Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Or simply forget netgear and create a R2 as evoked upstream ... more powerful, more evolved, with the latest software and hardware functionality and a regular update monitoring in agreement with the community. Personally, I would be ready to put the price if such a project was born.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fuzy said:

Or simply forget netgear and create a R2 as evoked upstream ... more powerful, more evolved, with the latest software and hardware functionality and a regular update monitoring in agreement with the community. Personally, I would be ready to put the price if such a project was born.

I've been saying this for a while as well and asking them if they we're planning on making an R2. I guess the merge with netgear destroyed that, idk. I would rather stick with netduma since they will update it faster than netgear will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30.04.2019 at 00:32, bbursley said:

Nie sądzę, aby gracze celowo robili swoje połączenie źle, myślę, że ludzie po prostu dołączają, a potem nagle pojawiają się przeciążenia sieci LAN, które powodują ekstremalne opóźnienia w ich pakietach powodujących wzrost. Opóźnianie się na skutek celowej przyczyny zwykle wyrzuca cię z holu.

I'm of a different opinion, there are a lot of players using delays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

I've been saying this for a while as well and asking them if they we're planning on making an R2. I guess the merge with netgear destroyed that, idk. I would rather stick with netduma since they will update it faster than netgear will.

partnetship with netgear= more exposure= more money for the team. Problem is...it left us R1 users in the dust. IDC what anyone says, DumaOS on the R1 is not a good product for the device. Thats not to say the firmware idea was bad, I just think these more powerful devices handle the demand better. I constantly have CPU spikes, which means the device can't handle it, and that happens just from going back to the home page of the router lol....imagine when it actually has to do something functional 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, raf1212 said:

I'm of a different opinion, there are a lot of players using delays

delays maybe? Lagswitching is not the same as a delay though. Like I said one cuts the connection off and the other just holds packets longer, therefore adding delay. I never said I thought that delays dont exist, I just dont see it as a feasible choice when we can just move to geo to a further location. Alot of these players are also in parties sometimes. I got into a match before and there was one germany kid with a 2 bar and the rest were american players, and that lobby was SO BAD. The two bar kid would get his streaks no problem. Ironically though, I forced my local servers for BO4 and the game was playing like butter. Even the top player on the team would get killed by me, it felt like a very fair playing ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 5:54 PM, Zennon said:

I might be missing something here but what does a mic have to do with this? Can you only ping peers with mic's enabled?

On the original R1 fw there was a chart for players in your lobby, I use the og FW a lot and when all the players have round about the same ping times give or take around 20ms cod plays in-sync.

When there is somebody in with a 80-120 sometimes its higher it throws the sync out.

I can manually do this by using the old FW and checking the chart, I was asking for DumaOS to plot peer pings and to boot me auto from a lobby if they are over the threshold, what has this to do with mic's Iain? like I say I dont want to hear people with that high a ping I want to auto back out the lobby :)

Hi sorry for delayed response I'm super busy at the moment. We'll respond to other messages either tomorrow or latest Friday.

I think in CoD the only reason you have a connection to other peers is due to the voice channel. I presume all game data is exclusively between your client and the server. So you'd have to use the voice channel to detect peers then you can do some round-trip-time detection that way.  Either way it's something I've thought of for a while now and I think the best course of action is to run an experiment before investing too much resources into making a polished verson for everyone (assuming experiment proves it valid).

Just to be totally explicit I think that if you don't have voice channels in a star topology game (i.e. one server and each client only connects to the server) then this solution certainly won't work. So this won't work for PubG, Apex legends etc. I'm not certain on battle royale for BOP but I assume with that many players you're gonna have a hard time finding games if you filter by single player with larger latency. So if this works you probably want to have a percentage of lobby > latency as the filtering criteria.

Hope that makes sense. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 7:10 PM, CrophiXx said:

That question was really good. 

I personally use this Router at most for UFC 3 which uses P2P in first place. When both players cant connect to each other, they get routed over a Server. Strict mode etc does a perfect job at this BUT too often I run into ppl wo have a 50-60 ping when we connect but short after that, I can watch their ping spikes up to 200-400 and they lag horribly even though the ping blocker accepted that connection. 

