Jump to content
peewii

There needs to be some sort of VPN "auto-reload" feature

Recommended Posts

I've been using VPN services for years now, and I've tested pretty much every major company out there, and they have one thing in common; no matter how good they are, I can never seem to stay connected to a server for more than a few days at a time. I inevitably need to disconnect / reconnect it. This isn't too bad when I have a client-side app (e.g. on my phone), but when it's on my router I need to go to my PC, log in and do it there which is a real pain in the ass. I honestly think a router-side VPN is only of limited value if it can't be setup to do some sort of auto-refresh on its own. 

Is this a feature that's ever been discussed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is something that has been suggested before, I'll suggest it again just to make sure we're aware it's something people do want. It probably wouldn't be implemented until after 3.0 has officially launched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2020 at 4:11 PM, peewii said:

I've been using VPN services for years now, and I've tested pretty much every major company out there, and they have one thing in common; no matter how good they are, I can never seem to stay connected to a server for more than a few days at a time. I inevitably need to disconnect / reconnect it. This isn't too bad when I have a client-side app (e.g. on my phone), but when it's on my router I need to go to my PC, log in and do it there which is a real pain in the ass. I honestly think a router-side VPN is only of limited value if it can't be setup to do some sort of auto-refresh on its own. 

Is this a feature that's ever been discussed?

@peewii

Is this relating to the hybrid VPN? I haven't used it much as my NAS VPN had better throughput over the VPN vs VPN direct on the router.

What I tend to do if my girlfriend says there is problems at home with the internet when I am not around is VPN into my router (on my phone) and then I can http into it and browse it like I am there.

Obviously if the internet is down then the VPN won't work which means I know what the problem is 😁

 

If you send all your traffic from the router over the VPN then your dynamic dns will have the IP of your VPN tunnel rather than your actual home IP which would mean you are depending on the VPN failing completely and all traffic routes straight out the internet connection direct and your dns updates with your actual home internet IP to allow for you to VPN into the router

 

Thanks,

 

PS - I hope the above made sense!

PSS - This is more of a possible workaround more than anything else lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Further to my previous reply

Looking at how hybrid VPN works, you have to specify which devices you want to use the VPN and I don't see an option for anything from the router routing over the VPN, on that assumption you should be able to enable/use the VPN server feature of the router to administer your router by VPN'ing into it via a dynamic DNS entry (if you have a dynamic ip assigned from your ISP).

I download the config file that the router produces and import it into an app called 'OpenVPN' on my phone.

Just make sure you tick the button that says 'Home Network only' otherwise all your traffic from your device would route to your house and then out of your home internet.

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 3:42 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

This is something that has been suggested before, I'll suggest it again just to make sure we're aware it's something people do want. It probably wouldn't be implemented until after 3.0 has officially launched.

Thank you. I have a few friends that have given up on hybrid VPN altogether as they can't be bothered logging into the admin panel and refreshing it every few days. They just stick to their regular client-side VPN app. I feel close to doing the same myself as it's getting annoying being nagged by everyone in the house every time the internet seems to go down. It would be a shame to see such a great feature go unused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, peewii said:

Thank you. I have a few friends that have given up on hybrid VPN altogether as they can't be bothered logging into the admin panel and refreshing it every few days. They just stick to their regular client-side VPN app. I feel close to doing the same myself as it's getting annoying being nagged by everyone in the house every time the internet seems to go down. It would be a shame to see such a great feature go unused.

I do agree it is a really good feature and more powerful than any client I've used before. We do listen to feedback and I have passed it on to the team. The great thing about 3.0 is that we'll be able to implement changes like this and push them out to people without firmware updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 10:23 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

I do agree it is a really good feature and more powerful than any client I've used before. We do listen to feedback and I have passed it on to the team. The great thing about 3.0 is that we'll be able to implement changes like this and push them out to people without firmware updates.

Thanks! I think ideally you would be able to set a time for the refresh, when everyone is asleep, e.g. 2am every morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...