Jump to content
Netduma Admin

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Netduma R2 is here

Recommended Posts

I hear about Wifi 6 do you want some, here it is!
But apart from having compatible peripherals ... PC, mobile phone or other. In a common network, which does not exceed more than 100 Mbits, what can the purchase of a wifi router stamped wifi "6" do more than a good AC router ...
With a Giga connection can be ... but otherwise it is really useless!
It's still marketing.
In France we have 2 ISPs who offer this technology through their offer. No interest for me ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Newfie said:

It’s the 6ghz channel, we are way off yet as only AX devices that have the ability to connect to 6Ghz can make use of the channel. The rest is standard AX stuff and not forgetting some features are optional. I would expect mesh systems to use it as backhaul and if broadcast the price will be high so it’s a long time away from being any use. 
AX marks the end of the old AC routers and how devices are handled. Multiple devices with no delay are handled with a blink of an eye. As we move forward and more devices support AX as well as the infrastructure of the net and improvements with the chipsets used the old school of routers will fade away. 
once you have tried a good AX router you simply can’t go back, it’s inevitable and it’s the way forward.
 

Yea I'm not getting ax, I would wait for 6e as manufacturers are already dropping ax as its not been adopted as standard and moving to 6e instead. Early adopters of ax are unfortunately going to get the stuffed a bit with it. Its all way more WiFi than I need anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question is can it handle a Gigabit WAN connection? My R1 tops out at 300-400MBit with All QoS features turned off for max bandwith. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Corbula said:

Yea I'm not getting ax, I would wait for 6e as manufacturers are already dropping ax as its not been adopted as standard and moving to 6e instead. Early adopters of ax are unfortunately going to get the stuffed a bit with it. Its all way more WiFi than I need anyway. 

No one is dropping AX. All that is happing is a new 6Ghz channel will be opened up and only AX devices will use that and only if they have the capacity to do so. No AC device will be able to use the 6Ghz channel so you will be spending a lot if you want to change devices.
The old argument of waiting has flaws as there is no way to truly future proof as chipsets develop and tech moves forward. OFCOM are already talking of WiFi 7 so do you wait for that. 
AX is not just about speed and using multiple devices at the same time with no delay, it’s better security, battery battery management for devices, can handle congestion interference better which is something that plagues old routers. Throughput is increased, and 5Ghz now has far better coverage and a capacity to handle more devices.
we’ve just seen the R9000 the daddy to the XR700 go end of life. Manufactures are pushing AX, even isps now supply AX to customers. 
then look at the speed of the processors and the instructions that can be handled. Good times ahead. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CrophiXx said:

Question is can it handle a Gigabit WAN connection? My R1 tops out at 300-400MBit with All QoS features turned off for max bandwith. 

No it will provide a higher throughput but the hardware will limit it still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Killhippie
11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We have nothing to do with the entire settings portion of the XR routers, that is down to Netgear. For example the DHCP issue is a bug that they are fixing, they would not need anything for us in order to implement this in a new firmware - they could use the existing build together with their changes/fixes.

I haven't got any specific stats for you but the cause of slower speeds on the R1 with PPPoE was due to hardware limitations, so as the R2 is more powerful this will be improved upon.

Thank you so much for the support and for the kind words. We're sure you'll love the R2!

Which is what I said, Fraser., its just that some people think Netgear can add DumaOS features, when thats your job. I think people get confused with the two lots of firmware of those routers and believe Netgear hold you back when there are no DumaOS updates :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Killhippie said:

What about 4k/8K streaming over 5Ghz? Not everything is about gaming and if its the homes only router the R1 comes up short on the Wi-Fi side as it does not have 5Ghz. Also it has a weak CPU for compute power. Your set up only has a few devices most homes have many more with large families.

 

Yeah you are right but he said he doesn't use wifi, it was specific to his use case :)

 

Same for me, my connection is split into 2 VLAN's from my ISP, one for home use and one for gaming. I use wifi only on the first one, the gaming one has it turned off so the R1 is sufficient there. 

 

The only issue is CPU power if you want to run QoS, you're kind of limited to 300mbit on a R1.

 

For a home router for a family the R1 is long outdated. Even before the XR series came out it wasn't sufficient, I was using it with a 5Ghz AP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Newfie said:

No it will provide a higher throughput but the hardware will limit it still.

 

Do you know this from actual testing?

 

That would be a serious letdown if it can't handle a gigabit connection since that is rapidly becoming the standard in most places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Killhippie
14 minutes ago, Bert said:

 

Do you know this from actual testing?