I would also LOVE a function where i could immediately close the connection to someone like that because in the game warframe there are countless trolls and there is no votekick system in that game. 

I think you quoted the wrong post. Are you discussing filtering not only by distance to server but also by ping to player? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Netduma Iain said:

Hi sorry for delayed response I'm super busy at the moment. We'll respond to other messages either tomorrow or latest Friday.

I think in CoD the only reason you have a connection to other peers is due to the voice channel. I presume all game data is exclusively between your client and the server. So you'd have to use the voice channel to detect peers then you can do some round-trip-time detection that way.

Hope that makes sense.

Yeah, thanks Iain ive got you now, I did not realize it would need voice channel to be effective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted recently about Allow/Deny not working on the XR500 in P2P games/connections. Below is a summary of things I've done in effort to get it working with no effect.

  • I've rebooted the router many times.
  • Restarted my game console many times.
  • Flushed the Geo-Filter cloud many times.
  • I've tried turning off/on strict mode and auto ping of varying combinations.
  • I've deleted my console from the filtered device list then re-added it. (and yes it's set to "filtering" mode).
  • I've also deleted and then re-added the same individuals to my list but Allow/Deny just doesn't seem to work! The same high ping people are repeatedly able to join my lobbies despite my settings.

There are many other posts noting the similar issues going back months. Yet it seem as if the devs aren't/weren't aware of the issue or aren't doing much to get this feature working as advertised. 

Why hasn't this been addressed yet? When will it be fixed? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, questvr3 said:

I posted recently about Allow/Deny not working on the XR500 in P2P games/connections. Below is a summary of things I've done in effort to get it working with no effect.

  • I've rebooted the router many times.
  • Restarted my game console many times.
  • Flushed the Geo-Filter cloud many times.
  • I've tried turning off/on strict mode and auto ping of varying combinations.
  • I've deleted my console from the filtered device list then re-added it. (and yes it's set to "filtering" mode).
  • I've also deleted and then re-added the same individuals to my list but Allow/Deny just doesn't seem to work! The same high ping people are repeatedly able to join my lobbies despite my settings.

There are many other posts noting the similar issues going back months. Yet it seem as if the devs aren't/weren't aware of the issue or aren't doing much to get this feature working as advertised. 

Why hasn't this been addressed yet? When will it be fixed?

This is more to do with support, I believe we've managed to reproduce this issue (which now makes it easier to fix) so the devs can start figuring out where the issue likes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I have the XR500 with DumaOS and just love it, their is one thing I kinda miss that my old router had (Asus RT-AC87U) is an scheduler for rebooting.

 

image.png.63c1dc3014c7919e0d47ed56ce9ef3a1.png

 

Could be something like this above where you easy can enable it ans choose when and what time to reboot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TurboFreak said:

Hi,

I have the XR500 with DumaOS and just love it, their is one thing I kinda miss that my old router had (Asus RT-AC87U) is an scheduler for rebooting.

 

image.png.63c1dc3014c7919e0d47ed56ce9ef3a1.png

 

Could be something like this above where you easy can enable it ans choose when and what time to reboot.

Thanks for sharing this idea. If you have any other future suggestions over how we can continue to improve DumaOS, let us know in our feedback & ideas subforum: https://forum.netduma.com/forum/9-feature-ideas-improvements-for-dumaos/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 6:53 PM, major masingil said:

has the glitch with wifi calling not working correctly on DumaOS on R1 V1.3 been figured out, and will it be implemented in V1.4? 

No sorry it has not. We will investigate soon.

On 4/29/2019 at 6:56 PM, bbursley said:

Heres something I was hoping for, (not sure if it was suggested yet). If we boot the games up, all servers are generally located in doing so, so would it be possible for the DumaOS to traceroute each one and measure the latency, variation, hops etc., then create a special individual profile for allowing and denying based on that information? For example...(this might include player host types too, maybe?), you boot the game up and obviously all dedis are supposed to be seen, so then the netduma can grab all those IP's and ping each one of them, making not of the things suggested above, from there a user could view this in a tab where they could create a "profile" much like we usually have where we could deny the ones we decided we didn't want. so when we go to play these different games, we can select "BO4" profile, and the netduma can partly use this in its filtering process, additionally perhaps it could still have a ping rule somehow in case the game was like...nope no server for you, we need you on a player host instead, then the netduma could weed out the worst of those. I mean Its kind of a garbled suggestion but I think it would make each game experience more personalized and optimized.

