Jump to content
Netduma Admin

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Netduma R2 is here

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Od1n said:

Does the new router have an inbuilt modem? Or will you need an additional modem or second router in bridge/dhcp mode?

R2 is router only. You can run it downstream of another router/modem router but I recommend you connect it directly to a bridge modem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the XR500 (and R1 too) and am wondering how does the R2 compares to XR500 in terms of performance?  The R2 has less RAM...

In my current setup I don't use the wifi at all (always turned off).  I have just 2 devices connected on LAN (a Mac and a PS4/PS5 for playing Call of Duty online).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jameswoo said:

I have the XR500 (and R1 too) and am wondering how does the R2 compares to XR500 in terms of performance?  The R2 has less RAM...

In my current setup I don't use the wifi at all (always turned off).  I have just 2 devices connected on LAN (a Mac and a PS4/PS5 for playing Call of Duty online).

Well, how does the comparison to xr500 look like, I'm going to buy but, I have to ask, and dispel my doubts,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, raf1212 said:

Well, how does the comparison to xr500 look like, I'm going to buy but, I have to ask, and dispel my doubts,

The XR500 has more powerful hardware but the R2 will get the latest updates first as it’s directly from Netduma.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don’t know what I should do... keep the XR500 or sell it and buy the R2...?? To have 2 routers make no sense to me... I will use only one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Kostas83 said:

I really don’t know what I should do... keep the XR500 or sell it and buy the R2...?? To have 2 routers make no sense to me... I will use only one...

You have to weigh up what you need from your router, the XR500 has more powerful hardware but the R2 will get all the latest updates first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pollutionblues said:

You have to weigh up what you need from your router, the XR500 has more powerful hardware but the R2 will get all the latest updates first.

Yeah but I am not really sure that moment which is the best... to get directly the new updates and very quick or keep the more powerful router? Because at the end if there is a bug you want to solve it ASAP and the Netgear is not very famous for quick updates... Also I am start thinking that maybe is the start for NetDuma to stop the cooperation with Netgear...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flipmode said:

@Netduma Alex.... it's R-App Store not Rapp store..... just sayin.... :ph34r:

respect the vote 😎 hehehehehehehehehehe

DpQ9YJl.png

We renamed them to Rapps a little while ago (instead of R-Apps) because they're meant to be pronounced "rapps" and people were pronouncing them "arr apps"

I mean admittedly it does make it sound a little like a hip-hop store but oh well, we could always expand into the rap game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Killhippie
15 hours ago, sharpz44 said:

Your missing the point ,yes lack of updates is down to Netgear as it’s firmware runs in the background ,clearly the RAX is more supported as it’s newer ,they did the same with R7800 ,though Voxels firmware soon sorted that out and still does 

Hi. How can Netgear make updates for DumaOS when that is owned and maintained by Netduma? The huge gap of a year and a half with one security update was down to Netduma not supplying updates for DumaOS which is their software. Netgear cant fix what is not theirs, they just maintain the routers firmware for things like drivers for Ethernet and Wi-Fi and the Linux security, Netduma provide DumaOS and send updates for that to Netgear which they didnt do as they were writing DumaOS 3.0, I hope that makes things clearer, it is confusing when there is two lots of firmware on one device. The R7800 is five years old now and just gets security updates and Voxels firmware is fantastic and goes much further with updating OpenGPL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Killhippie
28 minutes ago, Netduma Alex said:

DpQ9YJl.png

We renamed them to Rapps a little while ago (instead of R-Apps) because they're meant to be pronounced "rapps" and people were pronouncing them "arr apps"

I mean admittedly it does make it sound a little like a hip-hop store but oh well, we could always expand into the rap game.

R-apps makes sense rapps sounds awful, that's just my opinion of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

What speeds can we expect over PPPOE and does that mean we can ditch the company router and use R2 as a single router than having 2 router setup?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jameswoo said:

I have the XR500 (and R1 too) and am wondering how does the R2 compares to XR500 in terms of performance?  The R2 has less RAM...

In my current setup I don't use the wifi at all (always turned off).  I have just 2 devices connected on LAN (a Mac and a PS4/PS5 for playing Call of Duty online).

 

You don't even need the XR500 in your case tbh.

 

I have exactly the same setup, 1 PC and 1 PS4 and wifi turned off. R1 runs this fine altough if you want QoS the bandwidth will become a issue and PPPoE support is an issue.

 

I'm running the R1 now instead of the XR500 and really it performs practically no different in game. The only thing is I need to use my ISP router as well, while I generally run PPPoE on the XR500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Killhippie
8 minutes ago, Bert said:

 

You don't even need the XR500 in your case tbh.

 

I have exactly the same setup, 1 PC and 1 PS4 and wifi turned off. R1 runs this fine altough if you want QoS the bandwidth will become a issue and PPPoE support is an issue.

 

I'm running the R1 now instead of the XR500 and really it performs practically no different in game. The only thing is I need to use my ISP router as well, while I generally run PPPoE on the XR500.

What about 4k/8K streaming over 5Ghz? Not everything is about gaming and if its the homes only router the R1 comes up short on the Wi-Fi side as it does not have 5Ghz. Also it has a weak CPU for compute power. Your set up only has a few devices most homes have many more with large families.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

R-apps makes sense rapps sounds awful, that's just my opinion of course.

