Jump to content
iMoD1998

XR700 - Ethernet ports bandwidth shared

Recommended Posts

Hi, im just checking if the ethernet port bandwidth on the XR700 is shared across all the ports. (forgot the technical term) 

I'm currently using 10GB SFP+ for a NAS but two clients cant seem to maintain gigabit connections at the same time.

I've made sure that IO isnt a problem.

I just want to check if I may have misconfigured something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, iMoD1998 said:

Hi, im just checking if the ethernet port bandwidth on the XR700 is shared across all the ports. (forgot the technical term) 

I'm currently using 10GB SFP+ for a NAS but two clients cant seem to maintain gigabit connections at the same time.

I've made sure that IO isnt a problem.

I just want to check if I may have misconfigured something.

Yes I believe it is shared if memory serves me right but only up to a gig and then there will be the overheads which will lower the throughput a tad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, Newfie said:

Yes I believe it is shared if memory serves me right but only up to a gig and then there will be the overheads which will lower the throughput a tad.

Thanks for the info,.

If I can get it working ill post the solution here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fiefo said:

Is the xr1000 Ethernet bandwidth shared as well? 

If you are asking if you have a 1 gig line into the router the answer is they will share that 1 gig and not have 1 gig throughput each if you had all the ports connected for obvious reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What port ranges do you suggest for the xr1000 ps5?  For traffic prio 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, Newfie said:

Yes I believe it is shared if memory serves me right but only up to a gig and then there will be the overheads which will lower the throughput a tad.

@Netduma Fraser looks like bandwidth between ports are shared as far as I can tell which honestly has left me with no words.

image.thumb.png.7c5dbaae74c040e0f0a2df49b013c98b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So even the xr1000 shares equal bandwidth through Ethernet ports? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, iMoD1998 said:

@Netduma Fraser looks like bandwidth between ports are shared as far as I can tell which honestly has left me with no words.

image.thumb.png.7c5dbaae74c040e0f0a2df49b013c98b.png

Thanks for the information, @altsai could you take a look at this and confirm whether this is expected behavior or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Netduma Fraser I understand everyone is busy but it was 3 days. 

Also that response doesn't make a lot of sense.

Are they trying to say that 2gbps is maximum throughput of all the ports as a whole?

In this scenario that isn't true.

External switch?

Network process?

If so what was the point of advertising that the 10GB SFP+ port could be used for a NAS or even for a WAN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So from what I can tell from online. Mainly from DDWRT is that the ports count as 1 actual port but netgear use VLANS to separate them meaning they all share the same bandwidth.

However, I believe the 2 used for aggregation probably are separate ports otherwise it wouldn't do anything.   

If I'm right, this is a joke considering how its advertised that the 10Gb port can specifically be used for giving more bandwidth to the NAS which is just untrue if nothing can actually utilise it even as a WAN. 

image.png.184a6c1cb2819d2574c9848eec2d5bdc.png

Pathetic for a router that cost me £300+

I'd be re-evaluating the partnership with netgear because of this and all the crap they pull with just slapping DumaOS as a nice front end on their crap filled implementation. 

I mean seriously, it doesn't even have local DNS and fights Linux at every step despite running it.

Shame I missed the return window.

Hoping for a good recommendation for an actual 10Gb router because even if this is a bug, I doubt it will be fixed in my lifetime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...