Ok I think I understand what you mean. You'd like to take multiple parameters describing a host and let the user use a heuristic to decide if the host is allowed or not. Then allow different heuristics for different games. You're already kinda of doing this with the combination of ping-assist and Geo-filtering.  Problem with other metrics like traceroute (hop-count) is they are very flaky as not all core routers respond to them also it is a very slow operation so if we were to do it it'd need to be running the background all the time.

 

On 4/29/2019 at 7:10 PM, CrophiXx said:

That question was really good. 

I personally use this Router at most for UFC 3 which uses P2P in first place. When both players cant connect to each other, they get routed over a Server. Strict mode etc does a perfect job at this BUT too often I run into ppl wo have a 50-60 ping when we connect but short after that, I can watch their ping spikes up to 200-400 and they lag horribly even though the ping blocker accepted that connection. 

I would also LOVE a function where i could immediately close the connection to someone like that because in the game warframe there are countless trolls and there is no votekick system in that game. 

 

See my prior response to Zennon about player-filtering. In regard to kicking a player out, in a server based game you can't do that you can only kick yourself out by blocking the connection. Hope that helps.

 

On 4/29/2019 at 7:44 PM, bbursley said:

Are you under the impression that the netduma blocks bad player connections? cuz it does not do that. The only thing the NetdumaOS of all forms was designed to do in the geofilter is blocking hosts. You cant control who connects to the game. HOWEVER, I dont see why if this was P2P why we might not be able to have some control over the other players that connect to the lobby. Even at that we would have to be host ourselves.

See my prior response to Zennon please.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:36 PM, Danny80916 said:

I would love to become a tester hardware or software ! 😁I do like me some netduma routers I have the xr500 and xr700 along with a ton of other netgear routers .

We don't need any right now but please submit your interest by emailing [email protected] and the team will get back to you in due course :)

On 4/30/2019 at 8:47 AM, titofuenla said:

With luck and soon... I've been with the R1 for more than 3 years and it's something I've been waiting for a long time.
In the original firmware was the option, but it did not work, I asked the team if I could repair it and they told me that it would be better to wait for DumaOS than to repair it because the team was completely immersed in the development of DumaOS. In the first beta versions that I could participate, if it included the option and the truth, I was glad to see it, although the joy lasted little because it was still broken and then it was eliminated from the following versions, losing all my hope.
I not only ask to eliminate the annoying double Nat because the truth is that with the DMZ is barely perceptible, but also because I can use the R1 neutral router and finally eliminate the damn router from the equation provided by the ISP that is completely garbage and makes my bufferbloat the most unpleasant thing that it can be to play online, besides that they are very blocked so that we can not work with them or do many things.

Greetings and I regret having extended so much, but as I said, they are something more than 3 long years waiting to use this option and using the R1 as neutral, was one of the options to buy it.

Continue this netduma team, you are doing a great job.

😉

Sorry mate I'm not sure what you mean? Are you asking for DMZ on the router, if so that will be in the next DumaOS release :) Thanks for the kind words!

On 4/30/2019 at 8:54 AM, Killhippie said:

Are any of the devs going to push Netgear to update their code, so we are not running outdated versions opf OpeneSSL with possible vulnerabilities or minupnd which is still version 1.0 and is over a decade old! I ask about the low lying code on Netgears side because in this day and age being safe online is important the more IoT devices we have. etc As of now now the version of OpenSSL is from December 2017 1.0.2n I believe, and miniupnd is over decade old. There are so many packages Netgear dont update that third party firmware devs like Voxel (he can be found on the smallnetbuilder forum) he does a fork for the R7800 and R9000 using Netgears code with tweaks and updated packages to help with security and performance and general reliability

 Netgear filter ICMP for IPV6 which isn't helpful, most other router manufacturers don't, so this leads me to when will DumaOS actually support IPv6 and will you try and get Netgear to stop filtering ICMP? More ISP's are using IPv6 now (mine, which is IDNet have used it for years) and it would be good if DumaOS was compatible with what is really the future of internet routing.  Also anything in the works for a solution like Asus AiProtection. I know Netgear have Bitdefender Armour (I can't see that coming to the XR500 and its brethren) but DumaOS could have something similar baked in possibly or would put you at odds with Netgear?

