gkontos10

first steps after bought XR500

Good morning Guys

I just bought a USED NetGear XR500 (i used the Netduma R1 since launch) 
so i have some questions that i have to share them with you

1. What is my firs steps to do after i receive the XR500 as its used ??
2. Do i need to update Netgear software and DumaOS ?? if yes how i can do this ??
3. how can i factory reset XR500 ??
4. Until now i had connected me R1 as bridge through my modem .. the XR500 will be just plug and play or i need to change something else ??
5. Do you beleive that i will see huge difference from R1 to XR500 (i mean on wifi range, speed and DumaOS) ??

what else i need to know ???

1/2/3: If you can access the interface, you should go to Settings > Backup Settings > Factory Reset. The router will check for an update automatically during the setup procedure. If you can't get to the interface, you can reset it using the button on the back. https://kb.netgear.com/000053098/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-router

4: Just connect the XR500 to the modem and you should be good to go.

5. Wifi Range will be a big improvement, maximum speeds while using QoS should be much better.

--

By default, Smart Connect is enabled, which combines the 2.4 and 5GHz bands of WiFi into one, and gives each device the best one it's compatible with.

If you like, you can seperate the two bands and give them seperate names/passwords. 5GHz is faster but shorter range, 2.4GHz is slower but longer range.

There's also a guest network you can enable so that you don't need to give house guests your password.

Netgear router and DumaOS have different software updates, or its just the DumaOS on the forum? 

I mean is there any update from netgear side? 

Yeah basically Netgear provides all updates for the XR500. We send Netgear our DumaOS updates and they integrate them into their next firmware.

Sometimes Netgear pushes out an update which doesn't change DumaOS at all, but does contain bug fixes or changes to the Settings section.

All of Netgear's updates can be downloaded here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx

You can't install updates that we release on this forum.

Well if you go to Settings > Administration > Firmware Update, you can press a button to check for new updates.

You can also choose to Agree or Disagree to receiving new updates automatically.

You can also upload a firmware file from here, if for example you want to downgrade to an earlier version, or if you are taking part in a beta.

Well the R1 uses 192.168.88.1 by default, whereas the XR500 uses 192.168.1.1, so that's slightly different

But the interface is largely the same. The biggest differences are in the Settings section, which is unique to Netgear routers.

It's compatible, but not FULLY compatible. What I mean by that is that you can't control all of the DumaOS features through that app.

The DumaOS app is coming soon though.