Ok Netduma!

Dmaune

All right guys just when I was losing faith that this router was just a good paperweight you completely redeem yourself!  It was brought to my attention last week that maybe I should try setting my Geofilter location out in the ocean.  I figured sure I'll try anything once.  Well I play D2 and the results were dramatic.  First match and every match since, hit reg is on point, enemies feel sticky, no ghost bullets, no being shot through walls, no more getting insta melted and the radar is accurate.  Here's a vid of The Recluse in action post new settings. 

I had to raise my ping assist to 80 instead of the suggested 40 because it wouldn't find anyone to play with.  Easiest setup in the world. 

I do have a couple questions though.

1. First of all, is there anything I can do to filter matchmaking when I'm not fireteam leader?  

2. Is it in my best interest to have my ping assist # set as low as I possibly can while still finding matches?  

3. Is it safe to assume that if I'm experiencing no lag with this setup, my fireteam members also benefit when it comes to lag?

hi.

1. I do not play D2 so cannot comment or suggest anything.

2. I have a base ping of 10ms if I use ping assist I set mine to 15.

3. Same as 1.  :)

It is all about what works for you, it is not 1 size fits all but hopefully you have found your sweet spot, happy gaming!

6 minutes ago, BIG__DOG said:

hi.

1. I do not play D2 so cannot comment or suggest anything.

2. I have a base ping of 10ms if I use ping assist I set mine to 15.

3. Same as 1.  :)

It is all about what works for you, it is not 1 size fits all but hopefully you have found your sweet spot, happy gaming!

Thanks for the reply.  Wish someone would have told me about the filter location a long time ago.

Is there someone familiar with destiny that can answer the above question? 

4 minutes ago, Dmaune said:

Thanks for the reply.  Wish someone would have told me about the filter location a long time ago.

1 of the members will reply if they play it but I am sure at some point someone from HQ will reply. 

• Netduma Staff
28 minutes ago, Dmaune said:

Hi Dmaune - I play D2 all the time so I'll pitch in.

1: If you aren't the fireteam leader, you can't influence the matchmaking process - period. We always recommend that the dude with the Geo-Filter should always be the host.

2: Not necessarily in Destiny. Set it too low and you could end up getting disconnected - it's a finicky game when it comes to matchmaking. Try 60ms rather than 80 and see how you go.

3: Absolutely, but only if they're close to you. If you had a party member in Australia and you were in the US, neither of you would have a particularly great time since the lag comp would be all over the place. If you're both relatively close, you'd benefit from getting on a low ping server - since it'd be low ping for both of you.

1 hour ago, Netduma Jack said:

Hi Dmaune - I play D2 all the time so I'll pitch in.

1: If you aren't the fireteam leader, you can't influence the matchmaking process - period. We always recommend that the dude with the Geo-Filter should always be the host.

2: Not necessarily in Destiny. Set it too low and you could end up getting disconnected - it's a finicky game when it comes to matchmaking. Try 60ms rather than 80 and see how you go.

3: Absolutely, but only if they're close to you. If you had a party member in Australia and you were in the US, neither of you would have a particularly great time since the lag comp would be all over the place. If you're both relatively close, you'd benefit from getting on a low ping server - since it'd be low ping for both of you.

Awesome thanks.  

On question number two, I originally started at 40 and kept moving it up by 10 until it started finding matches.  On 60 it just searched forever.  My base ping is fairly high so that's probably why.  

Will my experience be better on 80 as opposed to 100 as long as I'm still finding matches?  Basically is the lower number always better as long as i'm finding matches and not getting booted?

I did get booted mid match last night once.  I was killing it and got beaver error.  Not sure what happened. 

• Administrators

Yes it would be, the lower the ping the better! The booting is why we usually recommend strict mode to be disabled. If it happens again due to your setup of exclusively using ping assist I would perhaps raise ping assist a bit higher.

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes it would be, the lower the ping the better! The booting is why we usually recommend strict mode to be disabled. If it happens again due to your setup of exclusively using ping assist I would perhaps raise ping assist a bit higher.

Well that's not the case here.  I always run with strict mode off as was the case when I got booted last night.  Only happened once but I have no idea why.  

18 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Look at the Geo-Filter and see if anything is blocked. Could be a server incorrectly classed as a peer in which case it would be blocked. If there is nothing then might just have been the game.

If I were to guess I would just bet it was the game.  Only happened once out of at least 20 matches yesterday.  

Ok question time.  been messing around with the ping and if I go too low obviously I can't find a match.  Totally expected.  Then I decided to play some comp and two of my buddies joined my fireteam.  They are both in my allowed list.  So I go to search for a match expecting the wait time to be very long but instead, it found matches incredibly quick and they weren't lag free matches at all.  Is that because they, being in my allowed list, are making connections outside my geofilter parameters?  

would it help at all to deny them?

side note, when I had a full fireteam it didn't seem to matter how low I set the ping it would still find us matches fairly quickly.

