Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Yeah that is pretty ridiculous. Do you think that Geo-Filter is just suddenly stopping working? Or does your ping in general get worse over time? If that's the case, could you tell me what your RAM and CPU usage are in System Information when you need to reset?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Netduma Alex said:

Yeah that is pretty ridiculous. Do you think that Geo-Filter is just suddenly stopping working? Or does your ping in general get worse over time? If that's the case, could you tell me what your RAM and CPU usage are in System Information when you need to reset?

I have turned the geo filter off. I will see if it changes. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So since NetDuma is claiming this is an issue with NetGear on not being able to provide updates or informing the community on updates to product software/firmware timelines.  Can NetDuma please add someone from NetGear to this thread and have NetGear update the community as to where and when the XR's are going to be receiving some updates.  NetDuma please tell me you had to have some type of agreement from NetGear on acceptable timelines for software/firmware updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jlpotter76 said:

So since NetDuma is claiming this is an issue with NetGear on not being able to provide updates or informing the community on updates to product software/firmware timelines.  Can NetDuma please add someone from NetGear to this thread and have NetGear update the community as to where and when the XR's are going to be receiving some updates.  NetDuma please tell me you had to have some type of agreement from NetGear on acceptable timelines for software/firmware updates.

There are a few Netgear staff on the forum but I'm unsure how often they check the forum and they do not post very often here or on their community forum. I'm unsure on those specifics of the contract but as far as I am aware Netgear decide when to release firmware. We do advise them on when particular updates should go out but ultimately it is their decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 2:06 PM, Mikzxr said:

I have turned the geo filter off. I will see if it changes. Thanks

It has gotten worse. I will turn the ping assist back on. Should I pair it with the geo filter too? Xboxonex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BugsAndGlitches- said:

@Mikzxr what are your duma settings that you can melt enemies?

Another router maybe ;) Ive gone back to my R7800 USING Voxels latest firmware and tbh I cant feel a difference in gaming, if anything the R7800 is better as of now its way less buggy and doesn't get confused using QoS not having DumaOS 's horrible DPI engine that that randomly thinks any of my devices are using high priority traffic, like say Netflix, when its not! (set to detect high priority traffic only) even turning off QoS completely and antibufferbloat, and Duma classified games wont stop stops that bug. Life is good with set and forget again. Sometimes less is more it seems. Lets hope this new update whenever its fixed and released helps, if its still a mess after its release I'm selling the XR500 and moving on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Another router help ;) Ive goine back to my R7800 USING Voxels latest firmware and tbh I cant feel a difference in gaming, if anything the R7800 is better as of now its way less buggy and doesn't get confused using QoS or have the DumaOS 's horrible DPI that thoughs hissy fits and thinks any of my devices is using high priority traffic, like say Netflix! when its not (set to detect high priority traffic only) even turning off QoS, and Duma classified games wont stop stops that bug. Life good at feels set and ignore again. Sometimes less is more it seems. Lets hope this new update whenever it fixed and released helps, if its still a mess after its release I'm selling the XR500 and moving on.

Yeah that high priority traffic is buggy for me as well what about flashing the XR500 with DD-WRT instead of selling it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tripper said:

Yeah that high priority traffic is buggy for me as well what about flashing the XR500 with DD-WRT instead of selling it?

 

I have a R7800, a RAX12 beta and a few other routers, I would rather use R7800 with Voxels firmware. Its the same router, but has better WAN/LANspeeds and better 5Ghz thoughput, (XR500 has silly aerial design that lost a few db). Also Voxels uses the latest drivers from Netgear (DD-WRT does not always have that) but he updates the packages. I can't see the point in having two almost identical routers tbh, I know the XR500 has an extra 128mb flash but they don't even appear to be using that.  Also as I said oddly the R7800 outperforms the XR500 with Wan to Lan throughput, and better Wi-Fi over both 2.4 and 5Ghz. May as well make some money, but I would like the router to work as intended, but I really cant forgive the lack of IPv6 either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 6:39 PM, Netduma Alex said:

You could try combining them.

Nope, can't even connect to the apex servers now. Is there a trick for Xbox in Australia?! It appears to need an authentication server in the USA or Europe. It just keep throwing up error, unable to connect with the geofilter and ping assist on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mikzxr said:

Nope, can't even connect to the apex servers now. Is there a trick for Xbox in Australia?! It appears to need an authentication server in the USA or Europe. It just keep throwing up error, unable to connect with the geofilter and ping assist on. 

