modem question

DAKOTADOCKALL

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Bridge mode passes everything to the router so either it's an issue with the bridge mode or the cables. If you're experiencing it on two different routers those are the likely causes. If you try again now direct to the PC are the speeds similar or are they what you expect?

Hey Fraser, would the issue be that he needs to clone his MAC address of his ISP gateway to his R1?  I think some have to do this in order to get correct speeds.. Does this sound familiar to you?  Just trying to through some ideas out there to try and help..  :)  

Zippy.

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, DAKOTADOCKALL said:

alright ill brb with the speed results

so i cant do this right are ypu asking me to portfoward on the hitron or on the r1?

i just looked at the wan ip on the r1 again and it changed so i put it in the dmz and it went through i couldnt figure out the portforwarding you asked me to do because i dont know what ip to put down but i know how to portforward 

router speed test https://www.speedtest.net/result/8198060069

I meant port forward the R1 on the Hitron but DMZ is better so glad you got that resolved. 

41 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Hey Fraser, would the issue be that he needs to clone his MAC address of his ISP gateway to his R1?  I think some have to do this in order to get correct speeds.. Does this sound familiar to you?  Just trying to through some ideas out there to try and help..  :)  

Zippy.

It's certainly possible MAC has something to do with it, lets give it a try!

29 minutes ago, DAKOTADOCKALL said:

Zippy where would the mac address be found on ,my modem if you mind me asking i look on lan and wan but i dont see it 

As the Hitron is the new equipment in this scenario I would recommend that you look on the underside of the previous modem/gateway you had, there should be a label there which has a MAC address. Then on the Hitron put the MAC address from the label into the Hitron WAN settings if possible.

20 minutes ago, DAKOTADOCKALL said:

i cant see anywhere on wan to add a mac address on my hitron modem

edit would it be MAC-based IP passthrough  by any chance  that im looking for 

Hey Dakota, Usually the MAC address is from the gateway of the said device.. So basically it would be the MAC address from the Hitron.. You would take that MAC and add it into the R1 MAC address.. Usually there will be an option in the R1 that says clone MAC address.. And that is the spot you would add the MAC address from your Hitron..  There is something that Fraser also mentioned.. And that is this Hitron is new.. Is this something you purchased yourself or did you get it from your ISP?  Also if you hook directly to the Hitron are you able to get your correct speeds? This will be helpful to know in case you have a MAC address conflict from your old device to the new Hitron.. Hope this makes sense.. Im trying not to confuse you or the situation..  :) 

Zippy.

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, DAKOTADOCKALL said:

i cant see anywhere on wan to add a mac address on my hitron modem

edit would it be MAC-based IP passthrough  by any chance  that im looking for 

i tried the mac passthrough its not it 

No, it might be in the DHCP page instead.

1 minute ago, Zippy said:

Hey Dakota, Usually the MAC address is from the gateway of the said device.. So basically it would be the MAC address from the Hitron.. You would take that MAC and add it into the R1 MAC address.. Usually there will be an option in the R1 that says clone MAC address.. And that is the spot you would add the MAC address from your Hitron..  There is something that Fraser also mentioned.. And that is this Hitron is new.. Is this something you purchased yourself or did you get it from your ISP?  Also if you hook directly to the Hitron are you able to get your correct speeds? This will be helpful to know in case you have a MAC address conflict from your old device to the new Hitron.. Hope this makes sense.. Im trying not to confuse you or the situation..  :)

Zippy.

The reason I didn't suggest that is because the hitron was the new device so it may be that its' MAC needs to be changed to the previous modem/gateway. Usually if it was modem > router the router would be the new device and then you put in the MAC of the previous router and it works. Could be that though as well, hard to say!

1935090987_DesktopScreenshot2019_04.18-16_32_12_39.thumb.png.ae03701ed222c684aaa85d37685e894f.pngIm leasing my hitron from the isp company and i get full speeds from the modem itself just not when the r1 is hooked up to it ill try and add the mac from the hitron to the r1 and see what speeds i get since its a lable on the bottom ill then edit the speeds i get from it 

okay ill look at the dhcp range page before i do anything else real quick 

is this what im looking for only thing that mac related on dhcp

here is the speed test from adding hitron mac to r1 its bad https://www.speedtest.net/result/8198249905

10 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

No, it might be in the DHCP page instead.

