r1 has issues

• Netduma Staff
On 3/29/2019 at 5:15 PM, mike said:

the top man at netduma spent many many hours trying to connect the r1 to the internet and replace my isp router as it stands the set up is r1 > isp router >bt fttc hub but as soon as the isp router is removed there is no internet.

i know the speeds are not reliable etc but i plug the ps4 into the isp router and i get 30mbs dl , then plug the ps4 into the r1 and i get 15mbs dl plug it back into the isp and its back upto 30mbs dl , it seems odd that i loose 15mbs just by swapping routers.

That's fair enough, it's a big drop but those results can't be trusted as you know. Just to clarify, does your laptop still have the 'invalid IP' issue or was that fixed when you unplugged the R1 for 10 minutes? Reading over this thread it's not clear why you want to run PS4 speed tests over accurate ones via your laptop or a desktop. It's not possible to ascertain whether this is truly an issue or not if the test environment isn't reliable.

As for your ISP router, it's not really worth trying to remove or replace it anyway - I'm not surprised we couldn't manage to do it through a 1 on 1.

after unplugging and resting the r1 all problems were sorted.

and as for the speed it puzzled me that i loose 15mbs just by swapping routers and no im not saying the ps4 speed test is the be all and end all , i just noticed the difference between the 2 routers not only on speed tests but performance aswell as in pictures/msgs over psn seem to load up quicker on my isp router and like i said i swapped them about a few times to rule out (or try to rule out) any false readings and each time on the r1 i loose 15mbs.

i know theres possibly something simple like a tick box or something just as retarded that i have missed but as you say its a big drop  not only in speed but in performance.

now i was told when i connect the ps4 i can just select auto for a lan net work again wether this needs to be tweeked ............

and for the sake of clarity i have to use powerlinks from the ps4 to the r1 due to the house being over 150 years old and  built over 4 stories and where bt said "this the where the socket must be" and i swapped out the powerlinks for a fresh set to try and rule out any problems with them and no i will not be calling bt to get the socket moved or another fone line added , it is what it is , and no that isnt your get out that the fone line/socket needs moving as when i moved onto fttc the pc speed test that bt did showed 30mbs.

and as i last posted ticking turbo and super turbo mode impacted on destiny 2 as i would enter a pvp lobby search for players launch into the game then get a black screen and be put back into the lobby and search for players again after nearly 10 mins of this i unticked  super turbo etc and i havnt had any problems since.

• Administrators

On your ISP router how is it setup to forward traffic to the router?

So with the powerline adapters you get full speed through the ISP router? 

I don't think super turbo mode would have any effect on getting a black screen. Most likely a server has been blocked at that point, have you looked at the Geo-Filter when that happens?

• 2 weeks later...

dont know how its set up to forwards traffic to the r1 , when my isp router died i got a new one and just plugged it in to the set up and it worked.

yes with the powerlines i get full speed through the isp router and as far as i remember using the r1 its always been 15mbs , i just thought it was down to the ps4 .

and the black screen lasts for about 2 secs as if the game has decided that my connection isnt good enough and it cant matchmake me with the lobby so i get a black screen and then returned back to match making , as soon as i undid everything i had done this problem went away.

sorry for the delay in posting iv been working and i forgot about this.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, mike said:

ont know how its set up to forwards traffic to the r1 , when my isp router died i got a new one and just plugged it in to the set up and it worked.

Is there an option for DMZ on your modem? You could try putting your R1 into your ISP router's DMZ

21 hours ago, mike said:

as soon as i undid everything i had done this problem went away.

What do you mean by 'undid everything' exactly - this should isolate the route cause

21 hours ago, mike said:

sorry for the delay in posting iv been working and i forgot about this.

No worries!