Any chance of a guide or a semi automated QoS because hell I have no idea what my printer or Zeppelin wireless speaker should be using bandwidth wise and I don't want to spend hours tweaking it tbh, they certainly don't need an equal share of what's left after antibufferbloat takes its percentage,. so maybe a high, medium or low initial setting for certain devices could be given at set up and of course have it user configurable for those that want to tweak further, rather like the defunct Qualcomm streamboost and better seen in Cake or FQ-CoDel. I know Cake is more CPU intensive so maybe not great to run on older hardware, but something like cake would be really helpful to many I'm sure. We also need more device classifications please, that was also promised but never materialised. and will we get WOL on these routers?

 I know they are gaming routers but some thought needs to be put into the fact they will be used as the households main router, so streaming, NAS functionality etc all need to be looked into and improved, I would love to be able to prioritise devices that use a lot of bandwidth for streaming as well as the small amount for gaming. Also maybe a theme that isn't red, the Asus colour scheme is clear and concise, so something similar would be great. Red looks snazzy for a gaming router which I imagine was part of the thought process behind the colour scheme of both the R1 and later DumaOS Netgear devices, but damn its hard on the eyes at times, and not great for colour-blind people I imagine.

Netgear is a public company so we can't comment on anything about them as it is literally illegal as it could impact share price. So all my comments in this thread are regarding DumaOS.

Thanks for the suggestions on security. We're aware that is a big area for customers and we do want to bring something offerings to you at some point. But we're not currently developing that. On IPv6 you've already contacted us about this via email, we will add this in due course but our current goal is to bring new features. Remember IPv6 routing does work just some of the features don't. But rest assured it is coming soon.

The details of QoS is different on different platforms (we use fq-codel, codel and our own algo for bufferbloat). Kudos to David Taht for codel implementation btw. But remember that is only a 1/3 of our current QoS solution ;) Watch this space....

As mentioned earlier themes will be coming soon to DumaOS. They are actually already on milestone 1.3 but are buggy so we pulled the plug on them, they should be available soon.

Also one thing to clarify, any LAN traffic should only need wireless QoS as it does not actually reach the routers CPU when using the switch. 

 

On 4/30/2019 at 11:57 AM, Fuzy said:

Can you tell us more about adding DHCP option. Most players are looking for the best possible connections by turning to Optical Fiber. Not wanting to multiply the different routers, we need these options as well as the vlan to get rid of our ISP box obsolete! I discuss with many members who deserve to turn to DUMAOS because these options are not available vis-à-vis the competition!

VLAN should be in next DumaOS release :)

 

On 4/30/2019 at 10:40 PM, DAKOTADOCKALL said:

I think iv asked this before but could there be a feature in the future to wheere you can have a button you press in the QOS that automatically does a speed test and sets that in for the sliders could be useful.  

Yes that is being implemented.

On 5/1/2019 at 3:27 AM, purpleandgold33 said:

I posted this a long time ago and Jack thought it was a good idea and he said he was going to bring it up to you guys. So here's my post and suggestion. Can we get this soon please?!! 

Duma needs a temp ban feature that actually works. How you work it is you'll have the option to ban for say like 1 hour or multiple hours or 24 hrs. I don;t know about anyone else but in bo4 I pretty much play on ping assist and connect to all of the servers around 30ms. But that doesn't mean its a good server cause low ping, obviously. So sometimes for say like chicago server is playing like crap but yesterday it played great. Well, 24 hr ban or whatever. Cod ww2 chicago for me played like absolute garbage. Unplayable always. So permanent ban then. This feature is so important that it should've been done yesterday! 

