Jump to content
d.o.c

Destiny 2 (PC/Steam) Geo-filter challenges

Recommended Posts

So since Destiny 2 moved from Battle-net to Steam, I've reconfigured a lot of my settings. The list below is my current config along with the order I preformed each change (ascending).

  • Changed my "PC" device from XBOX to Computer in the device manager menu.
  • Flushed the Cloud.
  • Reset my computer
  • Set distance to 600 miles
  • Set Strict mode = on
  • Set Auto Ping Host = on
  • Set Ping Assist = 30 (ms)
  • Set Fast Search = off

So far with the above settings I've noticed longer queue times although some what of a better connection overall; yet I still see people not blocked outside of my desired mile range.

And the Auto Ping Host only shows details while match making, and then goes null once the match making ends/match starts; previously prior to the move to Steam the Auto Ping Host would show details through the match, not just during match making.

Also I would like to note that I stay in spectating mode until I reach orbit in game (Destiny 2), then I will toggle Filtering mode on & then select whatever PvP/PvE mode to start match making.

I never toggle filtering on prior or while Destiny 2 is loading characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I just realized that the changes made to a 'devices' profile in the device manager menu will not save the changes to that device in the geo-filter menu.

Meaning my above test had never changed it from a console to computer when viewing the device in the geo-filter menu, yet in the device manger menu it shows it as a computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, d.o.c said:

So I just realized that the changes made to a 'devices' profile in the device manager menu will not save the changes to that device in the geo-filter menu.

Meaning my above test had never changed it from a console to computer when viewing the device in the geo-filter menu, yet in the device manger menu it shows it as a computer.

Oh yeah, you need to remove the device from the Geo-Filter and add it again.

Then you'll be asked which profile you want to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can defiantly say that keeping my PC as a console (xbox) seems to geo-filter better or even at all vs changing my PC as a computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the PC mode is highly reliant on the profiles, which specify port ranges and such

Whereas the console mode just works with all UDP traffic from that device

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So prior to even using the geofilter, I had added all specified & set ports to forward ( via bungie.net document ) for Destiny 2 on the PC in the Advanced Settings menu.

Would doing that effect me setting my PC as a computer device over console? or does the PC Computer Destiny-2 default profile override my advanced PF settings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Auto ping host details are now working along with what seems to be an attempt to geo-filter (steam servers). Not 100% how much better the geo-filter was on bnet vs steam though.

First two items done before adjusting any settings.

  1. Closed Destiny 2 & Steam application on said PC
  2. Flushed Cloud

Once 1 & 2 were complete I did the following changes to my PC profile via the Geo-filter menu

  • (Profile) for PC Device is set to XBOX console
  • Auto Ping Host option is ON
  • Strict mode option is ON
  • Ping Assist set to 15 ( I know that they recommend between 30-60, those were still as laggy as no geo-filter at all)
  • Fast Search option is OFF
  • Miles set to 600
  • Dropped the pin in the middle of my state (since I live on the east coast (US))

And so far after a few matches I noticed the 'Auto Ping Host' feature was still working during the match, not just for the match making. I also noticed a bit longer que times compared to other settings (mostly due to my Ping Assist, but also the fact that the geo-filter is trying to do its job).

Then I also noticed between testing the console or computer ID tag for my PC profile; while on computer everyone who populates on the map is not blocked at all nor are the servers, while as console ID tag for the PC profile is blocking people who do not fit my criteria for Ping assist outside of my 600 mile bubble.

I also do understand the time of the day / player population can effect all of this, but as of the time of this post is the typical time I've been playing Destiny 2 PVP with the settings I've had for Destiny 2 on battle net.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's likely because you're picking them up through Ping Assist which works outside the radius if they're under your limit. Auto Ping not working correctly would probably be due to the fact that there is not always one host for the game as they use P2P/Server hybrid so in this sense it may be best to manually ping the server to get a good approximation of your ping.

I would not suggest starting up the game in spectating mode as you may have already allowed servers that would be better blocked and when you enable filtering mode these connections will still be active until severed so this may impact the effectiveness of filtering mode.

21 hours ago, d.o.c said:

So prior to even using the geofilter, I had added all specified & set ports to forward ( via bungie.net document ) for Destiny 2 on the PC in the Advanced Settings menu.

Would doing that effect me setting my PC as a computer device over console? or does the PC Computer Destiny-2 default profile override my advanced PF settings?

No it won't affect it. Our profiles don't change anything to do with port forwarding.

21 hours ago, d.o.c said:

Then I also noticed between testing the console or computer ID tag for my PC profile; while on computer everyone who populates on the map is not blocked at all nor are the servers, while as console ID tag for the PC profile is blocking people who do not fit my criteria for Ping assist outside of my 600 mile bubble.

This is likely because we need to update the Destiny service for PC now that it has moved over to steam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting the geo-filter in filter mode prior to launching steam and/or destiny only works for the first match and then I get no auto-ping host details or anything on anyone who populates.. The geo-filter works 'here and there' or only on the first match.

The geo-filter feature for Destiny 2 is not as stable as it was before with providing the best optimized match. There is a night and day difference now that Destiny 2 is on Steam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm that Destiny 2 geo-filtering works perfectly on my Xbox, but doesn't work with my PC with identical settings(below) on the same network.  I can enable/disable filtering for my Xbox and go into a tower or strike completely alone if I want, but the PC D2 always enters a populated tower even though it's set up as a console.

