R2 router has stopped working

Javier

Hello, my router is no longer working, it won’t connect to the internet hardwired or through wifi. It turns on and the light that is for the Ethernet cable connected to the modem is blinking, the power light is solid and the 2.4ghz light is blinking as well. It was working fine till this morning, I downloaded the new firmware update 2 days ago and I’m not sure if it has to do with that. I’ve tried using a different Ethernet cable between the router and modem, I have reset the router and modem, and then factory reset the router which also did not fix the issue. I connected my old router in to my modem to see if that would work and it did without issue. I called my service provider as well to make sure there’s no issue from their end and they said there was not. I was wondering what my next steps should be.

• Administrators

Sorry to hear you're having this issue, first of all do you have access to the interface? What is the model of your modem? 

This morning did you access the router and change any settings or was it just like this when you woke up?

Hey, so I sorta found out the issue. It seems to be that the netduma router just stopped working with my modem. If I plug it in directly to the modem it doesn’t work, but if I plug it into another router, and then that router is plugged into the modem, the netduma router will get internet via wifi and Ethernet. Although the wifi is kinda janky but I assume that’s because it’s going through a different router first? I’ve purchased another modem to check and see if that fixes it, but it doesn’t come in till the 29th so I’ll update then. I have the stock modem that spectrum gives btw, I’m not sure if it’s because of the new firmware update or if it was just a coincidence but I’ll update this post when I can. Thanks for responding.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, AnwarPy said:

Me having the same issue, using ethernet and firmware R2 3.0.179

What is your exact physical setup? What is the modem/router model? 

Do you require PPPoE or anything like that to get a connection?

So I’m back again, I got my new modem, it’s the arris SB6183 and it did not fix my issue. So I just want to clear up what I happened and what I have tried so far.

my internet stopped working completely a few days ago, nothing had changed except that I downloaded the newest firmware update, (3.0.179), about two days before my router stopped connecting to the internet. Here are the things that I have tried to fix it with while still in the 3.0.179 update: 

-reboot router / reboot modem

-factory reset router / factory rest modem

-tried different Ethernet cables

-contacted service provider (spectrum) to make sure there is no issues with my area or internet. (They said there are no issues on their end)

-purchased a new modem (arris sb6183) compatible and set up with service provider over the phone.

-downloaded the old firmware update (3.0.123) back to my router and tried with both modems

my internet does not need anything special for it to work. It only needs a modem connected to a router via a Ethernet cable. One thing does work however, and that’s if I connect my old router into my modem and then connect the netduma router into the primary router. Then it works fine without issue. I’m not sure why that’s the only way it works. What should I do next?

The original modem model is Spectrum D3.1 eMTA 

The other router model is RAC2V1A 802.11ac Wave 2 Router

• Administrators

I can't find much on your modem model unfortunately, does it have any firewall or QoS options you can disable on it?

If you ask the ISP for the static details for the connection i.e. IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway then you could try putting that into the R2 for static WAN details and see if it works.

• Administrators

Okay so that looks fine BUT the IP you posted on yesterday is much different from the information you have given there - it doesn't fit within the number of hosts for that subnet mask/gateway. So it looks like your IP is dynamic so it wouldn't work. Could you get them to switch you to a static IP?

Yes, like I said in previous messages, it’ll work if I connect it into another router. But why did it stop working all of a sudden after like 4 months of working without issue? Nothing has changed...

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Javier said:

Yes, like I said in previous messages, it’ll work if I connect it into another router. But why did it stop working all of a sudden after like 4 months of working without issue? Nothing has changed...

I've sent you a PM, please have a look and then post back here please.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Javier said:

Can I send it in to you guys to be repaired or replaced since it’s not working like it’s supposed to? 

It will be a software issue not hardware so it's quite possible it would happen on a replacement unit as well. I'd suggest waiting for the update that should improve it as I don't think a replacement would help but if you prefer you can request a replacement by emailing [email protected]

Kind of a similar issue here as well, bought the XR500 more than 2 years ago, later on upset with the lack of updates and the issues the official and beta firmwares have, but at the same time i have noticed the frustration in the NetDuma support team, apparently their hands are tied and netgear has the final say if an update gets pushed or not, so i decided maybe i should get an R2, and i did, got mine last week, set it up with direct connection to my modem, disabled WiFi, sat the XR500 as an access point.

Setup ran smoothly for a few days until one day during a zoom call, it decided to stop working, all of my devices stopped working, one by one, apparently DHCP leases were expiring, and the R2's DHCP stopped working. Gave my computer a static ip, accessed the main page, but it was very very slow, disabled IPv6, i don't use it, rebooted, issue still there. i have done everything except for factory settings. Disconnected it, reconfigured my XR500 as the sole router and decided i'll mess with it again this weekend. Any idea why it happened? is the last firmware from october? no new updates soon?

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, kezanian said:

Kind of a similar issue here as well, bought the XR500 more than 2 years ago, later on upset with the lack of updates and the issues the official and beta firmwares have, but at the same time i have noticed the frustration in the NetDuma support team, apparently their hands are tied and netgear has the final say if an update gets pushed or not, so i decided maybe i should get an R2, and i did, got mine last week, set it up with direct connection to my modem, disabled WiFi, sat the XR500 as an access point.

Setup ran smoothly for a few days until one day during a zoom call, it decided to stop working, all of my devices stopped working, one by one, apparently DHCP leases were expiring, and the R2's DHCP stopped working. Gave my computer a static ip, accessed the main page, but it was very very slow, disabled IPv6, i don't use it, rebooted, issue still there. i have done everything except for factory settings. Disconnected it, reconfigured my XR500 as the sole router and decided i'll mess with it again this weekend. Any idea why it happened? is the last firmware from october? no new updates soon?

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. We are working on new updates. Did you do a factory reset initially when you upgraded to .179 as that is recommended.