Right so temporary ban being the key. Gotcha thanks for the feedback.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:47 AM, Killhippie said:

Yes please oh please can we have a speed test button in the GUI that's been promised for so long and has never materialised, also any chance of being able to update DumaOS though Netgear without netgears layer needing updating. The sparse updates from Netgear and lack of bug patches from Netduma is a bit tedious. Also more testing on Macs please, I just found out NTGR were testing the router on El Capitan, thats five years old, and new macs have a completely new file system, called APFS. HFS+ is out the window, also testing with safari 10 isn't helpful when we are on 12.1! Netduma need to talk with Netgear otherwise these routers are just going to be as buggy and as insecure as other Netgear routers and DumaOS may be also buggy due to Netgears lack of due diligence updating their outdated  code, just a thought.

Can't comment on NG. And for the foresseable future we will push updates via firmware as simplify matters. But some day it would be cool to not do that....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2019 at 2:54 PM, purpleandgold33 said:

I've been saying this for a while as well and asking them if they we're planning on making an R2. I guess the merge with netgear destroyed that, idk. I would rather stick with netduma since they will update it faster than netgear will.

 

On 5/1/2019 at 10:55 AM, Fuzy said:

Or simply forget netgear and create a R2 as evoked upstream ... more powerful, more evolved, with the latest software and hardware functionality and a regular update monitoring in agreement with the community. Personally, I would be ready to put the price if such a project was born.

Thanks for the feedback on your interest in an R2.

21 hours ago, questvr3 said:

I posted recently about Allow/Deny not working on the XR500 in P2P games/connections. Below is a summary of things I've done in effort to get it working with no effect.

  • I've rebooted the router many times.
  • Restarted my game console many times.
  • Flushed the Geo-Filter cloud many times.
  • I've tried turning off/on strict mode and auto ping of varying combinations.
  • I've deleted my console from the filtered device list then re-added it. (and yes it's set to "filtering" mode).
  • I've also deleted and then re-added the same individuals to my list but Allow/Deny just doesn't seem to work! The same high ping people are repeatedly able to join my lobbies despite my settings.

There are many other posts noting the similar issues going back months. Yet it seem as if the devs aren't/weren't aware of the issue or aren't doing much to get this feature working as advertised. 

Why hasn't this been addressed yet? When will it be fixed? 

 

Thanks for feedback, I thought this had been fixed. Joseph has let us know recently we'll double check and if not push fix in next version. If you need assistance please post in support forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Netduma Iain said:

Thanks for feedback, I thought this had been fixed. Joseph has let us know recently we'll double check and if not push fix in next version. If you need assistance please post in support forum.

Thanks for getting back to me. Can this be a hot fix push because version releases are too infrequent. If not could I test this version somehow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey again Duma Staff, have a few more questions :)

1 Is there anything planned for the use of the USB port on the R1 feature wise?

2 Could the netduma have the ability to detect local WiFi latency (Router to desired device)

3 Could we have statistics on what R-App is using up CPU resources for troubleshooting purposes?

Also I know you guys don't get this very often but thankyou for your hard work and dedication to this project. Netduma will only continue to get better as the milestones go by. Keep it up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Netduma Iain said:

No sorry it has not. We will investigate soon.

Ok I think I understand what you mean. You'd like to take multiple parameters describing a host and let the user use a heuristic to decide if the host is allowed or not. Then allow different heuristics for different games. You're already kinda of doing this with the combination of ping-assist and Geo-filtering.  Problem with other metrics like traceroute (hop-count) is they are very flaky as not all core routers respond to them also it is a very slow operation so if we were to do it it'd need to be running the background all the time.

 

 

See my prior response to Zennon about player-filtering. In regard to kicking a player out, in a server based game you can't do that you can only kick yourself out by blocking the connection. Hope that helps.

 

See my prior response to Zennon please.

We don't need any right now but please submit your interest by emailing [email protected] and the team will get back to you in due course :)

Sorry mate I'm not sure what you mean? Are you asking for DMZ on the router, if so that will be in the next DumaOS release :) Thanks for the kind words!

Netgear is a public company so we can't comment on anything about them as it is literally illegal as it could impact share price. So all my comments in this thread are regarding DumaOS.

