Jump to content
kinel

how to get better hit detection

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, chatmandu said:

Won't that mean that you can't prioritise updates from the game server? My wireshark capture shows that inbound updates have destination port 3074 and source port 'any'. 

The inbound traffic will be fighting for internal network priority with other traffic - e.g. Netflix, which is downloaded in 'chunks' rather than 'streamed'. 

 

Interesting I think that asus or other company that makes so-called "gaming" router are really efficient unfortunately the qos of duma os is very wobbly nobody manages to have 1 or 2 ms of bufferbloat with a router of the xr range so I imagine that the priority traffic is also wobbly ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be able to get that minimal level of bufferbloat if you really dial in your settings. Don't use Benchmark for that as we're still improving it. If you saturate your connection with downloads etc and experiment with percentages to see what lowers it the most you should be able to get it http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CoDeL manages latency across the ques. It works really well but also it’s very CPU intensive. There is no routers that I know of for home use that can do this at gigabit speed. This is because it requires the configuration of many traffic classes, and different priority weights.


Downside of codel is that it increases absolute latency a little bit over other forms like PFIFO.

 

It also depends on how you measure. Like DSL reports measures latency by sending http GET requests. Not ICMP ping. This sort of traffic is exactly what CoDeL is meant to optimize. Whereas the XR routers use PFIFO and say you have gaming traffic optimized, it won,t do anything to these GET requests. But QoS does work when you’re actually gaming.

 

I have never tried it but possibly if you configure your XR router for that type of traffic you will see a improvement in bufferbloat ratings. It doesn’t necessarily produce real world results though.

 

That said, CoDeL is the better option for all round general use if you have the CPU power to run it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Locosano said:

Interesting I think that asus or other company that makes so-called "gaming" router are really efficient unfortunately the qos of duma os is very wobbly nobody manages to have 1 or 2 ms of bufferbloat with a router of the xr range so I imagine that the priority traffic is also wobbly ...

Bufferbloat is pretty good with Asus Merlin and CakeQoS.

Unfortunately, CakeQoS isn't currently compatible with traffic shaping QoS (e.g. FlexQoS) and I still experience some lag. I purchased a DumaOS router hoping for a better experience, but it failed to deliver. 

This test was conducted with my son streaming video via a Roku device. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bert said:

CoDeL manages latency across the ques. It works really well but also it’s very CPU intensive. There is no routers that I know of for home use that can do this at gigabit speed. This is because it requires the configuration of many traffic classes, and different priority weights.

Apparently the Raspberry Pi 4 can handle gigabit speeds in both directions when running OpenWRT. 

Some people have suggested that the lag spikes I'm experiencing may be due to the outdated Broadcom drivers that are used by the Asus router. 

I'm planning to buy one and will test it with my Asus router operating as an Access Point. If that works as well as people claim, I will sell my Asus router and buy a cheap access point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look at Amazon and other places you can often buy small cheap barebones PCs with dual network cards. Install something like Untangle or OpenWrt x86-64 and it will basicly blow every residential or gaming router out of the water. Then you can definitly do SQM at gigabit speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, chatmandu said:

Wrong. 

Port forwarding opens up the destination port on your firewall. It will allow connections from any source port to that destination port. I can't believe you're still struggling with something so basic, but running your mouth as if you're educated. 

QoS is completely separate configuration from port forwarding - but you're prioritising the inbound traffic, that's been permitted by the port forwarding, and the outbound traffic originating on your gaming device. 

"get off the forum then instead of giving bad advice..."

Quite. 

NetdumaOS only has one rule that is supposed to match both inbound and outbound traffic. I'll say it again:

Protocol = UDP/TCP

Destination port = 3074

Source port = any 

Class = gaming/voice

That should be all you need, unless NetdumaOS is badly programmed and they've got their source and destination ports programmed in reverse. 

 

 

 

The gaming/voice is only for wifi.

Normal (default) is what should be used

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bert said:

Different router brands have different notations for this. Some other let you specify both inbound and outbound separately and some always assume source to be the sender. DumaOS combines both directions but in reality inbounds means forwarding incoming WAN traffic to LAN and vice versa. On more professional systems you would add a rule to the WAN interface SRC 3074 DST 30000-45000 and Ethernet interface SRC 30000-45000 DST 3074. The rule is always applied to sending traffic since the interface can not control the receiving side. Ie you can not control what you will receive over the internet.
 

also it’s really simple to check if you’re rule is actually working. Look at the packet counter, for games WW2 and later it should add 60 packets under ‘prioritized’ for every second you play the game, both inbound and outbound. Unless it’s private games they have different tickrates in a lot of cases.

 

TCP is only used for communication to the back end servers, uploading stats etc so doesn’t affect your gameplay.

Def doesn’t affect gameplay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Locosano said:

Wrong information on a router under duma os if you put example 1-65535 in source and 3074 in destination it will not work !!

You need to do Src 3074 and dst any

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

You should be able to get that minimal level of bufferbloat if you really dial in your settings. Don't use Benchmark for that as we're still improving it. If you saturate your connection with downloads etc and experiment with percentages to see what lowers it the most you should be able to get it http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Unfortunately fraser I had the r1 which for me had a qos which was capable of great things with the bufferbloat but duma os impossible to have a result on the bufferbloat and I tested 2 different ISPs in France "orange and sfr" both in fiber ftth 1gb down and 500 up. Unfortunately the only ones which we succeeded in giving me a bufferbloat of 1 to 2 ms were the r1 or openwrt by limiting the bitrates compared to the material ... and I find that sorry .. of have regressed compared to your first router. All my tests were done with pingplotter and dslreport at the time and the same observation .. that I lower the cursors to 90% or 20% my ping fluctuates and a feeling of delay in the games is always present the best option for me and deactivated the qos: / ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, CRarsenxL said:

The gaming/voice is only for wifi.

