The dude

Setting up a tp link ac 1200 with netduma using bt super fast broadband

Hello, I've just received the netduma r1 and have been trying to set it up to no avail with the tp link ac1200, aka archer vr400. I've been able to set it to bridge mode and to disable the ppoee connection, but this drops the internet from the tp link. I've seen a few forum posts suggesting setting up a dmz for the Duma or port forwarding and turning off upnp but none of this has worked or I've not gone about it correctly.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Is your physical setup BT Hub > TP Link > R1? 

What are your bandwidth speeds? 

PPPoE is required for a connection so disabling it would result in not internet like you've said.

I'll wait for you to answer these questions as depending on that I can advise the best setup.

In that case you will definitely need the TP Link to handle PPPoE so you'll need to put those details back in and you'll have internet on the R1. Then you can use the DMZ with the R1 WAN IP so that you can get an Open NAT on your devices.

I've already been there with that setup and I get double nat on my xbox. I had the r1 in the dmz and without and it was the same outcome. When performing a ping test I get terrible, terrible and terrible with zero packet loss.

When I go to the network section on Duma os I get the blue box warning, this occurs whether the tp link is in bridge mode or not.

That blue box is fine, it's not an error. So your setup is ethernet from the wall into TP Link > R1 > Devices correct? 

Are you using UPnP or Port Forwarding on the R1? 

If you're connected directly to the TP link what is the connection like? I've not heard of anyone replacing the hub, I think it would be required to keep it. 

I would suggest BT Hub > R1 with the hub in modem mode if possible and R1 handling PPPoE.

My set up is tp link to r1. I replaced the hub because it kept dropping connection for no reason, I've had 3 replacements and a couple of engineers that couldn't fix the problem so switched to the tp link and haven't had a problem since.

If I switched back to the hub I wouldn't be able to use it i  modem only mode as the hh5 doesnt have that functionality as far as I'm aware.

On the r1 I have upnp turned on on the tp link I've had it with upnp on and off with no discernible difference.

As for port forwarding I'm not really sure how to set that up or what info I'd need or from where.

The connection to my tp link is fine with the r1, upload and download speeds remained the same as when I just had the tp link (35 down 7 up)

Okay try this:

1. Set a static IP on the TP Link for the R1
  2. Put that IP in the TP Link DMZ
  3. Disable TP Link WiFi & UPnP
  4. Connect ALL devices to the R1
  5. Ensure UPnP is enabled on the R1
  6. Disable the Geo-Filter and do a NAT test on the console Network Settings.

So I tried setting up what you suggested but I'm unable to access the netduma at all. If I try to select the netduma from my phone to connect to wirelessly it says failed to obtain ip address.

I've tried accessing the netduma os through entering the ip address in google and it says site cant be reached.

I've also tried hard resetting with the recessed button on back but that does nothing, no sound or difference in operation.

I dont have a computer to hardwire to the netduma.

That's unfortunate as most troubleshooting requires a wired PC/laptop, is it possible for you to pick up an ethernet adapter or borrow a laptop from someone?

Hello again, I've since tried to access the netduma via an ethernet adapter via my phone and I also borrowed a friends laptop and connect directly to the netduma but I cannot access its interface from 192.168.88.1.

I am certain all the cabling was sound as I could access my tp link via my phone with the ethernet adapter and with the borrowed laptop hardwired.

Trying to reset the netduma via the pinhole does nothing still, no beep or change in operation.

At this point I'm seriously thinking about returning the netduma.

Is the laptop in question set to automatically obtain an IP address? What IP address does the computer report having when plugged into the R1? Also did you disable the Wifi connection when you did this, just to make sure the requests all go to the right place?

I couldn't connect to it at all, wifi was turned off and it was set to not automatically connect to a wifi network

The ip address it connected to was the one for the tp link and this was whilst wifi on the tp link was disabled.

Wait so it's getting an IP from the TP link rather than the R1? That's strange. Is DHCP enabled on the Netduma?

Hmm... Could you set up the Netduma so that the only wired plugged into it are the Power cable and LAN to your laptop. Reset the Netduma using the button on the back, make sure to hold the button for a good long time to make sure. Now hopefully you'll be able to get into the Netduma over ethernet from your laptop, and you can make sure that DHCP is enabled and that PPPoE is set up correctly.

Then once you've confirmed that the R1 is set up as you'd like, you can plug the TP-Link into the WAN port and cross your fingers that nothing breaks.

The reset button on the netduma doesnt work. I have a reset tool that you use for resetting phones etc and I have held it in for over a minute with no change to the netduma, no beeping or change to the flashing lights.

I'll set it all up again as you've asked and let you know how it goes.

That's really weird, the button must be broken on your unit. I assume you can still reset from within the interface though?

So when did you receive your R1?

What operating system did it arrive with? The original firmware or DumaOS?

Were you ever able to use DumaOS on it before this happened? Did the problem occur when trying to upgrade?

Was there seemingly any cause for the sudden inability to access the interface?

It arrived a week ago tomorrow, initially I was able to access the interface and it had the standard os applied, eg I hadn't  upgraded to the new os.

When I was unable to get an open nat I disconnected the netduma from my tp link and unplugged it in order to game that night. My first post in this thread was after this and upon being given advice from Fraser I attempted to follow his instructions but was unable to access the interface. I tried a factory reset on the netduma via the pinhole with a specific reset tool which didnt work, no reset sound and no difference in light operation.

From my limited understanding either the unit has developed a fault or the dchp "handshake" is not taking place with directly connected devices.