Thanks for the suggestions on security. We're aware that is a big area for customers and we do want to bring something offerings to you at some point. But we're not currently developing that. On IPv6 you've already contacted us about this via email, we will add this in due course but our current goal is to bring new features. Remember IPv6 routing does work just some of the features don't. But rest assured it is coming soon.

The details of QoS is different on different platforms (we use fq-codel, codel and our own algo for bufferbloat). Kudos to David Taht for codel implementation btw. But remember that is only a 1/3 of our current QoS solution ;) Watch this space....

As mentioned earlier themes will be coming soon to DumaOS. They are actually already on milestone 1.3 but are buggy so we pulled the plug on them, they should be available soon.

Also one thing to clarify, any LAN traffic should only need wireless QoS as it does not actually reach the routers CPU when using the switch. 

 

VLAN should be in next DumaOS release :)

 

Yes that is being implemented.

Right so temporary ban being the key. Gotcha thanks for the feedback.

Can't comment on NG. And for the foresseable future we will push updates via firmware as simplify matters. But some day it would be cool to not do that....

Well I have never emailed you as I don't know your email address for a start!. As to the rest sadly I think its time I started looking at moving on to pastures new by the looks of things, after reading this if things don't rapidly improve. Full IPv6 support is something I personally think is vital in 2019 and since your router does not fully support it, it would be a new feature! My last three Netgear routers could all do it, badly mind you as they block ICMP you but they could do it with all features working. What appears to be a lack of interest in pushing hard to fully implement it seems to me to be almost avoidance , maybe it will take to much of a code re-write to make it work, but then again when DumaOS was being written did no one thing that full IPv6 support would be needed considering that's where most routers had got to, even my old DGND4000 could use IPv6 back in 2012.  I don't think its really illegal to talk about updating packages in Netgears code, happens all the time on other forums with third party Devs and even on the Netgear support site. All I seem to see here is just a lot of political side stepping tbh. Well you are teamed up with Netgear so Its hardly surprising, but saddening that you have no wish to try to improve the code that yours runs side by side with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if something like a traceroute was not feasible then what about just a standard multiple ping test to all hosts/servers upon startup and also while searching for matches. I mean we are doing this with geofilter yes and no because every game does not really use the same servers or player hosts or whatever else, also us players may be skipping out on really good servers that are actually near us that we might not be using based on the fact we dont know the connection is good. OR perhaps on bootup of games when all the servers show we could get some sort of ping number indicated. But with the first idea i mentioned we would be able to test all servers and pings/jitter etc. I mean if they are showing up then im sure they can be pinged in the process. Like If I had a server in new york that might be a better or worse ping and better or worse jitter over idk another server somewhere else somewhat near by. I wouldnt know if I only set my geo in one spot only, that server nearer or further may have a better route and as such maybe will reflect a lower ping/jitter. The misconception is that closer is better, this is absolutely wrong. Your route SOLELY determines everything, and thats based on your connection and ISP. I mean I could have cable with a an amazing route or fiber with a crap route and vice versa. We make to many assumptions based on, "oh this is fiber, is has to be better". NOPE, thats wrong, my friend in chicago has comcast cable and my experience using it was trash, for him, its practically like having fiber, when he plays in bo3 he will have his streaks in no time, same with fortnite, he just does well because despite what we regard as a lesser connection than fiber, it operates nearly as good because of the infrastructure near him. SO, I might assume that maybe because that new york server is close to me its better right? But thats not always the case, In fact ive found that the best server I have ever played on was in virginia or somewhere around there. But that doesnt mean there isnt another server Im ignoring because i am not aware that it might be good too. Idk I think there could be way more customization and profiling in the geo section, not every person will have that same experience with the same setting and we need to somehow find a way to break away from that. Its just so misleading the way netduma advertises the router as closer is best. But when we have that mentality were potentially closing off some of the best games we could ever have.

