Mitch

Netduma R2 stuck on reboot loop

Hello all,

I've recently been experiencing reboot loops with my R2. It started when I lost connection all of a sudden and which I assumed was a normal network drop so I logged into my R2 to reboot it. It didn’t go through (it was stuck on loading) so I unplugged it (10 sec wait time) then plugged it back in. As it reboots the internet LED just blinks then switches off over and over. I’ve left it for 20 mins to no avail so I had to reset it. After the reset I was able to get in so I updated to the new firmware (forum showed there was one) and after it rebooted it has gone back to the reboot loop. I had to unplug it which I’m assuming has now caused it to have a bad install, it’s now stuck ever since. I have left it unplugged for 4 hours so far and checked it and it looks like my router is bricked. 

can anyone assist me on this? I had just bought it a few months ago. 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. How is it connected to power, is it direct to a wall outlet or using a power extender? If an extender go direct to the wall, see if the LEDs stop indicating it is rebooting. If so then connect your PC to it, if you can't get access then open command prompt on your PC and type ipconfig and press enter, then post the results here please.

On 3/5/2021 at 8:10 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. How is it connected to power, is it direct to a wall outlet or using a power extender? If an extender go direct to the wall, see if the LEDs stop indicating it is rebooting. If so then connect your PC to it, if you can't get access then open command prompt on your PC and type ipconfig and press enter, then post the results here please.

Good morning Fraser,

It's connected via a powerstrip. I tried putting it direct to wall friday night and it still wouldn't work. I was able to login saturday around 2am and went ahead and reinstalled the newest software and also did a factory reset as recommended in the instructions. I am noticing that eventhough my connection is stable, whenever I do a reboot it starts going into loop and still takes upwards of 10 minutes to fully login after finagling. At this point it feels like a hit or miss and I am concerned that this will get worse and it seems as though the newest software hasn't fixed this. Attached is the ipconfig. 

image.png

Okay progress that is good. How are you rebooting it usually - are you unplugging it and then replugging it in? If so, reboot from the interface, does it still take as long or is it quicker?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay progress that is good. How are you rebooting it usually - are you unplugging it and then replugging it in? If so, reboot from the interface, does it still take as long or is it quicker?

good morning Fraser, 

I did all combinations I can think of all night from replugging via powerstrip/direct outlet as well as using the phone app/PC browser interface. The issue still exists.

• route 1: With ethernet disconnected and with LAN devices connected.
  • route 2: With ethernet connected and with LAN devices disconnected.
  • route 3: With nothing connected except power.
  • route 4: route 1/2/3 was used + modem was rebooted while the router was on loop.
  • route 5: route 1/2/3 was used + left the router off for 10 seconds prior to turning it on.
  • route 6: route 1/2/3 was used + left the router off for 20 seconds prior to turning it on.
  • route 7: route 1/2/3 was used + left the router off for 4 minutes prior to turning it on.
  • route 8: route 1/2/3 was used + left the router off for 10 minutes prior to turning it on.
  • route 9: route 1/2/3 was used + left the router off for 30 minutes prior to turning it on.

Last route below baffles be but it has worked 2 out of 5 times or perhaps by sheer luck. 

• route 10: route 1/2/3 was used + left the router off for 2 minutes prior to turning on. Reboot lasted around 5-7 minutes.

Thanks for that. Could you unplug the router from power fully for 24 hours please? That is enough time for the residual power to drain, it can also help with weird issues like this.

On 3/9/2021 at 12:16 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Thanks for that. Could you unplug the router from power fully for 24 hours please? That is enough time for the residual power to drain, it can also help with weird issues like this.

Hello Fraser,

Here are my findings after leaving the router unplugged for 36 hours:

1st pass: nothing plugged in except power, wifi was off. Reboot went through.

2nd pass: nothing plugged in except power, wifi was on. Reboot went though.

3rd pass: everything plugged in (ethernet, 3 LAN ports used), wifi was on. Reboot went through although I noticed that I cannot login to the interface, verified on both phone app and PC browser. I rebooted my modem, wifi started working but LAN wasn't. PC was restarted to verify IP lease was renewed.

4th pass: I had to manually unplug the router because of 3rd pass issue. Re-plugged and was stuck on a reboot loop for 15 minutes.

5th pass: I had to manually unplug the router because of 4th pass issue, waited 2 mins then re-plugged. Reboot went through (duration 3-4 mins) but I noticed that it looked like it was on reboot loop for the first minute.

What do you think could be happening in this case?

Thank you for trying that. It could be that the router or power adapter is faulty. Do you have another power adapter of similar voltage that would fit in the R2 to see whether that resolves it?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you for trying that. It could be that the router or power adapter is faulty. Do you have another power adapter of similar voltage that would fit in the R2 to see whether that resolves it?

ok, I'll look into it later tonight. I cannot unplug it today since people in my household are using it for work.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey Fraser, 

I used my old ASUS adapter. Here are my findings:

1st pass: Plugged into direct outlet. Waited 2 mins then re-plugged. Left plugged in for 10 minutes, stuck on reboot loop the entire time.

2nd pass: Plugged via power strip. Waited 2 mins then re-plugged.  Left plugged in for 10 minutes, stuck on reboot loop the entire time.

3rd pass: Went back to the original adapter. Plugged via power strip. Waited 2 mins then re-plugged. Reboot completed in 2:35 and looked like it was stuck on reboot loop for 2 minutes.

it really looks like there's a hit or miss situation going on here and it starts working on the 3rd or 4th try.

11 hours ago, Mitch said:

Hey Fraser, 

I used my old ASUS adapter. Here are my findings:

1st pass: Plugged into direct outlet. Waited 2 mins then re-plugged. Left plugged in for 10 minutes, stuck on reboot loop the entire time.

2nd pass: Plugged via power strip. Waited 2 mins then re-plugged.  Left plugged in for 10 minutes, stuck on reboot loop the entire time.

3rd pass: Went back to the original adapter. Plugged via power strip. Waited 2 mins then re-plugged. Reboot completed in 2:35 and looked like it was stuck on reboot loop for 2 minutes.

it really looks like there's a hit or miss situation going on here and it starts working on the 3rd or 4th try.

Thanks for the update, could you also just confirm which firmware version you're currently on? Not that this is a known issue with any of them, but more so that we can rule out somethings! 

3 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Thanks for the update, could you also just confirm which firmware version you're currently on? Not that this is a known issue with any of them, but more so that we can rule out somethings! 

Good morning Liam,

I am on the version below.

image.png.c4f9ed7e570fa6a7e63e4f5554fc298d.png

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I think we'll need to get you a replacement, it certainly shouldn't be doing that and it's not the power adapter either. Please email [email protected] with a link to this topic and your order number and we can sort that out for you.

Thanks for looking into my case, Fraser. I will be sending out my info shortly.