 

That would be a serious letdown if it can't handle a gigabit connection since that is rapidly becoming the standard in most places.

Other routers with the same spec CPU (Dual Core two threads) when using cake of fq_codel only hit about 330mbps. The CPU just does have the compute power with an automated QoS and when they add that with all the 'rapps' it probably will slow it down, other OpenWRT routers with that spec have issues over that kind of speed too. This router is the same chipset as the R2 with 128mb more ram using fq_codel. https://www.stoplagging.com/stoplagging-routers/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Killhippie
17 minutes ago, Bert said:

 

Yeah you are right but he said he doesn't use wifi, it was specific to his use case :)

 

Same for me, my connection is split into 2 VLAN's from my ISP, one for home use and one for gaming. I use wifi only on the first one, the gaming one has it turned off so the R1 is sufficient there. 

 

The only issue is CPU power if you want to run QoS, you're kind of limited to 300mbit on a R1.

 

For a home router for a family the R1 is long outdated. Even before the XR series came out it wasn't sufficient, I was using it with a 5Ghz AP.

I think I thought he was suggesting the R1 would be a good home router, Bert. My apologies if I misread the post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Killhippie
8 hours ago, Fuzy said:

I hear about Wifi 6 do you want some, here it is!
But apart from having compatible peripherals ... PC, mobile phone or other. In a common network, which does not exceed more than 100 Mbits, what can the purchase of a wifi router stamped wifi "6" do more than a good AC router ...
With a Giga connection can be ... but otherwise it is really useless!
It's still marketing.
In France we have 2 ISPs who offer this technology through their offer. No interest for me ...

 

The 802.11ax standard takes a variety of well-understood wireless techniques and combines them in a way that achieves a significant advance over previous standards, yet maintains backward compatibility with 802.11ac and 802.11n.

802.11ax delivers a nearly 40 percent increase in pure throughput thanks to higher order QAM modulation, which allows for more data to be transmitted per packet. It also achieves more efficient spectrum utilization.  For example, 802.11ax creates broader channels and splits those channels into narrower sub-channels. This increases the total number of available channels, making it easier for endpoints to find a clear path to the access point.

The good news is that 802.11ax promises improved performance, extended coverage and longer battery life.  802.11ax can deliver a single stream at 3.5Gbps, and with new multiplexing technology borrowed from the world of LTE cellular, can deliver four simultaneous streams to a single endpoint for a total theoretical bandwidth of an astounding 14Gbps.

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3258807/what-is-80211ax-wi-fi-6-and-what-will-it-mean-for-80211ac.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bert said:

 

Do you know this from actual testing?

 

That would be a serious letdown if it can't handle a gigabit connection since that is rapidly becoming the standard in most places.

I think Killhippie has answered it for you and please forgive me but I can’t discuss this further at this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Killhippie said:

Which is what I said, Fraser., its just that some people think Netgear can add DumaOS features, when thats your job. I think people get confused with the two lots of firmware of those routers and believe Netgear hold you back when there are no DumaOS updates :)

Hence the end of XR500 in my house ,due to the DHCP..purchased ASUS GT Ac2900, not for RGB ...lol....since then no issues 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Killhippie
7 minutes ago, sharpz44 said:

Hence the end of XR500 in my house ,due to the DHCP..purchased ASUS GT Ac2900, not for RGB ...lol....since then no issues 

Sounds great, glad you got a router that works. Nice bit of kit too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Since the R2 will come with DumaOS 3.0, can we assume that the OS will be in great shape by then? Or will the R2 customers be part of the then ongoing DumaOS 3.0 Beta.

2) Does the R2 have full IPv6 support? Refering to the issues from the IPv6 support tickets from the last few month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Killhippie said:

 

The 802.11ax standard takes a variety of well-understood wireless techniques and combines them in a way that achieves a significant advance over previous standards, yet maintains backward compatibility with 802.11ac and 802.11n.

802.11ax delivers a nearly 40 percent increase in pure throughput thanks to higher order QAM modulation, which allows for more data to be transmitted per packet. It also achieves more efficient spectrum utilization.  For example, 802.11ax creates broader channels and splits those channels into narrower sub-channels. This increases the total number of available channels, making it easier for endpoints to find a clear path to the access point.

The good news is that 802.11ax promises improved performance, extended coverage and longer battery life.  802.11ax can deliver a single stream at 3.5Gbps, and with new multiplexing technology borrowed from the world of LTE cellular, can deliver four simultaneous streams to a single endpoint for a total theoretical bandwidth of an astounding 14Gbps.