Id also like to see more in depth information regarding that matter, like as i said route can be the master of the game and no location, so we could have some statistics laid out where if your connection behaves like "this" then try "this" or maybe perhaps the netduma can examine that on its own somehow and then find the best connection. Sure, some of this stuff might be slower, and if people are willing to have patience and let it find the best connection then they deserve it, otherwise it can just be some feature people do not enable by default. But I mean, I do like where youre going with the idea of adjusting with the games connection, or whatever it was, something along those lines. Its those things that are really going to push the envelope of better connection gaming. I think there is just a massive amount of experimentation that will have to be done to really make these things come together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to implement a dual antibufferbloat system system where the 70% antibufferbloat (or whatever you found worked best) only kicks in when gaming but antibufferbloat can work less aggressively all the time when not gaming? So QoS works all the time and antibufferbloat can help with streaming Netflix, Prime, YouTube etc without reducing overall bandwidth so much? Then when gaming it will kick in to your desired setting like 70% etc. So basically you have a sort of dual setting with a more aggressive antibufferbloat for gaming when high priority packets are detected kicks in, rather than no antibufferbloat at all as it is now if you use that setting.

For those on lower speeds or non symmetrical services that would help out so the router works well as a home routing device and a excellent gaming device at the same time with a little more automation, and also taking the guess work out of the QoS a bit, because after a year I still have no idea what a Wi-Fi speaker should have for upload and download speeds, the same goes for my printer and my soundbar. So maybe some auto QoS rules (low, medium and high) that can be manually adjusted and a dual antibufferbloat system, to appease gamers and non gamers alike and also give the household more bandwidth for those on slower VDSL2 services, and of course a way to not implement any of this this if you don't want/need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 6:51 AM, sabarblade said:

Hey again Duma Staff, have a few more questions :)

1 Is there anything planned for the use of the USB port on the R1 feature wise?

2 Could the netduma have the ability to detect local WiFi latency (Router to desired device)

3 Could we have statistics on what R-App is using up CPU resources for troubleshooting purposes?

Also I know you guys don't get this very often but thankyou for your hard work and dedication to this project. Netduma will only continue to get better as the milestones go by. Keep it up!

1. I believe so but it is not top of the list so still a quite a few months away at least. Is there anything specific you desire? The obvious one is running a file server of course 

2. We could on some routers but not all and it is not straightforward. Is there a reason you ask?

3. Sure that is a good idea!

Thanks for the kind words very much appreciated :D 

 

On 5/4/2019 at 8:24 AM, Killhippie said:

Well I have never emailed you as I don't know your email address for a start!. As to the rest sadly I think its time I started looking at moving on to pastures new by the looks of things, after reading this if things don't rapidly improve. Full IPv6 support is something I personally think is vital in 2019 and since your router does not fully support it, it would be a new feature! My last three Netgear routers could all do it, badly mind you as they block ICMP you but they could do it with all features working. What appears to be a lack of interest in pushing hard to fully implement it seems to me to be almost avoidance , maybe it will take to much of a code re-write to make it work, but then again when DumaOS was being written did no one thing that full IPv6 support would be needed considering that's where most routers had got to, even my old DGND4000 could use IPv6 back in 2012.  I don't think its really illegal to talk about updating packages in Netgears code, happens all the time on other forums with third party Devs and even on the Netgear support site. All I seem to see here is just a lot of political side stepping tbh. Well you are teamed up with Netgear so Its hardly surprising, but saddening that you have no wish to try to improve the code that yours runs side by side with.

Sorry I should have been more explicit, I think you emailed someone else and eventually the question reached me. I understand your frustration but we have limited resources (as does every company!) and therefore we must prioritise what we think the customers want. We are developing features that a huge percentage of the #DumaAmry want where as IPv6 (albeit important) is desired by far fewer. It is definitely on the roadmap we just have a few other features we want to get out first. Hope you understand. And it is not a political sidestep at all, I have no interest in doing that.

 

On 5/4/2019 at 2:35 PM, Fuzy said:

Linksys ?!!!!

We're very happy with our NG relationship, they make in my opinion the best quality router hardware and have an excellent team.