Device Type: Xbox

Strict Mode: Off

Auto Ping: Off

Ping Assist: 0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bizanshee said:

I can confirm that Destiny 2 geo-filtering works perfectly on my Xbox, but doesn't work with my PC with identical settings(below) on the same network.  I can enable/disable filtering for my Xbox and go into a tower or strike completely alone if I want, but the PC D2 always enters a populated tower even though it's set up as a console.

Device Type: Xbox

Strict Mode: Off

Auto Ping: Off

Ping Assist: 0

Hi, welcome to the forum! That's awesome that it's working great on your Xbox, though we may need to have another look at the PC version. We'll see what we can do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much!   Just wanted to put that out there so you knew it's definitely PC in an otherwise functional setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Results so far...

Settings:

  • 500 miles
  • Strict Mode - ENABLED
  • Auto Ping Host - ENABLED
  • Ping Assist - 30

 

-- Booted up Steam/Destiny 2 while in Filtering mode

Not sure if this is a Steam issue vs. Bungie match-making system issue but it seems that the first match of any PvP mode will result in a local lobby which is what we want when using geo-filtering but after the first match it seems that either Steam forces you into another region server (making geo-filter not work properly and not display any details on the host).

Otherwise when it does work; you will have the steady connection you are looking for, while also being able to show you the host details (Auto ping host - enabled as seen above in my settings)

 

--Booted up Steam/Destiny 2 in spectating mode AND THEN set filtering mode when in Orbit before starting a PvP match.

Currently, this will most likely not work. I've only had it seem like it is working & I only say this because I've had Auto Ping host enabled and it will give me details when it seems to work yet the connections I see in the lobby are suspect compared to the above situational set-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, d.o.c said:

Results so far...

Settings:

  • 500 miles
  • Strict Mode - ENABLED
  • Auto Ping Host - ENABLED
  • Ping Assist - 30

-- Booted up Steam/Destiny 2 while in Filtering mode

Not sure if this is a Steam issue vs. Bungie match-making system issue but it seems that the first match of any PvP mode will result in a local lobby which is what we want when using geo-filtering but after the first match it seems that either Steam forces you into another region server (making geo-filter not work properly and not display any details on the host).

Otherwise when it does work; you will have the steady connection you are looking for, while also being able to show you the host details (Auto ping host - enabled as seen above in my settings)

--Booted up Steam/Destiny 2 in spectating mode AND THEN set filtering mode when in Orbit before starting a PvP match.

Currently, this will most likely not work. I've only had it seem like it is working & I only say this because I've had Auto Ping host enabled and it will give me details when it seems to work yet the connections I see in the lobby are suspect compared to the above situational set-up.

Do you get icons appearing with dashed circles outside your radius? If so that's due to Ping Assist and I wouldn't suggest having that enabled for Destiny. Does that change the behaviour at all? Change it to 0 with the game/steam completely shutdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Identical settings above but now with Ping assist set to 0:

  • Closed Destiny 2
  • Closed Steam
  • Put geo-filter into filtering mode
  • Booted up Steam then Destiny 2

On my first match making game it showed circle servers (valid)  outside of my range, but also had denied players by those outside servers. Also once that match started the details in the auto-ping never showed up again for the remainder of the match.

500mile_closedboot.thumb.PNG.241d2845346401f1d11089634e420598.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tested Destiny 2 again and everything worked okay for me, except that auto ping didn't seem to catch what server I was on. I was still able to manually ping everything though.

I had my PC set as a PlayStation, and I had strict mode on. I put my radius somewhere in america, and although it took a while I was able to get a crucible game.

The only issue was that there appeared to be somebody in brazil that was constantly shown as blocked, even after I joined the game. I assume they were being routed through the whitelisted dedicated server which showed up in America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once I get time later, I will start recording my screens to show the difference in connections when Ping assist is on/off.

With Ping Assist Off I've noticed -- longer queue times with a 50% chance you'll only match people within your set "home" distance range (typically seems to happen after the first PvP match); I've had instances were it looks like a UK server is connecting me to EU player lobby.

With Ping Assist On I've noticed -- shorter queue times  (night/day difference) with more "stable" but suspect connections. Also looks like a higher chance of having players in your lobby or hosting your lobby that are outside of your set "home" distance range.

This is also maybe due to the fact I am in EST (time zone) so no one in my area is playing PvP right now. So most likely  tomorrow morning at 8am (EST) I'l try to get a recording of the geo-filter in action along with my game capture.

Otherwise the Auto-ping host looks like it only works when the lobby host is within your set criteria.

** Also all of my testing has been done solo queue in either 'Classic mix' (since it is not supposed to be skilled base, but connection based) or in 'Gambit Prime' **

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the geo-filter (even if it does work) only filters out your own team mates.. the other half the lobby (opposite team) are all outside my criteria. This happens almost every match (PC, set device to console) of the matches; I have come to the conclusion nothing will fix this issue since the move from bnet to steam (no disrespect to the IT team who work on the Duma software).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to keep up with Destiny because they keep changing how their servers work. It's quite a complicated game to Geo-Filter because of the way matchmaking uses a mix of peers and servers. We're going to keep testing to try and find what's not working correctly with Destiny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to be more of a Steam issue compared to Bungie; I've never had issues on Battle-net since they had their own North America server.

And what I mean by North America server; is the login server to the battle net client has presets for each region, and not just for the friends list server.

And the only reason I say this is due to the fact I see way more blocked players yet 'allowed' servers on the eastern part of my map; yet a handful if that within the US, let alone within my criteria range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...