Xr500 firmware updates

Honestly, I don't know what may be the case with all the commotion about xr500, but then again, I haven't purchased one myself as I enjoy Netduma owned products. Also, Netgear has always been reliable, given a few faulty products here and there, but this comes with the territory with technology more so hardware. As all products are not 100% created equal as you will see a slight variation even if it was done on an assembly line of production. You're going to have a few in the batch that may have some problems, but can that refund or exchange is always available to those. As I've read some people have had a few problems with even the WiFi not working correctly on the XR500 and exchanging it for another and all work perfectly fine. Sometimes it can just be narrowed down to faulty hardware and needing replacement, sometimes. SI can understand the frustration of those buying a product and not working 100% out of the box. Hopefully, all can be taken care of and you all can enjoy the collabo of Netduma and Netgear, as a few others have been enjoying.

- Tray

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
4 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Can I get a link to the trial firmware that is being discussed in this forum...https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-drops-internet/td-p/1562692/page/35

Thanks.

I will PM it to you now. 

Before asking for the link, I'd like to know what are the features of that trial firmware so at least I would know what to test/look for/expect when deploying it onto my XR500.

Is there such a list somewhere ? 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, jdmefsir said:

what is this new trial firmware? Anything we can all try?

Will PM it to you - it just contains a hotfix so it's the same as .40, but with an adjustment that might stop those small % of people having dropouts. 

10 hours ago, vonskie said:

PM it to me as well

OK, will send it now

3 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Id put my XR500 back up if this sorted some of the present issues out, any chance of a link too please?

OK, will send it now

2 hours ago, Fuzy said:

Link please ! 

OK, will send it now

2 hours ago, sharpz44 said:

Looks like a few of us want a link to it...Yes please me to...

OK, will send it now

1 hour ago, TheFx1 said:

Before asking for the link, I'd like to know what are the features of that trial firmware so at least I would know what to test/look for/expect when deploying it onto my XR500.

Is there such a list somewhere ? 

It just contains a hotfix so it's the same as .40, but with an adjustment that might stop those small % of people having dropouts. 

• 1 month later...

It is crazy to think that the last time I posted about a Firmware upgrade was in April and here it is now going in mid June and still no talk about updates or anything.  Can we please for the love of God get some type of commitment to the the community that has invested into not only the product but the company.  We deserve at least that.  You mention you will not mention dates, well I think that is a way for you all not to commit to anything.  I am only speaking to what I have experienced about the product and NetDuma as a Company.  Please prove me wrong.

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, jlpotter76 said:

It is crazy to think that the last time I posted about a Firmware upgrade was in April and here it is now going in mid June and still no talk about updates or anything.  Can we please for the love of God get some type of commitment to the the community that has invested into not only the product but the company.  We deserve at least that.  You mention you will not mention dates, well I think that is a way for you all not to commit to anything.  I am only speaking to what I have experienced about the product and NetDuma as a Company.  Please prove me wrong.

Netgear control the frequency of the firmware updates, in that regard we cannot do anything about it. Updates will come, I understand it's not as regularly as everyone would like but they will come.

48 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Netgear control the frequency of the firmware updates, in that regard we cannot do anything about it. Updates will come, I understand it's not as regularly as everyone would like but they will come.

So is the game we are going to play now passing the buck?  Are you saying you all have submitted a build to Netgear? If you want to play that game.  Put out beta links until Netgear drops the Production build.

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, jlpotter76 said:

So is the game we are going to play now passing the buck?  Are you saying you all have submitted a build to Netgear? If you want to play that game.  Put out beta links until Netgear drops the Production build.

I am simply stating the facts, Netgear control any beta builds/firmware as it is their hardware, we provide the DumaOS level software, they also have their settings etc that they also work on which extends the time it takes for a firmware to go out. It's not simply a case of us giving them a build and then it gets released.

Guest Killhippie
11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I am simply stating the facts, Netgear control any beta builds/firmware as it is their hardware, we provide the DumaOS level software, they also have their settings etc that they also work on which extends the time it takes for a firmware to go out. It's not simply a case of us giving them a build and then it gets released.

It should not take six months tbh. Netgear has a fairly standard quarterly update procedure, but are ramping up I would imagine the AX routers for you to add DumaOS to even though the final draft has not been released yet. I have to say despite reassurances the XR range feels dead at this time along with many other Netgear routers, like the R7800, built off the same hardware. I really hope to be proven wrong and we will all get updates soon but considering how many bugs exist in milestone 1.3 that need patching the lack of updates since December 2018 is alarming. Also I am sure as partners with Netgear you know what's going on,  but I'm guessing you cant say as I'm sure you have your own contractual NDA of sorts. None of this helps  the current lack of fixes of course. All of this is pushing me to look now at other products from Netgear or Asus or maybe Ubiquiti that actually get patched and have a lifespan and support standard network protocols like IPv6 and don't have a QoS that feels like it doesn't know which device is which at times.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, I know you guys work very hard, but the silence on this forum is deafening at this time regarding the XR range of routers. This is  not a feeling I find myself at all comfortable with going forwards, when continued patching of bugs and security is really important. Milestone 1.3 was released in December 2018 for the XR500 and not one fix for issues that have brought up over and over again has appeared, apart for a hotfix for 11k Wi-Fi roaming from Netgear. It really feels like these routers are dead in the water or have been put of the back burner while Netgears next batch of Wi-Fi 6 routers, which have hardly any clients are not based on a final draft and offer no benefits to a Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) network are worked on. :(

