Xbox Lowering my Ping/Latency....

With the exception to one in Europe.  I live in Michigan.   For whatever reason when the game starts it says all the servers are blocked.  And when I set the geofilter to my home location it says the only server that isn't blocked is in Europe. here are some screen shots. 

I'm new to this.  I'm using the Ping heatmap to find the warzone servers, then I go to the geofilter and sometimes it makes me login again but doesn't load, it just has that spinning wheel so I reload the page.  that's about it.  I might be missing a step or have something incorrectly set. QoS is set to 70/70.  I have the router bridged from my xfinity modem.  It seemed to work alright when I first used it then it stopped working and I had to restart my console and then the router itself. Ping Assist is at 30.  Distance is at 500.  And that's about it.  Any help would be appreciated. I'd really like the ability to connect to a server not in europe lol.

blocked servers.png

server.png

Welcome to the forum! 

So that server in Europe is an authentication server, it won't have any effect on your in-game experience or anything. 

Could you try expanding your search radius a little bit? I'm not sure if there's a server within that radius.

On 2/1/2021 at 7:13 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Welcome to the forum! 

So that server in Europe is an authentication server, it won't have any effect on your in-game experience or anything. 

Could you try expanding your search radius a little bit? I'm not sure if there's a server within that radius.

That worked for the most part.  I do notice I can never connect to anything in polygon mode and I can't connect when ping assist is at 0 really. 

7 hours ago, greengrow said:

That worked for the most part.  I do notice I can never connect to anything in polygon mode and I can't connect when ping assist is at 0 really. 

OK sure, where abouts are you drawing your polygons? I'd suggest using ping heatmap to locate the best servers nearby and then draw polygons around them in Geo-filter!

• 3 weeks later...

Alright here's another question.  I have the xr1000, which lacks the hybrid VPN capabilities for some reason.  Which is horribly stupid, imo.   And without the ability to change my region Call of Duty basically refuses to connect me to games in different locations around the country, regardless of the ping.  Sometimes it will connect me after like 5-10minutes.  Is there a solution where I could use a third party VPN on my wired connection?   If not now, when because this seems like an urgent issue all users are having trouble with, some even going as far as to return the router itself.  What advice do you have for people without the ability to use a VPN?

• Administrators

You definitely should not need a VPN to connect to servers that close by. Can you provide a screenshot of the entire Geo-Filter page please of when you're trying to get a Miami server? You could use a VPN if you bridge the console connection to the PC.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You definitely should not need a VPN to connect to servers that close by. Can you provide a screenshot of the entire Geo-Filter page please of when you're trying to get a Miami server? You could use a VPN if you bridge the console connection to the PC.

miami.png

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Are you enabling the Geo-Filter/changing settings when you're already on the game prior to matchmaking?

I've been settings everything up before launching the game.  It seems like SOMETIMES it'll connect to a game on the miami server but a lot of the time it loses connection or something.  It's only 55ping it shouldn't be that big of a deal I figured.   Basic process.

-Geo-Filter set to on.

-select server area I want to target.

-launch game.

-search.

-wait.

-wait.

-wait.

It found a game after about 10minutes so technically it "works" but it's still a long time waiting for a match.  and it seems like I've got to restart the entire game after every match of warzone in order for it to find another match.  I'll allow the server and then it'll change so I'll allow it again but that doesn't seem to do anything particularly.

What are the ideal settings for geo-filtering?  auto ping on or off?  ping assist 0? QoS 70/70? I mean I feel like i've followed the steps I've even gotten my IPv6 working correctly.  Should it be in DMZ?  I've got all the ports forwarded properly.  it's a little wonky still learning.

Setting ping assist to a around 30-40 ms would give you more options and therefore in theory reduce the search times you're experiencing, but if you're trying to specify exact servers you want to connect to with your radius, ping assist would bypass this and connect to servers outside of your radius as long as they're offering a low enough ping.

14 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Setting ping assist to a around 30-40 ms would give you more options and therefore in theory reduce the search times you're experiencing, but if you're trying to specify exact servers you want to connect to with your radius, ping assist would bypass this and connect to servers outside of your radius as long as they're offering a low enough ping.

fair enough.