Is there something being blocked on the map when when that happens? If so can you provide a screenshot / ID of the server?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is there something being blocked on the map when when that happens? If so can you provide a screenshot / ID of the server?

Yep, I will try and take a screen shot later. A bunch of triangles with exclamation points popped up on the world map. None in Australia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mikzxr said:

Yep, I will try and take a screen shot later. A bunch of triangles with exclamation points popped up on the world map. None in Australia

So this is about firmware updates ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 5:27 AM, Killhippie said:

I have a R7800, a RAX12 beta and a few other routers, I would rather use R7800 with Voxels firmware. Its the same router, but has better WAN/LANspeeds and better 5Ghz thoughput, (XR500 has silly aerial design that lost a few db). Also Voxels uses the latest drivers from Netgear (DD-WRT does not always have that) but he updates the packages. I can't see the point in having two almost identical routers tbh, I know the XR500 has an extra 128mb flash but they don't even appear to be using that.  Also as I said oddly the R7800 outperforms the XR500 with Wan to Lan throughput, and better Wi-Fi over both 2.4 and 5Ghz. May as well make some money, but I would like the router to work as intended, but I really cant forgive the lack of IPv6 either.

The lack of IPv6 doesn't sit well with me either. Id be more proactive on this then the current thought process. Full IPV6 will be way better.. No tunneling type either IPV4/IPV6. 

Zippy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we are now getting close to the end of another month and no firmware updates. Im also getting close to my end of warranty now. That means since I purchased this router ive had one firmware update in almost one full year! That's right! That means one firmware update and zero patches or fixes along the way! zero nada! This really is beyond thinkable.. This next firmware update better be damn perfect! If we don't get support with the next drop im done and selling this as well. I will give this a chance but very little wiggle room.. I cant even wrap my head around this to believe there has been zero patches to known issues for so long. But I guess they did say the Titanic was unsinkable and that it was one big lifeboat herself! Well we all know how that turned out!

Zippy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zippy said:

Well we are now getting close to the end of another month and no firmware updates. Im also getting close to my end of warranty now. That means since I purchased this router ive had one firmware update in almost one full year! That's right! That means one firmware update and zero patches or fixes along the way! zero nada! This really is beyond thinkable.. This next firmware update better be damn perfect! If we don't get support with the next drop im done and selling this as well. I will give this a chance but very little wiggle room.. I cant even wrap my head around this to believe there has been zero patches to known issues for so long. But I guess they did say the Titanic was unsinkable and that it was one big lifeboat herself! Well we all know how that turned out!

Zippy.

I hear you, I am also done with Netgear after this. What other options are there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 6:20 AM, Mikzxr said:

Yep, I will try and take a screen shot later. A bunch of triangles with exclamation points popped up on the world map. None in Australia

Okay thanks, would also be better to make a new topic for this as it's unrelated to this topic.

13 hours ago, Zippy said:

Well we are now getting close to the end of another month and no firmware updates. Im also getting close to my end of warranty now. That means since I purchased this router ive had one firmware update in almost one full year! That's right! That means one firmware update and zero patches or fixes along the way! zero nada! This really is beyond thinkable.. This next firmware update better be damn perfect! If we don't get support with the next drop im done and selling this as well. I will give this a chance but very little wiggle room.. I cant even wrap my head around this to believe there has been zero patches to known issues for so long. But I guess they did say the Titanic was unsinkable and that it was one big lifeboat herself! Well we all know how that turned out!

Zippy.

If you're getting close to your warranty then unless I am mistaken means there was an update just before you bought, just after and then two more after that being the .40 and the hotfix. I realise you're frustrated but it's been about a year and a half since launch and there have been 8 firmware versions in that time which on average is a new version less than every 3 months (I know thats not the case always but that is what it averages to). I realise it has been a little time since the last firmware update (if you're discounting the hotfix version) but if you look at that average and then the plans for the router it certainly hasn't been forgotten about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay thanks, would also be better to make a new topic for this as it's unrelated to this topic.

If you're getting close to your warranty then unless I am mistaken means there was an update just before you bought, just after and then two more after that being the .40 and the hotfix. I realise you're frustrated but it's been about a year and a half since launch and there have been 8 firmware versions in that time which on average is a new version less than every 3 months (I know thats not the case always but that is what it averages to). I realise it has been a little time since the last firmware update (if you're discounting the hotfix version) but if you look at that average and then the plans for the router it certainly hasn't been forgotten about.