The reason I didn't suggest that is because the hitron was the new device so it may be that its' MAC needs to be changed to the previous modem/gateway. Usually if it was modem > router the router would be the new device and then you put in the MAC of the previous router and it works. Could be that though as well, hard to say!

Good point Fraser! I didn't catch that right away about it being the new device.. But since this is a ISP Hitron and he gets full speeds from there then I think if he took the MAC from that and added it into the R1 he should be good to go..  It sounds like the Hitron is provisioned properly because he is getting full speeds there.. Hope this helps.. If im getting in the way of you trying to help him just let me know! lol..  I don't want to confuse the situation.. :) I see a lot of ISP lock onto the first device MAC address.. In this case it would be the gateway of the Hitron..

Zippy..

So Skippy your saying to try and add the hitron gateway ip to the r1? 

but to be honest im starting to think my r1 speed cap is around 400 or something caped at 400 too on old nighthawk r7000

edit adding hitron gateway made me lose connection  

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Good point Fraser! I didn't catch that right away about it being the new device.. But since this is a ISP Hitron and he gets full speeds from there then I think if he took the MAC from that and added it into the R1 he should be good to go..  It sounds like the Hitron is provisioned properly because he is getting full speeds there.. Hope this helps.. If im getting in the way of you trying to help him just let me know! lol..  I don't want to confuse the situation.. :) I see a lot of ISP lock onto the first device MAC address.. In this case it would be the gateway of the Hitron..

Zippy..

Generally wouldn't recommend it because they'd have the same MAC address, not sure what kind of conflicts that could cause. No no, always happy for suggestions!

16 minutes ago, DAKOTADOCKALL said:

but to be honest im starting to think my r1 speed cap is around 400 or something 

No I wouldn't suggest that. Try this:

1. Factory reset the Hitron
  2. Once up and running again give the R1 a static IP on the Hitron
  3. Put that IP in the DMZ
  4. Disable WiFi on the Hitron
  5. Reboot the R1
  6. Redo the speed test

24 minutes ago, DAKOTADOCKALL said:

but to be honest im starting to think my r1 speed cap is around 400 or something caped at 400 too on old nighthawk r7000

edit adding hitron gateway made me lose connection  

No not the gateway IP of the Hitron but the gateways MAC address of the Hitron.. And add that into the R1 MAC address Cloning... For now follow what Fraser is suggesting and see how things turn out! :) 

Zippy..

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, DAKOTADOCKALL said:

okay ill give that a try brb with the speed results.

okay i think i did it right but the speed is the same pretty much https://www.speedtest.net/result/8198323733

the r1s interface is so much easy to do things on the hitrons is confusing tbh 

Could you do the same process for the other router as well and see if the speeds are the same or different than the R1 please

sure give ill do that right now ill edit the speed test in when im done 

speeds from nighthawk connected to hitron doing same thing i did with r1 https://www.speedtest.net/result/8198401175

Im up to try any ideas to get my speeds above 300  on the r1 connected to this hitron 

for now on if i need to lease a modem im going to make sure its not going to have to be a modem/router combo its a pain.

Do you think it would be best to go back to my old plan? till i can get a modem that is modem only sense i cant get over 300 speeds with this one connected to the r1 and even the nighthawk . iv even tried looking all over google but cant really find anything about this modem itself just others with hitron in its name.

13 hours ago, DAKOTADOCKALL said:

Do you think it would be best to go back to my old plan? till i can get a modem that is modem only sense i cant get over 300 speeds with this one connected to the r1 and even the nighthawk . iv even tried looking all over google but cant really find anything about this modem itself just others with hitron in its name.

Hey Dakota, Who do you have for a ISP? Spectrum?

• Administrators
On 4/20/2019 at 11:42 AM, DAKOTADOCKALL said:

Probably best to do so yes, if it's a consistent issue with multiple routers then it seems to be some sort of compatibility issue with that specific modem.

