Bar8arian

Factory Reset not working, R2 seems to be bricked

Hello, 

My Netduma R2 failed on me twice today killing the internet to the house. After power cycling the router and verifying that the router was not working properly by doing the following

• plugged directly into the router, no IP address handed out by DHCP
  • plugged directly into the modem, intertner worked. 

I decided the next course of action would be to restore the factory defaults to the router and start from square one. I held down the reset button for ~30 seconds, waited for about a minute and plugged the ethernet cables back in. The NIC activity lights would blink and then go dark for about 3 seconds and repeat. No ip address were handed out by DHCP. I tried setting the NIC on the desktop to use the 192.168.77.X subnet and set the default gateway as 192.168.77.1, nothing happened. 

Am I doing something wrong? Should I hold the button down longer? As of right now I have no way of accessing the console of the router, DHCP isn't working, and everything is pointing to this router being bricked. 

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear that! If you remove the static IP you've set on the NIC, then go to your command prompt and issue the command 'ipconfig', what IP address do you then get if at all?

I get an APIPA 169.X.X.X when i remove the static ip. DHCP isnt working on the router. 

Can you confirm that a factory reset is performed by holding down the back reset button while the unit is powered on for >25 seconds? 

17 minutes ago, Bar8arian said:

Can you confirm that a factory reset is performed by holding down the back reset button while the unit is powered on for >25 seconds? 

Yes that's correct, hold for 30 seconds, release, wait 2 minutes then attempt access.

1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes that's correct, hold for 30 seconds, release, wait 2 minutes then attempt access.

No luck. Held down for 30, waited for 2 min, plugged in and nothing. Still no DHCP. Power cycled waited 2 min, still no DHCP. 

Tried on 2 different machines, one Mac one Windows. 

Unplug the router from the power for 10 minutes, plug in, wait 2 minutes, then attempt access, if it doesn't work then try the reset one more time please.

5 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Unplug the router from the power for 10 minutes, plug in, wait 2 minutes, then attempt access, if it doesn't work then try the reset one more time please.

Did this twice. Something seems to be preventing it from booting. I'm not even getting a 169.X.X.X address anymore, the activity light for the port on the router flashes a few times and then goes dark for 3 seconds over and over again. 

There is something seriously wrong with this hardware. Is there a process for a replacement or RMA? 

On 4/26/2021 at 9:00 AM, Bar8arian said:

done and done. Thanks! 

@Netduma Fraser I've sent 2 emails to [email protected] and I haven't heard back from anyone, not even an automated email. Is that the right address to start an RMA process? 

22 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's the correct one yes, did you email using the email associated with your forum account? I'll chase it for you and hopefully get you a response tomorrow.

Yes sir, I sent the email from the address associated with this Forum User. However the email address I used to purchase the Netduma is a different one associated with my paypal. Appreciate the help. 

44 minutes ago, Bar8arian said:

Yes sir, I sent the email from the address associated with this Forum User. However the email address I used to purchase the Netduma is a different one associated with my paypal. Appreciate the help. 

Okay thank you, I've let them know, please post again if you don't get a response by this time tomorrow.