Jump to content
fpsabe

xr500 lags only when I download games from steam or ps4.

Recommended Posts

soo I recently bought the xr500 again after returning  one months ago cause  it was still making my games have lag spikes when someone is downloading something, but I figure I buy it again and try it out. So after doing bandwidth stress tests, for some reason downloads that come from steam or a ps4 console, that's when it causes lag spikes, but if someone on my network does a normal download like from a phone, or downloading a huge file on a computer, the router has no problems taking care of it and making my games not lag. so I was wondering if there's like some kind of ps4 network settings or steam settings that won't cause lag spikes? it feels like ps4 downloads and steam downloads automatically get prioritize no matter what setting I do on netduma software, for example, if I make my ps4 only download 20mbps, it will still cause massive lag spikes up to 100+, but I can easily have like 5 youtube videos up at same time doing 40mbps+ and only get maybe +2 in ping.  SO ANY HELP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Under QoS > Traffic Prioritization, could you try disabling DumaOS Classified Games and deleting any custom rules you have? Perhaps your gaming related downloads are being prioritized and that's causing lag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Under QoS > Traffic Prioritization, could you try disabling DumaOS Classified Games and deleting any custom rules you have? Perhaps your gaming related downloads are being prioritized and that's causing lag.

did this, nothing changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fpsabe said:

did this, nothing changed.

D'oh! Okay next idea:

What are your current Bandwidth Allocation settings? Have you given your PC/PS4 loads of bandwidth on the bandwidth flower?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 5:32 AM, Netduma Alex said:

D'oh! Okay next idea:

What are your current Bandwidth Allocation settings? Have you given your PC/PS4 loads of bandwidth on the bandwidth flower?

I got 300mbps download, and 11mbps upload, I set the download slider to 70 percent, so it's at like 230mbps. and all devices have it a equal bandwidth cause that's default. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right... I think the problem might be that the downloads are originating from the device that the lag is occurring on, so the router is having trouble mitigating it.

My next suggestion would be to prioritize the ports for the specific online game you're playing. Look up port forwarding for the game you're playing, and put those ports into the Traffic Prioritization menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Right... I think the problem might be that the downloads are originating from the device that the lag is occurring on, so the router is having trouble mitigating it.

My next suggestion would be to prioritize the ports for the specific online game you're playing. Look up port forwarding for the game you're playing, and put those ports into the Traffic Prioritization menu.

 

So I disabled dumaOS classfied   games  in the traffic prioritization,  to make sure that wasn't prioritizing any downloads. I enabled csgo ports in traffic prioritization ports, and there's still lag, about 70+ ping in lag.

this is my how I have my set up, I have my ps4 downloading a game, I go on csgo to watch my ping and vice versa.  So I don't know what the problem is, maybe this is just how it is? I don't know, but it ain't the biggest problem, still the best router i've used for normal congestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

 

So I disabled dumaOS classfied   games  in the traffic prioritization,  to make sure that wasn't prioritizing any downloads. I enabled csgo ports in traffic prioritization ports, and there's still lag.

this is my set up, I have my ps4 downloading a game, I go on csgo to watch my ping and vice versa.  So I don't know what the problem is, maybe this is just how it is? I don't know, but it ain't the biggest problem, still the best router i've used for normal congestion.

For ports did you change the source ports? If so revert those back to the default (1 - 65535) and just change the destination otherwise it might not trigger properly. This will sound like a silly question but the PS4 is definitely connected to the router and not the ISP hub or something like that?

70% for Anti-Bufferbloat is good but it might not be the best for your connection. I'd suggest you follow this guide while saturating your connection (downloads, streams etc) as much as possible and try different Anti-Bufferbloat percentages to see what keeps the ping the lowest and most stable: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

For ports did you change the source ports? If so revert those back to the default (1 - 65535) and just change the destination otherwise it might not trigger properly. This will sound like a silly question but the PS4 is definitely connected to the router and not the ISP hub or something like that?

70% for Anti-Bufferbloat is good but it might not be the best for your connection. I'd suggest you follow this guide while saturating your connection (downloads, streams etc) as much as possible and try different Anti-Bufferbloat percentages to see what keeps the ping the lowest and most stable: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

for the ports I used the basic traffic prioritization, the source engine basic traffic prioritization, and then I tried the advanced traffic prioritization and  I left the source ports default and I opened all the ports for csgo. I've tried every anti bufferbloat percentage, ps4 downloads will make my network lag no matter what, even on 10% download bufferbloat.  and the ps4 is in the router, every device is going through the router.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case it's very confusing why it's not behaving as it should. Do you use PPPoE or VLAN by any chance? Do you have upload bufferbloat set to 70% as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In that case it's very confusing why it's not behaving as it should. Do you use PPPoE or VLAN by any chance? Do you have upload bufferbloat set to 70% as well?

I do not have pppoe or vlan set up, upload buffer is at 100%  cause I don't need to lower it, as I tested with a youtube upload, no extra ping at all when blasting upload speeds. i'm happy with that so I don't have to lower my already low upload speed lol.   But yea it's weird and I don't know why ps4 and steam downloads cause lag, any other download using the same or even more bandwidth is fine, I don't understand why it doesn't work  particularly with ps4 and steam downloads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you just try upload at 70% just while the console is downloading and see if it makes any difference at all? You'd be surprised that it might actually help. If it doesn't then you can switch back and we can look elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you just try upload at 70% just while the console is downloading and see if it makes any difference at all? You'd be surprised that it might actually help. If it doesn't then you can switch back and we can look elsewhere.

still lags, it actually got worst and started doing packet loss on my ps4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you take a screenshot of your Traffic Prioritization settings please? This will be the master of all your other QoS settings, so if you've added something like a very wide TCP port range it could cause you problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Could you take a screenshot of your Traffic Prioritization settings please? This will be the master of all your other QoS settings, so if you've added something like a very wide TCP port range it could cause you problems.

everything's default.

traffic prioritzation.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...