer, etc), I get ENORMOUS latency spikes playing games. if I block everything I get really good games. 

I have my ISP coming out again tomorrow, and then I will be switching out my equipment (modem and router). I feel like I am better off with a ISP provided gateway. Is there a reason to buy another router with dumaOS? It sounds like you guys have no idea why QOS, across multiple versions and settings, makes my connection worse. I had my eye on the R2 since I dont really use wifi much, but the XR1000 also seemed like an option. I just cannot believe with all the testing I have done the answer is "retry the tests." I did (actually, with keeping records) 100+ tests with various QOS settings and software versions,  and they all show QOS makes it worse. At best QOS doesnt make it better.  

Is this a router problem? Is it DumaOS not working? Is it my Modem? Is it the ISP? Honestly, I am at the point where gaming just isnt fun anymore. 

I appreciate the help troubleshooting, but this unit seems straight up broken. 

7 hours ago, WACK said:

OK, checking back in. If ANYTHING is connected to the router (wemo light switch, ring doorbell - even inactive, wifes phone, my phone, my computer, etc), I get ENORMOUS latency spikes playing games. if I block everything I get really good games. 

I have my ISP coming out again tomorrow, and then I will be switching out my equipment (modem and router). I feel like I am better off with a ISP provided gateway. Is there a reason to buy another router with dumaOS? It sounds like you guys have no idea why QOS, across multiple versions and settings, makes my connection worse. I had my eye on the R2 since I dont really use wifi much, but the XR1000 also seemed like an option. I just cannot believe with all the testing I have done the answer is "retry the tests." I did (actually, with keeping records) 100+ tests with various QOS settings and software versions,  and they all show QOS makes it worse. At best QOS doesnt make it better.  

Is this a router problem? Is it DumaOS not working? Is it my Modem? Is it the ISP? Honestly, I am at the point where gaming just isnt fun anymore. 

I appreciate the help troubleshooting, but this unit seems straight up broken. 

My apologies if the troubleshooting process has been frustrating for you, the primary reason for this is because it's not an issue that we've seen before, it doesn't really make sense.

Once you ISP has installed new equipment, let us know how you get on with it and we can proceed from there if you wish to, though I do understand your frustrations.