52 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

It should not take six months tbh. Netgear has a fairly standard quarterly update procedure, but are ramping up I would imagine the AX routers for you to add DumaOS to even though the final draft has not been released yet. I have to say despite reassurances the XR range feels dead at this time along with many other Netgear routers, like the R7800, built off the same hardware. I really hope to be proven wrong and we will all get updates soon but considering how many bugs exist in milestone 1.3 that need patching the lack of updates since December 2018 is alarming. Also I am sure as partners with Netgear you know what's going on,  but I'm guessing you cant say as I'm sure you have your own contractual NDA of sorts. None of this helps  the current lack of fixes of course. All of this is pushing me to look now at other products from Netgear or Asus or maybe Ubiquiti that actually get patched and have a lifespan and support standard network protocols like IPv6 and don't have a QoS that feels like it doesn't know which device is which at times.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, I know you guys work very hard, but the silence on this forum is deafening at this time regarding the XR range of routers. This is  not a feeling I find myself at all comfortable with going forwards, when continued patching of bugs and security is really important. Milestone 1.3 was released in December 2018 for the XR500 and not one fix for issues that have brought up over and over again has appeared, apart for a hotfix for 11k Wi-Fi roaming from Netgear. It really feels like these routers are dead in the water or have been put of the back burner while Netgears next batch of Wi-Fi 6 routers, which have hardly any clients are not based on a final draft and offer no benefits to a Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) network are worked on. :(

I agree, when I was about to purchase the XR500 on it`s release I was using Asus Rog rapture GT and was assured that updates and support for this product would be continous as it evolved, I kind of get the feeling ,like you say that this hardware is being left in the dark slightly over Netgears AX routers.I understand that Netgear control the firmware but maybe a hint of something coming may please. 

Just gives us the working software updates and the cloud updates to patch the problems people are experiencing all over the forum to make the router more usable and stable

and stop brushing over it and keep releasing your OS on new product lines creating more problems for all involved

I didn't buy into a Beta

Its time somebody brought a lawsuit against companies selling a promise that they don't deliver on fleecing customers out of hard earned cash

1 hour ago, Mement said:

Just gives us the working software updates and the cloud updates to patch the problems people are experiencing all over the forum to make the router more usable and stable

and stop brushing over it and keep releasing your OS on new product lines creating more problems for all involved

I didn't buy into a Beta

Its time somebody brought a lawsuit against companies selling a promise that they don't deliver on fleecing customers out of hard earned cash

I agree.  It seems that their road map with this router has hit a road block.

• Netduma Staff
On 6/8/2019 at 8:30 AM, Killhippie said:

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, I know you guys work very hard, but the silence on this forum is deafening at this time regarding the XR range of routers.

There's nothing we can say that would put you guys at ease - which is why we're going to give you guys actions rather than words. There haven't been updates for the XR series for a while, but that's actually a symptom of how much work is going into the XR routers - not a symptom of them getting neglected. There's a ridiculous amount of work ongoing with these routers, and we aren't about to stop. We're listening, and we're doing everything we can.

If you're doing everything you can it shouldn't take 6 months or more to release meaningful update/s. I'm sorry that's ridiculous, especially considering the cost of the router. It certainly wasn't free or heavily discounted and I didn't buy into some beta program where updates come whenever you guys or Netgear feels like releasing them. There are numerous documented issues with threads going back months on these forums. To me that dictates updates should be pushed every 2-3 months. Yet the same issues persist with no updates for months on end. Like most I purchased this router on the strength of the software on the R1 (despite the hardware failing twice).

But I didn't expect to encounter so many broken promises and features that don't work when you need them to when first coming to this forum. For example, it took over six months to get open VPN support (something I expected out of the box) and even that still doesn't function properly. People have been asking for a beta program for months yet nothing official exists. I've posted and commented on how Allow/Deny still doesn't work properly only have my recent comments flatout ignored.  I can say with certainty will not be purchasing any future DumaOS and/or co-branded DumaOS/Netgear products. In this partnership you guys have clearly lost your way.  