Normal (default) is what should be used

Why is it only for WiFi? Is that a limitation of the DumaOS?

Surely all traffic is classed as 'normal' by default and you're trying to increase the priority by classng it as gaming/voice ('expedited forwarding' would be the dscp equivalent)? If the end result is having the traffic classed as 'normal', what's the point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, chatmandu said:

Why is it only for WiFi? Is that a limitation of the DumaOS?

Surely all traffic is classed as 'normal' by default and you're trying to increase the priority by classng it as gaming/voice ('expedited forwarding' would be the dscp equivalent)? If the end result is having the traffic classed as 'normal', what's the point?

Fraser confirmed normal default was Ethernet and wireless type gaming voice / video was for wifi 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Locosano said:

Unfortunately fraser I had the r1 which for me had a qos which was capable of great things with the bufferbloat but duma os impossible to have a result on the bufferbloat and I tested 2 different ISPs in France "orange and sfr" both in fiber ftth 1gb down and 500 up. Unfortunately the only ones which we succeeded in giving me a bufferbloat of 1 to 2 ms were the r1 or openwrt by limiting the bitrates compared to the material ... and I find that sorry .. of have regressed compared to your first router. All my tests were done with pingplotter and dslreport at the time and the same observation .. that I lower the cursors to 90% or 20% my ping fluctuates and a feeling of delay in the games is always present the best option for me and deactivated the qos: / ..

I'm sure we can get down to why that is, those results should certainly still be achieved with the XR routers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole point of QoS on inbound traffic is WiFi. Your bandwidth coming from WAN is almost always smaller than bandwidth available to LAN since you have 1Gbit ports. In worst case scenario it’s equal with gigabit internet. So in reality there is never any sort of restriction there unless you have some funny setup with WiFi bridges or a 100mbit switch. And even if you connect to a 100mbit switch traffic is passed to the routers internal switch at a much higher rate. And that has it’s own packet buffer. Plus typically we have limited our WAN bandwidth anyway by the ABB sliders so QoS will literally do nothing there.

 

Wifi is a different ballgame as bandwidth to your device is smaller than WAN. And also we have to deal with variable bandwidth. Ie the Xbox that is in the other end of the house might be only getting 30mbit. So in case where we have 1GBit internet and dodgy WiFi you can create bufferbloat yourself. And that’s not even counting multiple devices etc.

 

You can probably set the identifier Gaming / Voice on LAN but it won’t do much good since you’re not restricted and your devices don’t understand these identifiers anyway. Your switches need to be able to process DSCP tags as well for it to have any effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pardon me and my noobiness.. Ive manually used port forward. Do i need to keep using Port Forward for this? (using traffic prio)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SolidOny said:

Pardon me and my noobiness.. Ive manually used port forward. Do i need to keep using Port Forward for this? (using traffic prio)

qos is only to prioritize a specific port but you have other people on here that think you should prioritize every port

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello @kinel,

could you help me, as I'm really a newbie in this and don't understand that much what you guys are saying.
What rule(s) should I put in Source Port and Destination Port for Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (PlayStation 5)?

Would this be right? As you stated in the thread (first post)

Quote

HERE IS THE NEW UPDATED  PORTS YOU NEED FOR COLDWAR THIS WAS TESTED ON PS4

 Rule1Source  3074-3076 destination  30000-45000 udp  rule 1

 Rule2 Source 50000 -65535   destination   3074 -3076 tcp  only

 

t.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2021 at 5:07 AM, TODDzillaInLA said:

no im not, all you need to QoS to traffic is 3074 and 3075 and if you have multiple devices playing at the same time on the same network 3076. having all those ports under qos traffic doesnt do anything but bug down your connection for other devices doing who knows what

proofnetduma2.thumb.png.69f0dbb866aac5772f3cfdbbad2e9151.png

Heres mine

Traffic.jpg

and again im not saying you have to do it my way this is just what works for me and last night when i was playing it was using 3074 not 3075

 

i tried your configs here on warzone pc ... 3074 and 3075, upnp and dmz both off ... horrible hitreg ... on port 3075 nothing happens, only on 3074 ... i think i'll sell this one and come back for openwrt...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2021 at 8:09 PM, MarkonikovBR said:

 

i tried your configs here on warzone pc ... 3074 and 3075, upnp and dmz both off ... horrible hitreg ... on port 3075 nothing happens, only on 3074 ... i think i'll sell this one and come back for openwrt...

sorry to hear that but its working amazing for me

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Forum:

I tried this config and my hit reg was awesome:

 

image.thumb.png.44ecfd1cc4a9cfc2c04419441c9da6f6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... i keep getting DM's some thanking me some saying i suck 🤣 and my method didnt work for them

Again i never said my way is the best way but it works for me, i play on console and i stream on pc. i just posted a video that clearly shows my hit detection and my methods of SBMM and its finniest. some of these guys i run right in front of them and fly right by them then turn and shot them

ping is king! i had a 9ms to 16ms ping, dumaos geo filter set to 311 miles out, ping assist set to 0

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will never cease to amaze me how people think that manipulating their connection will make things better in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2021 at 9:07 AM, TODDzillaInLA said:

no im not, all you need to QoS to traffic is 3074 and 3075 and if you have multiple devices playing at the same time on the same network 3076. having all those ports under qos traffic doesnt do anything but bug down your connection for other devices doing who knows what

proofnetduma2.thumb.png.69f0dbb866aac5772f3cfdbbad2e9151.png

Heres mine

Traffic.jpg

and again im not saying you have to do it my way this is just what works for me and last night when i was playing it was using 3074 not 3075

Hi would these settings work playing on pc through ethernet cable thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...