Last update from Netgear 18th December 2018 Fraser, thats taking the proverbial p*ss as I see it. Sorry I cant see the XR router range as viable at this point, especially as the R7800 (same SoC) received a beta security update last month and the XR500 has not. I find that concerning as what effect's the R7800 effects the XR500 as they are the same hardware CPU and switch wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im sorry but i agree with Killhippie stop taking the proverbial p*ss 

The XR range has been a Hindrance since day one most of the features that where advertised where broken and they still are

We all believed you guys when you told us you where going to fix it and thats why people have waited all this time and now we are all out of warranty 

If you guys cant offer the said fixes by a due date you should honour that you have sold a duff product and offer everyone a refund

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that would be up to NETGEAR, we just provide DumaOS. Releasing updates is also up to NETGEAR. I'm well aware by this point that people aren't happy with the slow updates but there's not much that Netduma can do about it. Big updates from our end are on the way for all DumaOS products, but for specifics on security and bug fix updates, you'd have to ask NETGEAR...

That said I know that some XR500 firmware is in final testing at the moment so I don't imagine it will be very long until it's out. I don't actually know when though, nor can I make any promises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Netduma Alex said:

Well that would be up to NETGEAR, we just provide DumaOS. Releasing updates is also up to NETGEAR. I'm well aware by this point that people aren't happy with the slow updates but there's not much that Netduma can do about it. Big updates from our end are on the way for all DumaOS products, but for specifics on security and bug fix updates, you'd have to ask NETGEAR...

That said I know that some XR500 firmware is in final testing at the moment so I don't imagine it will be very long until it's out. I don't actually know when though, nor can I make any promises.

I cant say much here but I hope they have polished that firmware a lot! If its beta [email protected] then updating to full turd isn't what's needed. Also Netduma promised so many tweaks like more icons for QoS, that was in March 2018 and it still never happened. Netuma have just as much blame here as Netgear. Netduma promised so much and it was all viable, then we find out it wont happen, and then later down the line features get removed (Mac filtering) and then IPv6 does not work because Netduma didn't think a global lack of IPv4 addresses would be a issue!  Same as PPPoE, oh yes that's touted as an issue on the users end but the fact its pretty much the most common connection on VDSL2 in the UK seems to have flown under Netduma's radar. All of these things should have been fully baked into DumaOS before it was ever released in my view. The hardware already supported them in the form of  R7800 which is what the XR500 is just with new body work and with 128MB more Flash NAND and that was down to Netgear. I really dislike being so negative but as the months go buy its hard to be positive. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly dont know why Netgear keeps getting brought up..........No one has a problem with the router hardware...........the problem is DumaOS!!! 

Every single person complaining has been complaining about an issue which is DumaOS related. 

Netgear wont release jack sh.t as their hardware isnt giving any problems. 

Fix DumaOS and stop lying, everyone has and can see through the bull ish!!! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GHOST-1-EC said:

I honestly dont know why Netgear keeps getting brought up..........No one has a problem with the router hardware...........the problem is DumaOS!!! 

Every single person complaining has been complaining about an issue which is DumaOS related. 

Netgear wont release jack sh.t as their hardware isnt giving any problems. 

Fix DumaOS and stop lying, everyone has and can see through the bull ish!!! 

Well despite the fact that everything in the interface is labelled DumaOS, there's actually many elements that we aren't in control of. Some problems that occur in DumaOS features are caused by problems in the NETGEAR elements of the software. It's not as clean as "we make the software, they make the hardware".

I always choose my words very carefully in these kind of topics because there's really not much I can say, BUT i'm certainly not lying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well u are certainly not saying anything that holds firm and or that can be deemed truthful

 

The people buying into the hype, like myself, expected to receive what we paid for

"A gaming router which Dominates Lag" and and and and.........unfortunately thats clearly not the case (and dont get caught on the lag, the issues are endless) we only but receive weak explanations which my 4yr old son can see through. 

I dont even see the situation as you not knowing what the issues are....... you know very well and could legit care less as your halfway across the globe from majority of the users who own these routers and it doesnt affect you. 

From a hardware standpoint the 'Netgear' XR500 delivers what it says it would, so Netgear has delivered on their end. 

The same cannot be said about "DumaOS" and thats a fact!!!!

Just fix the software issues and you will have less to almost no complaints. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...