Reboot Loop and Cannot Access DumaOS Dashboard

cnc137

I bought a Netduma R2 on October 13, 2020 and it seemed to be working fine after it was set up. I even made this post related to Fortnite server locations two weeks ago. I had to reset the R2 a couple of times when setting it up to get it to connect to our IPv4 Internet provider (WOW) and my cable modem, but it has been working since them without any problems.

But, over the past few days our Internet seemed to be slower than expected and laggy when trying to access websites or watch videos. I thought maybe it had something to do with the Netduma R2, so last night I decided to unplug the power cord and plug it back in to reboot the router. After doing this the router started looking like it was rebooting over and over. The power light stays on, but the "Internet" and "Port 1" lights (I had all the ports filled last night with connections and also tried different ports today.) turn on for a little bit, turn off for a little bit, and then repeat. I recorded a video of what it is doing today that you can view on Google Photos.

To fix the problem I tried resetting the router by holding the "Reset" button in for 30 seconds. This seems to fix the looping problem since the "Internet" and "Port 1" lights stay on and flash like they are sending data, but I cannot get to the DumaOS dashboard. I tried going to http://dumaos/ , https://dumaos/ , http://192.168.77.1 and https://192.168.77.1 to access the DumaOS dashboard and none of them work. Our Internet seems to be working through the router to the one computer (I didn't try the others on the network.), but it almost seems like the R2 is being treated like a network switch instead of a router. If I unplug the power cord and plug it back in the router goes back to the reboot loop problem mentioned above.

I disabled Wi-Fi on the router, since I am not using it. That is why there are no antennas attached to the router in the video above. After resetting the router the "2.4 GHz" and "5"GHz" lights do not turn on. That makes me feel like the router is not resetting when I hold the reset button in. I also tried plugging the router in to turn it on while holding the reset button in for 30 seconds and that didn't help.

I have the latest firmware (3.0.123) based on the screenshots in the post I mentioned above. I thought about trying to flash the router with the latest firmware again, but I cannot get to the dashboard to do that.

I tried to solve the problem with our desktop computer and my laptop. I also used "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" to try to flush the IP number on both computers. I rebooted the computers multiple times and I am now at a loss.

Luckily, I was able to plug in our old Linksys WRT32X router to get everything working again while I figure out what is wrong with our Netduma R2.

Do you have any advice on how to solve this rebooting loop and dashboard access problem?

Really? This seems kind of crazy to me, but I will try it.

I had the R2 unplug and disconnected since last night until this afternoon when I decided to try to fix it again before making the above post. It was probably only disconnected from power for 12 hours instead of 24. I will wait until tomorrow and let you know the results.

Shouldn't there be a quicker way to do this? What if this was my only router? You would think the reset button would discharge the system or there should be a way to clear the CMOS to reset the BIOS like on a motherboard instead of having to wait 24 hours.

• Administrators

It is a bit crazy and you're correct, the residual power does drain after about ten minutes. However, in my experience that doesn't always resolve the issue at hand. There has been several instances over the years where unplugging for 24 hours has helped. As the router has to be connected to your existing modem/router it is likely for most people that they will still be able to use the internet during this time.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, Reinaldo said:

I have the same issue with my router i only have it for 2 weeks . Can’t load the ping heat app and i just decided to reboot the router now i have the same problem above

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. I've sent you a PM, please see if that helps.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Fuzy said:

Hello @Netduma Fraser !

Have you found a solution for this problem?

I haven't heard any feedback after my suggestion so don't know if that has resolved it. The new firmware should be much more stable and so something like this which is probably partly due to memory should be resolved.

6 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I haven't heard any feedback after my suggestion so don't know if that has resolved it. The new firmware should be much more stable and so something like this which is probably partly due to memory should be resolved.

Ok !

I will get back to you, if I still encounter this problem on the last FW!