Separate Question.  How do I add my friends that are on playstation and PC when I'm on xbox?  Their icon never shows up even after joining on my lobby.  Does cross-platform work the same way?

6 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Are you fully zoomed out on Geo-filter? I noticed that when I do this the icon sometimes appears in the US.

I try to keep it fully zoomed out yes.  My friend in Ontario never shows up and I mean never and I've tried it multiple ways.

Question: If I turn off filter mode once in game to allow them into party and then turn it back on will it still work or do the settings revert to as if there is no geo-filter?

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, greengrow said:

I try to keep it fully zoomed out yes.  My friend in Ontario never shows up and I mean never and I've tried it multiple ways.

Question: If I turn off filter mode once in game to allow them into party and then turn it back on will it still work or do the settings revert to as if there is no geo-filter?

You can try that but if you do then wait 2 minutes before searching for a game again otherwise it may not filter correctly. Are they playing on a different platform to you?

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You can try that but if you do then wait 2 minutes before searching for a game again otherwise it may not filter correctly. Are they playing on a different platform to you?

Yes. I'm on Xbox Series X and my friend is on PS4 and the other is on PC.   The PS4 and PC players do not show up.  The one in Ontario on PS4 never shows up and I play with them a lot.  and have to turn filter mode off just to join on his game.  It's quite annoying.  It doesn't seem to be a problem for my friends on xbox though.

10 hours ago, greengrow said:

Yes. I'm on Xbox Series X and my friend is on PS4 and the other is on PC.   The PS4 and PC players do not show up.  The one in Ontario on PS4 never shows up and I play with them a lot.  and have to turn filter mode off just to join on his game.  It's quite annoying.  It doesn't seem to be a problem for my friends on xbox though.

Thank you, so it's working if you turn it off beforehand though? I realise that's inconvenient, at least there's a work around though. Is your friend on XBOX using DumaOS too or do you just mean you only have to do the above when your PC friend joins?

On 2/26/2021 at 7:38 AM, Netduma Liam said:

Thank you, so it's working if you turn it off beforehand though? I realise that's inconvenient, at least there's a work around though. Is your friend on XBOX using DumaOS too or do you just mean you only have to do the above when your PC friend joins?

Well there's a few examples I can think of that happened while filter mode was on and I had allowed my friend on xbox but it won't connect to party chat unless I turn filtering mode off.  Is there an Xbox Live Server I should be allowing? 

example #1 friend lives 10minutes from my house and Party Chat will not connect.  I turn off filtering mode and it allows them in but then does not filter properly.

example #2 friend lives in Alabama and Party Chat will not connect even if he's on the allowed list, which they are.  I turn off filtering mode and I can connect.

example #3 friend lives in Ontario and plays on Playstation 4, I play on Xbox Series X.  I cannot see him as a peer to allow into the allowed section.  Again I must turn off filter just to join his game on warzone.  He usually hosts when we play so I join him rather than the other way around, which always seems to work.  He can join on me but I can't join on him.

example #4 friend is on PC and lives near me.   It will not find his peer connection or whatever so I can add them.  It simply doesn't show up.  I'm not sure if this is simply because I'm on xbox or what. 

And even if I have these friends on the allowed list the actual connection to the party chat on xbox live does not connect unless filtering mode is off.

so to summarize.  I'm having trouble connecting to my friends in xbox live party chat if they're on xbox and then I'm also having trouble connecting to my friends actual game session on PC and PS4.  There's ways to get it to sort of working but then I lose the ability to geo-filter altogether and the router becomes pointless.  For simplicity's sake we'll just say I'm trying to force Miami even though it would be similar if I tried Texas or Seattle.  And when I do that nobody can connect even if they're allowed.  I'm not really sure how to resolve it at this point. I'd ask them for their IP addresses to add but I'm not sure if that's even possible.

• Administrators

Currently cross platform friends do not appear on the Geo-Filter - they must be doing this via a different port that isn't covered or by going through an existing server - that's something we'll look at - usually though it doesn't filter them so they can join anyway. If you're not hosting the lobby then I would recommend you disable the filter anyway - even if they could join they may join a server that you block and so you could get booted out. 

Make sure you are fully zoomed out on the map and try the party chat - you may see a server that is blocked that you can allow. Not possible to whitelist a specific IP at this time.