On 5/4/2019 at 4:46 PM, bbursley said:

So if something like a traceroute was not feasible then what about just a standard multiple ping test to all hosts/servers upon startup and also while searching for matches. I mean we are doing this with geofilter yes and no because every game does not really use the same servers or player hosts or whatever else, also us players may be skipping out on really good servers that are actually near us that we might not be using based on the fact we dont know the connection is good. OR perhaps on bootup of games when all the servers show we could get some sort of ping number indicated. But with the first idea i mentioned we would be able to test all servers and pings/jitter etc. I mean if they are showing up then im sure they can be pinged in the process. Like If I had a server in new york that might be a better or worse ping and better or worse jitter over idk another server somewhere else somewhat near by. I wouldnt know if I only set my geo in one spot only, that server nearer or further may have a better route and as such maybe will reflect a lower ping/jitter. The misconception is that closer is better, this is absolutely wrong. Your route SOLELY determines everything, and thats based on your connection and ISP. I mean I could have cable with a an amazing route or fiber with a crap route and vice versa. We make to many assumptions based on, "oh this is fiber, is has to be better". NOPE, thats wrong, my friend in chicago has comcast cable and my experience using it was trash, for him, its practically like having fiber, when he plays in bo3 he will have his streaks in no time, same with fortnite, he just does well because despite what we regard as a lesser connection than fiber, it operates nearly as good because of the infrastructure near him. SO, I might assume that maybe because that new york server is close to me its better right? But thats not always the case, In fact ive found that the best server I have ever played on was in virginia or somewhere around there. But that doesnt mean there isnt another server Im ignoring because i am not aware that it might be good too. Idk I think there could be way more customization and profiling in the geo section, not every person will have that same experience with the same setting and we need to somehow find a way to break away from that. Its just so misleading the way netduma advertises the router as closer is best. But when we have that mentality were potentially closing off some of the best games we could ever have.

Id also like to see more in depth information regarding that matter, like as i said route can be the master of the game and no location, so we could have some statistics laid out where if your connection behaves like "this" then try "this" or maybe perhaps the netduma can examine that on its own somehow and then find the best connection. Sure, some of this stuff might be slower, and if people are willing to have patience and let it find the best connection then they deserve it, otherwise it can just be some feature people do not enable by default. But I mean, I do like where youre going with the idea of adjusting with the games connection, or whatever it was, something along those lines. Its those things that are really going to push the envelope of better connection gaming. I think there is just a massive amount of experimentation that will have to be done to really make these things come together.

Thanks for the feedback, I think we should be able to find away to ping different servers via a button on the UI. The problem would be determine the server set for different games but it is probably feasible.

I hear you on the traceroute, my initial idea for the Geo-Filter actually used filtering by number of hops. This ended up not working, I'm based in the UK and I found that I'd get to NYC in less hops than I would to Scotlan in some instances. That inspired me to develop the Geo-Filter based on IP mapping which required huge compression and was a load of fun to develop,  alas I digress.... 

 

On 5/6/2019 at 1:53 AM, UK_Wildcats_Fans said:

Is there going to be a consolidated summary of the Q&A?  

Sure, I think we will do that soon :)

On 5/6/2019 at 9:30 AM, Killhippie said:

Is it possible to implement a dual antibufferbloat system system where the 70% antibufferbloat (or whatever you found worked best) only kicks in when gaming but antibufferbloat can work less aggressively all the time when not gaming? So QoS works all the time and antibufferbloat can help with streaming Netflix, Prime, YouTube etc without reducing overall bandwidth so much? Then when gaming it will kick in to your desired setting like 70% etc. So basically you have a sort of dual setting with a more aggressive antibufferbloat for gaming when high priority packets are detected kicks in, rather than no antibufferbloat at all as it is now if you use that setting.

For those on lower speeds or non symmetrical services that would help out so the router works well as a home routing device and a excellent gaming device at the same time with a little more automation, and also taking the guess work out of the QoS a bit, because after a year I still have no idea what a Wi-Fi speaker should have for upload and download speeds, the same goes for my printer and my soundbar. So maybe some auto QoS rules (low, medium and high) that can be manually adjusted and a dual antibufferbloat system, to appease gamers and non gamers alike and also give the household more bandwidth for those on slower VDSL2 services, and of course a way to not implement any of this this if you don't want/need it.

That's a good idea. We are doing heavy research into improving QoS that people should see the benefits from soon :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...