@Netduma Alex  Actually, the grown ups have spoken. R-Apps; sounds like arr apps but is written R-Apps. Phonics 101.... Arr2... 😜

R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps R-Apps

😋

On a serious note. This is my first "gaming" router so I cannot compare it with anything else. What I can say is that IMHO it's a neat little box of tricks and reasonably priced. The tech is a little old but what Netduma have manged to do especially with the latest beta is pretty solid considering testers are still on debug software. I'm looking forward to the release firmware and also regular updates thereafter and I am excited, not only for Netduma but also DumaOS fans.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Netduma Army !

I just pre-ordered the R2 😛

I've been with you from the very beginning even though I didn't join the forum straight away as I was reading every post, there are some of us who study or use the SEARCH function instead of jamming the forum up with self entitled snowflakes demanding stuff done on the spot 😒

I used to dedicate time to this forum helping others no matter what time of day, usually the night shift when I was nocturnal 😂

The Staff & members back then really were a good bunch of folks, sadly we lost A7legit R.I.P. 😭 along the way & I started a new job which took most my time up. I kind've drifted away from that point & took a back seat, sad times tbh.

I'm glad the company progressed & you're still around today, well done & here's to many more yrs in the future 👏😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One question... can I connect through PPPoE with the R2?? Now my setup is xr500 connected on ISP router and on xr500 I set it to connect through PPPoE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Hi. How can Netgear make updates for DumaOS when that is owned and maintained by Netduma? The huge gap of a year and a half with one security update was down to Netduma not supplying updates for DumaOS which is their software. Netgear cant fix what is not theirs, they just maintain the routers firmware for things like drivers for Ethernet and Wi-Fi and the Linux security, Netduma provide DumaOS and send updates for that to Netgear which they didnt do as they were writing DumaOS 3.0, I hope that makes things clearer, it is confusing when there is two lots of firmware on one device. The R7800 is five years old now and just gets security updates and Voxels firmware is fantastic and goes much further with updating OpenGPL. 

We have nothing to do with the entire settings portion of the XR routers, that is down to Netgear. For example the DHCP issue is a bug that they are fixing, they would not need anything for us in order to implement this in a new firmware - they could use the existing build together with their changes/fixes.

6 hours ago, Kaks07 said:

Hi,

What speeds can we expect over PPPOE and does that mean we can ditch the company router and use R2 as a single router than having 2 router setup?

Thanks

I haven't got any specific stats for you but the cause of slower speeds on the R1 with PPPoE was due to hardware limitations, so as the R2 is more powerful this will be improved upon.

1 hour ago, Yam Yam said:

Hello Netduma Army !

I just pre-ordered the R2 😛

I've been with you from the very beginning even though I didn't join the forum straight away as I was reading every post, there are some of us who study or use the SEARCH function instead of jamming the forum up with self entitled snowflakes demanding stuff done on the spot 😒

I used to dedicate time to this forum helping others no matter what time of day, usually the night shift when I was nocturnal 😂

The Staff & members back then really were a good bunch of folks, sadly we lost A7legit R.I.P. 😭 along the way & I started a new job which took most my time up. I kind've drifted away from that point & took a back seat, sad times tbh.

I'm glad the company progressed & you're still around today, well done & here's to many more yrs in the future 👏😎

Thank you so much for the support and for the kind words. We're sure you'll love the R2!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yam Yam said:

Hello Netduma Army !

I just pre-ordered the R2 😛

I've been with you from the very beginning even though I didn't join the forum straight away as I was reading every post, there are some of us who study or use the SEARCH function instead of jamming the forum up with self entitled snowflakes demanding stuff done on the spot 😒

I used to dedicate time to this forum helping others no matter what time of day, usually the night shift when I was nocturnal 😂

The Staff & members back then really were a good bunch of folks, sadly we lost A7legit R.I.P. 😭 along the way & I started a new job which took most my time up. I kind've drifted away from that point & took a back seat, sad times tbh.

I'm glad the company progressed & you're still around today, well done & here's to many more yrs in the future 👏😎

Good to see you Yam Yam, nice to see you getting an R2, hope things are well with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Newfie said:

 AX is WiFi 6 and is a complete different ball game with the top spec routers. Some of us use them and they work very well. I’m using the RAX120 and it has an impressive coverage range and internal connection rates are fast. 

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/game-on-for-wi-fi-6e.63575/

This is what I was referring too. I couldn't remember the details of it but it's WiFi 6E which will be the new standard going forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Corbula said:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/game-on-for-wi-fi-6e.63575/

This is what I was referring too. I couldn't remember the details of it but it's WiFi 6E which will be the new standard going forward. 

It’s the 6ghz channel, we are way off yet as only AX devices that have the ability to connect to 6Ghz can make use of the channel. The rest is standard AX stuff and not forgetting some features are optional. I would expect mesh systems to use it as backhaul and if broadcast the price will be high so it’s a long time away from being any use. 
AX marks the end of the old AC routers and how devices are handled. Multiple devices with no delay are handled with a blink of an eye. As we move forward and more devices support AX as well as the infrastructure of the net and improvements with the chipsets used the old school of routers will fade away. 
once you have tried a good AX router you simply can’t go back, it’s inevitable and it’s the way forward.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...