WiFi getting worse? Does the new OS change anything?

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay very strange, does a reboot or factory reset fix it?

I will try and check again tonight as it's been u plugged for a few days but I tried to do a factory reset when the message first came up. That's how I lost my Internet connection and had to use my ISP router because I couldn't put the details back in. 

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Corbula said:

I will try and check again tonight as it's been u plugged for a few days but I tried to do a factory reset when the message first came up. That's how I lost my Internet connection and had to use my ISP router because I couldn't put the details back in. 

Why weren't you able to put the details back in? Just because of that error? So it occurred on all pages? Let us know how you get on.

14 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Why weren't you able to put the details back in? Just because of that error? So it occurred on all pages? Let us know how you get on.

It was because it comes up on the settings page and fails to load the left side of that page. The right side loads so I could type in the details but an error comes up when I click on save. I will look again tonight and get some more screen shots for you. 

Ok, I've just tried the R1 again and getting the same error. I did a factory reset and took a screenshot of what happens when I click on 'Network settings'. The left half never load and I think some options are missing from the right half too. When I click on 'Network' to enter my ISP connection details and then click save the same error comes up.

I've also attached a log file after doing a factory reset and going on to the 'Network Settings' page in case that shows anything as to what's going on.

I hope this helps us solve the issue. If I can provide anything more please let me know.image.thumb.png.8192e16a59ab082f5817e1c4bbbdbaef.png

• Administrators

Could you downgrade back to the original R1 firmware please. http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000085792-downgrading-back-to-the-original-r1-firmware-from-dumaos

Then reinstall DumaOS again. Should be ok after that. (see the email for instructions and download link)

On 4/15/2019 at 2:34 PM, Netduma Admin said:

Could you downgrade back to the original R1 firmware please. http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000085792-downgrading-back-to-the-original-r1-firmware-from-dumaos

Then reinstall DumaOS again. Should be ok after that. (see the email for instructions and download link)

Thank you, that seems to have solved it but with slower speeds. On my wired PC I'm only getting 50mbps instead of the normal 70mbps (only 15mbbps on wifi :( ). Are there any settings to change after a factory reset to improve this, specifically the wired speeds? This is on DumaOS.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Corbula said:

Thank you, that seems to have solved it but with slower speeds. On my wired PC I'm only getting 50mbps instead of the normal 70mbps (only 15mbbps on wifi :( ). Are there any settings to change after a factory reset to improve this, specifically the wired speeds? This is on DumaOS.

Disable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloat options, are your speeds faster then?

22 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Disable QoS in Anti-Bufferbloat options, are your speeds faster then?

Slightly, added about 5mbps. Is there anything else? Maybe my internet is just worse than it use to be. I will try and test with a different router and see what that's like.

On 4/21/2019 at 11:30 AM, Netduma Admin said:

When you do a Speedtest, is your router's CPU maxed out (go to System Information to see this)?

Sorry its taken me a while to reply. 

Yes it does, it goes up to 100 but it doesn't on the upload test, it went up to 91.

I assume with you asking this it's not meant to do that? 

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Corbula said:

Sorry its taken me a while to reply. 

Yes it does, it goes up to 100 but it doesn't on the upload test, it went up to 91.

I assume with you asking this it's not meant to do that? 

It's not so much 'it's not meant to' - i.e there's no fundamental problem, it's just that the hardware you have is getting old so it's not as fast as it used to be. Which means the CPU is maxing out when full traffic is going through it at around 50mbps - 70mbps.

How long have you owned the router? And how many devices are connected to it?

1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

It's not so much 'it's not meant to' - i.e there's no fundamental problem, it's just that the hardware you have is getting old so it's not as fast as it used to be. Which means the CPU is maxing out when full traffic is going through it at around 50mbps - 70mbps.

How long have you owned the router? And how many devices are connected to it?

I didn't think router hardware got slower as it got older. I've had it since November 2015, early adopter edition. 

Total I have 15 wireless and 3 wired, but most of the wireless are phone and devices that are hardly or never used, just connected at one time so they're still on device manager. What are used is probably the 3 wired and 9 wireless devices. The speed doesn't change when nothing is being used though. 

• Administrators
On 4/27/2019 at 1:35 PM, Corbula said:

I didn't think router hardware got slower as it got older. I've had it since November 2015, early adopter edition. 

Total I have 15 wireless and 3 wired, but most of the wireless are phone and devices that are hardly or never used, just connected at one time so they're still on device manager. What are used is probably the 3 wired and 9 wireless devices. The speed doesn't change when nothing is being used though. 

Ok, there's probably little more we can suggest our side, unless you wanted to downgrade to pre-DumaOS firmware as this is less CPU intensive, although you said this was similarly low speeds right?

i am having similar issues the router works great except after about a week or so the wifi drops out completely and i have to go to my desktop and go into the R1 settings and do a restart and then the WiFi works great again for about another week i have the equipment to test channel strength but nothing helps ... it did improve when i upgraded to the new os but before that the WiFi was dropping like every 2 days..  it is mounted on the wall away from everything and when the WiFi drops my desktop which is using a cat6 still works perfectly...? any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated :) 

p.s. i was wondering if the r1 only having a 2.5ghz bandwidth could be the issue .. and if so would it hurt any of my speeds if i plugged a secondary router in just for the wifi?

i am an early adopter of the netduma and have had it for many years and will not change its a great piece of hardware and software <3

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, bernhard said:

i am having similar issues the router works great except after about a week or so the wifi drops out completely and i have to go to my desktop and go into the R1 settings and do a restart and then the WiFi works great again for about another week i have the equipment to test channel strength but nothing helps ... it did improve when i upgraded to the new os but before that the WiFi was dropping like every 2 days..  it is mounted on the wall away from everything and when the WiFi drops my desktop which is using a cat6 still works perfectly...? any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated :) 

p.s. i was wondering if the r1 only having a 2.5ghz bandwidth could be the issue .. and if so would it hurt any of my speeds if i plugged a secondary router in just for the wifi?

i am an early adopter of the netduma and have had it for many years and will not change its a great piece of hardware and software ❤️

Thanks for the nice words :)

How long has this been happening? It sounds like it might be ageing hardware unfortunately. Is it just the WiFI dropping out? