Jump to content
Concealed

High ping and lag spikes on XR1000

Recommended Posts

Ive had my netgear nighthawk pro XR1000 for a few months now and I've always seemed to have an issue with random lag spikes every few minutes and I've sort of dealer with it. But now as of late, most of the devices in my house when gaming receive very high ping. Like very high ping, one ps4 had ping around 900's while the other ps4 had it in the high 500's. My lan connected pc which I have designated a static ip too, also receives high ping in the high 100's. I've also noticed my internet becomes more stable with qos disabled. Any ideas as to what can be causing the random lag spikes and high ping? I have 1 gb download and 40 upload for internet speeds. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In what way does the internet become more stable with QoS disabled? Are you experiencing any random drops with QoS enabled or just generally limited speeds? How do you have QoS enabled, could you provide a screenshot? Are you experiencing the lag spikes in game with QoS enabled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

In what way does the internet become more stable with QoS disabled? Are you experiencing any random drops with QoS enabled or just generally limited speeds? How do you have QoS enabled, could you provide a screenshot? Are you experiencing the lag spikes in game with QoS enabled?

So to answer your questions in order, it becames more stable with less lag spikes but they still occur and I get much higher speeds. To answer your second question it's usually all over the place, days where it will randomly disconnect devices and days where it's very slow. I experience lag spikes whether Qos is on or disabled I've just noticed I get less spikes when Qos is disabled

qos.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are these the QoS settings you were using? Nothing is active at all. You really need to fine tune QoS and it will then give you much better results. 

I've tried fine tuning it multiple times, still no difference. Plus I have gigabyte speeds so it wouldn't make much of a difference. I think there's an issue with Qos itself because I just renabled it and started to lag really bad on my lan connected Pc. I have major lag spikes of 5-10 seconds than it repeats every so minutes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is your exact physical setup? Are ALL devices connected to the XR? What game are you playing where you're lagging? Are you using the Geo-Filter? If you're not prioritizing the game then it will be put in a network queue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Netduma Fraser said:

What is your exact physical setup? Are ALL devices connected to the XR? What game are you playing where you're lagging? Are you using the Geo-Filter? If you're not prioritizing the game then it will be put in a network queue. 

what do you mean by physical setup? Yes all devices are connected to it. It's not just one game, its multiple, Apex legends, fortnite, and call of duty warzone primarily. And that same lag freeze from 5-10 seconds that i mentioned earlier happens on all games. I have geo filter but dont use it on strict for my pc since lobby queue take longer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As in, what is the XR connected to in order to receive internet - a pure modem (no wifi), modem/router (wifi), ONT etc?

Do you notice the ping go up when you have this freeze? Even if you don't want to use Congestion Control, adding the PC as a games console on Traffic Prioritization would help with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As in, what is the XR connected to in order to receive internet - a pure modem (no wifi), modem/router (wifi), ONT etc?

Do you notice the ping go up when you have this freeze? Even if you don't want to use Congestion Control, adding the PC as a games console on Traffic Prioritization would help with this.

It is connected to a single modem provided from spectrum. I have an internet panel when playing in-game to see ping and packet loss etc, when the freeze happens I notice the ping and packet loss sky rocket and then when the freeze finishes they go back to normal. It's happened multiple times and friends I play with say it doesnt happen to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you try with Congestion Control and Traffic Prio enabled and see if it works any better? Can you also provide a screenshot of the QoS page of the settings you use when testing please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...