1 hour ago, questvr3 said:

If you're doing everything you can it shouldn't take 6 months or more to release meaningful update/s. I'm sorry that's ridiculous, especially considering the cost of the router. It certainly wasn't free or heavily discounted and I didn't buy into some beta program where updates come whenever you guys or Netgear feels like releasing them. There are numerous documented issues with threads going back months on these forums. To me that dictates updates should be pushed every 2-3 months. Yet the same issues persist with no updates for months on end. Like most I purchased this router on the strength of the software on the R1 (despite the hardware failing twice).

But I didn't expect to encounter so many broken promises and features that don't work when you need them to when first coming to this forum. For example, it took over six months to get open VPN support (something I expected out of the box) and even that still doesn't function properly. People have been asking for a beta program for months yet nothing official exists. I've posted and commented on how Allow/Deny still doesn't work properly only have my recent comments flatout ignored.  I can say with certainty will not be purchasing any future DumaOS and/or co-branded DumaOS/Netgear products. In this partnership you guys have clearly lost your way.  

Looking at the blogs and the company info I think it’s a small team working away hard and I can understand the frustration that people have. Yes my 500 software maybe a bit buggy, bit like every game you purchase that needs patches but before I purchased the router I looked hard on the forums and took the chance that it will develop over time.  I’m a patient kind of guy, might not be perfect but I hope to soon see it improve. 

Again I do know  how frustrating it must be not to get fixes and ok the operating system needs some work but with a small team I’m guessing they are doing their best and they do try to help on the forums as much as possible. In fairness we need competition or else you are stuck with just a few products and let’s be fair it’s good to see something different that’s being worked on, hell Windows back in the old days was horrible, same with Mac but we knew it would get better and it has. Same with the net when BBS was the only thing, it’s improved over time. 

Again I understand that you want fixes and I’m sure they will come along but with a small company it might take longer and I hope you can stick with it and be part of what makes a difference as to be honest it’s users like yourself and others that draw attention to issues. 

Stay with it and watch it develop and just expect it might take longer but in the end we may have a great platform to enjoy our gaming on.

As Jack said, things are definitely being worked on. I find it very frustrating that I can't tell you lot about what's coming up, but i'm not allowed. When you work alongside a big company like NETGEAR, you need to be careful not to make promises you can't keep, and not to say when things are happening unless they're absolutely set in stone.

From the customer's point of view I can see why this is frustrating because it does seem from the outside like nothing's been happening, but that really couldn't be further from the truth. Rest assured your suggestions/complaints/bugs/banter are not being ignored. As Jack says, actions will in the end speak louder than words, and there's definitely going to be some action.

On 6/10/2019 at 9:05 AM, Newfie said:

Looking at the blogs and the company info I think it’s a small team working away hard and I can understand the frustration that people have. Yes my 500 software maybe a bit buggy, bit like every game you purchase that needs patches but before I purchased the router I looked hard on the forums and took the chance that it will develop over time.  I’m a patient kind of guy, might not be perfect but I hope to soon see it improve. 

Again I do know  how frustrating it must be not to get fixes and ok the operating system needs some work but with a small team I’m guessing they are doing their best and they do try to help on the forums as much as possible. In fairness we need competition or else you are stuck with just a few products and let’s be fair it’s good to see something different that’s being worked on, hell Windows back in the old days was horrible, same with Mac but we knew it would get better and it has. Same with the net when BBS was the only thing, it’s improved over time. 

Again I understand that you want fixes and I’m sure they will come along but with a small company it might take longer and I hope you can stick with it and be part of what makes a difference as to be honest it’s users like yourself and others that draw attention to issues. 

Stay with it and watch it develop and just expect it might take longer but in the end we may have a great platform to enjoy our gaming on.

Newfie its not that some don't think Netduma isnt trying there hardest.. They are and yes they are a very small team.. The problem lies with the fact that many are using this router as there main router for there home network.. One cant wait for months on end when there are some serious issues.. That is the problem.. This day and age one just cant wait 6+ months and have no firmware updates when you have issues like this.. Also most don't have spare routers laying around until things get sorted out with the XR500 or any XR router for that matter.. Now as far as being patient and being part of the Netduma army as it evolves over time. That is something that needs to be almost labeled on the box to let consumers know this router is still evolving and issues may take time to be sorted.. Because many that buy these may not want or be part of this evolving process..

One of the most problematic issues I find very troubling is the fact that we have DumaOS running on top of Netgears firmware. This means double the trouble and much harder to trouble shoot. We don't know if its NetdumaOS or Netgears firmware that is causing certain issues.. If we did we would have much more clearer responses to the issues at hand on the forum here.. The only way I see this working properly is either have Netduma take full control of the OS and have a clean Duma OS running on the router and not Netgears firmware underneath.. To me that is the only way moving forward..  Technically right now we shouldn't even be posting any Netgear issues here.. That should be done over on Netgears site because they are the ones in control of the hardware and firmware.. I have hope but very little. This is the perfect storm for issues..

Zippy.