I am waiting impatiently for the feedback of other people encountering this problem because for me the V.179 does not change anything ... I managed to access the administration page after the update, but a restart of the R2 continues to cause the problem.

But I notice an improvement, I no longer take 5 to 10 minutes before regaining access!

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, Fuzy said:

I am waiting impatiently for the feedback of other people encountering this problem because for me the V.179 does not change anything ... I managed to access the administration page after the update, but a restart of the R2 continues to cause the problem.

But I notice an improvement, I no longer take 5 to 10 minutes before regaining access!

How often is this occurring for you? Did you reset after the upgrade? - I assume you did.

12 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

How often is this occurring for you? Did you reset after the upgrade? - I assume you did.

I did a factory reset after the update! restarting the R2 causes the failure! It takes 5 to 30 minutes to retrieve an IP address and be reachable again!
During this lapse of time, it restarts intermittently! Like the video in the first post ...

• Administrators
44 minutes ago, Fuzy said:

I did a factory reset after the update! restarting the R2 causes the failure! It takes 5 to 30 minutes to retrieve an IP address and be reachable again!
During this lapse of time, it restarts intermittently! Like the video in the first post ...

Try the unplugging for 24 hours as above and see if that helps.

I did download the new firmware I update the router i disconnected the power and now still have the same issue only turn 2 lights so i have to go to work 

On 10/30/2020 at 9:50 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear you're having this issue. I've sent you a PM, please see if that helps. 

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Try the unplugging for 24 hours as above and see if that helps.

OK !

For information the R2 had not been connected for a week!

Just now, Reinaldo said:

I did download the new firmware I update the router i disconnected the power and now still have the same issue only turn 2 lights so i have to go to work 

lLeave it plugged in and wait between 5 to 30 minutes, it will eventually settle and you can update!

So after 10 minutes is starts flashing all the lights looks like everything is fine. wifi still good all the app working good. the only things is  i disconnect the power cord take too long same process i have to wait 10 or more  to get it work right

7 hours ago, Reinaldo said:

So after 10 minutes is starts flashing all the lights looks like everything is fine. wifi still good all the app working good. the only things is  i disconnect the power cord take too long same process i have to wait 10 or more  to get it work right

16 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Sounds like a potential hardware issue, please email [email protected] with a link to this topic.

@Reinaldo You must follow the procedure given by Netduma Fraser

Hello Everyone! I have been busy and haven't had time to try hooking the R2 back up again. We are still using the Linksys WRT32X for now. I am hoping I can have time to switch it out this week. My R2 has been unplugged from power and all the network cables have been disconnected since the post above. I will let you know my results once I have time to try the R2 again.

I have bad news. 😞 I had time to plug the Netduma R2 back in today and the same thing is happening. I've had the router disconnected from all cables since October 28th (1.5 weeks) and as soon as I plugged it in the rebooting loop started again (new video from today). I tried resetting the router by holding in the button for 30 seconds a few times and that didn't solve the problem.

Holding in the button will get me on the Internet, but it looks like the R2 is just being treated as a network switch since my IP number on my PC ends up being the IP number of my Internet provider (WOW) instead of being one given to me via DHCP from the R2. See attached screenshot for more details. I still cannot get to the DumaOS dashboard.

I also included a photo of the back of the R2 to show how things are connected. I double and triple checked that the network cable coming out of the blue port is going to the cable modem and the one in the yellow port is connected to the computer. I start getting paranoid that I am connecting something wrong and that is the problem. 😳 If I was connecting something wrong, then the Linksys WRT32X would not be working, but it is fine. 😀

I think I have a hardware problem and need to know what my next steps should be to resolve this problem. Thank you for your assistance.

Netduma R2 - 001.jpg

• 1 month later...

I wanted to let you know that I received the replacement Netduma R2 a few weeks ago and it has been working as expected since I installed it. There must've been something wrong with the original unit right out of the box since this new one found my Internet connect at first boot and worked as expect throughout the set up process.