15 hours ago, DAKOTADOCKALL said:

Zippy my isp is Cableone i have there 1000 gig plan

Okay Dakota!  There is something I find strange about the Hitron you have.. If you currently have the Hitron CGNVM-3582 that modem combo unit is still only DOCSIS 3.0.. Usually once one gets a Gig plan you are running the DOCSIS 3.1.. I honestly have never heard of a DOCSIS 3.0 modem capable to run Gig speeds.. So that maybe why you cant achieve your full speeds.. Another issue ive notice also is if this Hitron you have with the model number CGNVM-3582 that combo unit has the Puma 6 chipset.. Which is the one that was plagued but latency issues.. And I would recommend to try and stay away from that..   If what I have stated above is true and you do currently have that type of Hitron either way you want to get rid of it.. You really want a modem only unit.. Not a combo unit and definitely not anything with a puma 6 chipset..  It has been said that some of the issues with the puma 6 chipset has been fixed.. But there are many that still say its garbage.  So my question to you is can you purchase your own modem and will your ISP allow you to do this?  Also I myself would downgrade your speed package until this gets all sorted out for you because there is no sense in paying for speeds you cant achieve the way you want it..

Hope this helps a bit for you.. Is there a list of modems your ISP does allow? If there is you can share them here and we can give you some advice on which might be your better option..

Zippy.

I had no idea it was a docsis 3.0 and i thought it has a broadcom chip from what BIF_DOG said. And i cant afford to spend 200 dollars on a modem right now and this is the only modem that have to lease for the gig plan. Im going tuesday to get my old plan back sense they are closed tomorrow. thanks for looking into the modem to see that its bad appreciate it .

EDIT I found this on there webside An approved DOCSIS 3.0 32 channel modem is required for GigaONE service, and is available for lease from Cable ONE or may be obtained from 3rd party retailers when available. If you have a home router, you should confirm it is capable of gigabit speeds.

1 hour ago, DAKOTADOCKALL said:

I had no idea it was a docsis 3.0 and i thought it has a broadcom chip from what BIF_DOG said. And i cant afford to spend 200 dollars on a modem right now and this is the only modem that have to lease for the gig plan. Im going tuesday to get my old plan back sense they are closed tomorrow. thanks for looking into the modem to see that its bad appreciate it .

EDIT I found this on there webside An approved DOCSIS 3.0 32 channel modem is required for GigaONE service, and is available for lease from Cable ONE or may be obtained from 3rd party retailers when available. If you have a home router, you should confirm it is capable of gigabit speeds.

No worries Dakota, I did read that prior to my last post.. The reason I mentioned the new DOCSIS 3.1 is because that type of network targets one of the main issues many cable type ISP struggled with in the old DOCSIS 3.0 and that was latency..  Specially when we are talking Gig plans.. And if your a gamer the number one thing we look for is low latency and stable connection.. Which the new DOCSIS 3.1 really helped with.. Not saying any 3.0 is horrible but something to think about.. Food for thought! If and when you decide to purchase a modem id recommend a modem that is both 3.0 and 3.1 compatible.. That way your covered either way and can run speeds of Gig without issue.. But you also have to make sure your ISP supports the said device..  In the mean time if money is a factor you could always purchase something like the Arris SB6183 which is a stand alone modem that is DOCSIS 3.0 and has the good chipset in it.. It has been tried and tested by many to be a very good modem.. And if your ISP allows this type you could buy one very reasonable and then you would at least get away from the combo unit you currently have. Hope what im saying helps a bit.. And again you are the first person ive come across that has a Gig plan that was still using the old DOCSIS 3.0..  I found that very interesting.. The SB6183 is just one that I would suggest.. There are others that are good as well but ive had first hand experience with the SB and was very pleased with it.. Im going to check and see what modems your ISP actually allow..

Zippy..

Edit:  After further looking your ISP does allow a wide range of good modems.. Even ones that are DOCSIS 3.1.. And after further looking I now see why your current 3.0 was labeled as Gig speeds.. Because it has the same number of bonded channels as a DODCSIS 3.1.. First one ive ever seen.. 

oh wow okay i just look and the sb6183 isn't supported im decided that im going to go back to the 300 plan i was using and just wait awhile till other options appear, My other modem that i know is amazing is the tp link 7610 that iAmMoDBoX told me to buy awhile ago but thanks again for all the looking you did its really a shame that the hitron is bad but hopefull;y somthing will change in the future with my isp.