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, Dmaune said:

Ok question time.  been messing around with the ping and if I go too low obviously I can't find a match.  Totally expected.  Then I decided to play some comp and two of my buddies joined my fireteam.  They are both in my allowed list.  So I go to search for a match expecting the wait time to be very long but instead, it found matches incredibly quick and they weren't lag free matches at all.  Is that because they, being in my allowed list, are making connections outside my geofilter parameters?  

side note, when I had a full fireteam it didn't seem to matter how low I set the ping it would still find us matches fairly quickly.

It's odd that it found a game quickly - was it inside your radius or are you just using Ping Assist? Playing with a fireteam is often more laggy depending on where your team members are located. Definitely don't deny them lol, you'll never be able to play with them then!

Fireteams basically screw the whole process. Back in D1 it worked flawlessly, regardless of if you had a fireteam from across the globe. For D2 they added this hybrid dedicated server and peer to peer matchmaking which screws it all up.

1 hour ago, Azlios said:

Fireteams basically screw the whole process. Back in D1 it worked flawlessly, regardless of if you had a fireteam from across the globe. For D2 they added this hybrid dedicated server and peer to peer matchmaking which screws it all up.

2 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

It's odd that it found a game quickly - was it inside your radius or are you just using Ping Assist? Playing with a fireteam is often more laggy depending on where your team members are located. Definitely don't deny them lol, you'll never be able to play with them then!

I'm just using ping assist.  I have the radius out in the pacific ocean.  It was finding us Comp matches in under 20 seconds.  At that point I knew it wasn't filtering anything.  

1 hour ago, Azlios said:

So basically in Destiny the only time the netduma helps is when I'm playing solo?  

28 minutes ago, Dmaune said:

So basically in Destiny the only time the netduma helps is when I'm playing solo?  

With the way both Destiny 2 and the Duma are working at the moment it's a bit difficult. I have had times where I have had people in my fireteam from america and it's done its job, but its more common for it to fill the lobby with people outside my radius. When I match it pops up with me connecting to a dedicated server for when everyone is connecting (When the ship begins to fly) and then whilst in flight I go back to peer to peer matchmaking for the game. So I think thats where the Duma gets tripped up.

58 minutes ago, Azlios said:

Ok netduma tech, is there anything that can be changed to make matchmaking while fireteam leader act like it does when you're playing solo?

• Administrators

When you're playing with others, do you ever see a server on your map, whether inside or outside the radius? If not I suspect its using them to bridge a connection to a server outside your restrictions, in which case there's nothing the router can do about that unless everyone had the router.

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

When you're playing with others, do you ever see a server on your map, whether inside or outside the radius? If not I suspect its using them to bridge a connection to a server outside your restrictions, in which case there's nothing the router can do about that unless everyone had the router.

I always have my radius set to somewhere in the pacific ocean so yeah, everything is outside my radius. 

going by what you're saying, it's like I suspected.  It's using my fireteam members to bypass the Geofilter?

• Netduma Staff

I always have my radius set to somewhere in the pacific ocean so yeah, everything is outside my radius. 

going by what you're saying, it's like I suspected.  It's using my fireteam members to bypass the Geofilter?

Looking at this it might well be the case. You know what though, there's probably something we can do to stop it from happening. We've been working hard on coming up with new solutions for Apex Legends, maybe we can do the same for D2. I'll make sure the devs are aware of this.

13 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

Looking at this it might well be the case. You know what though, there's probably something we can do to stop it from happening. We've been working hard on coming up with new solutions for Apex Legends, maybe we can do the same for D2. I'll make sure the devs are aware of this.

Great to know you guys are on it!

Noticed something last night that you all might already be aware of.  I was playing in a fireteam but wasn't the fireteam leader so I had it in spectating mode.  Then I was made leader and put it in filtering mode.  It did nothing.  Didn't filter a bit.  So I had everyone leave the fireteam then join back up.  Then it started to filter.  Results weren't as good as when I'm solo but it was definitely filtering out some bad connections.  Long story short, the geofilter does not work when you'r simply promoted to leader in game it seems they must join on you.  

Anyway, thought that might be some good info

• 3 weeks later...

So does anyone know if Destiny changed there matchmaking?  I haven't changed my settings one little bit.  Still have the filter location in the ocean, strict mode OFF.  I can tell it's still filtering out bad connections because I see them blocked all over the map but when I find a match, it's very laggy.  All the stickyness and terrific aim I was experiencing with these settings is seemingly gone and I feel like I'm back at square 1.