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3258807/what-is-80211ax-wi-fi-6-and-what-will-it-mean-for-80211ac.html

it will never replace a good RJ45 cable! Flow and safety ...
Not to mention the aspect of the consequences on health .... of course.😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Killhippie
42 minutes ago, Fuzy said:

it will never replace a good RJ45 cable! Flow and safety ...
Not to mention the aspect of the consequences on health .... of course.😋

It will because it can push faster speeds to more devices simultaneously that have no RJ45 ports and that's the future coming our way also its got PMF so cannot be deauthorised. or broken into easily at all. Its the same as the death of the 3.5mm jack, tech moves on. As to health, Current AX gear is 2.4 and 5Ghz so nothing new just more channels and faster speeds even over 2.4Ghz as you read I hope and later this year wifi 6 will get 6Ghz too for AX gear, also a cable and a radio wave both cable and Wi-Fi travel at the speed of light but cables have more resistance which would show up at very fast speeds I imagine not that we would notice. Better not get 5G then Fuzy. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 5:36 PM, Netduma Admin said:

From all of us at Netduma, thank you for your continued support over the years. Without you, none of this would be possible.

Finally - to the R2 beta testers. THANK YOU.

The ND Team

Don't forget yourself! And without you and the rest of the team, none of this would have been possible 🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, major masingil said:

@Netduma Fraser @Netduma Iain

Has the 3.0 beta solved the issue with Wi-Fi calling which was discovered on R1's with DumaOS v2.1.3.29?

Can you please comment on this question?

It should work fine, you just need to watch your distance but should be good to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, daz said:

how much more wifi range? got thick walls in my house 

It's suitable for a large house and as the WiFi is better it will have better penetration so should be fine.

9 hours ago, CrophiXx said:

Question is can it handle a Gigabit WAN connection? My R1 tops out at 300-400MBit with All QoS features turned off for max bandwith. 

Yes, it's much better this time around!

8 hours ago, dro82323 said:

liberem essa beta do xr500 estou aguardando a dias 😥

Estamos enviando mais convites o tempo todo, e você receberá um em breve.

2 hours ago, Od1n said:

1) Since the R2 will come with DumaOS 3.0, can we assume that the OS will be in great shape by then? Or will the R2 customers be part of the then ongoing DumaOS 3.0 Beta.

2) Does the R2 have full IPv6 support? Refering to the issues from the IPv6 support tickets from the last few month.

  1. It should be in pretty good shape yes, of course though we will be watching very closely after release as it is a completely different scenario having lots of people using it so I'm expecting bugs to appear like with any product but we'll be in good shape to release updates quicker than before.
  2. Yes it does support IPv6 and we're working hard to ensure other features work well with it.
24 minutes ago, major masingil said:

@Netduma Fraser @Netduma Iain

Has the 3.0 beta solved the issue with Wi-Fi calling which was discovered on R1's with DumaOS v2.1.3.29?

Can you please comment on this question?

From our tests this has been resolved.

-
If people want to discuss AX/WiFi 6 etc please so do in another topic as it's going off topic here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It's suitable for a large house and as the WiFi is better it will have better penetration so should be fine.

Yes, it's much better this time around!

Estamos enviando mais convites o tempo todo, e você receberá um em breve.

  1. It should be in pretty good shape yes, of course though we will be watching very closely after release as it is a completely different scenario having lots of people using it so I'm expecting bugs to appear like with any product but we'll be in good shape to release updates quicker than before.
  2. Yes it does support IPv6 and we're working hard to ensure other features work well with it.

From our tests this has been resolved.

-
If people want to discuss AX/WiFi 6 etc please so do in another topic as it's going off topic here.

Can you supply a feet measurement or metric for the coverage to help those looking at the WiFi spec. Large house could mean anything so a measurement would be better, very much like NG supply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Killhippie
16 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Can you supply a feet measurement or metric for the coverage to help those looking at the WiFi spec. Large house could mean anything so a measurement would be better, very much like NG supply.

Large homes are about 2000 square feet I would imagine like the XR500 coverage. Be great to have the spec though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the response, thats awesome to hear.

My last question would be about the on-router VPN. Is the new R2 CPU strong enough to provide VPN speeds of above 100mbits? The CPU of the R1 only allows VPN speeds of up to 3-5mbits since the R1 CPU cannot keep up with the calculations.

In short, what speeds can we expect when using the R2 onboard VPN option?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...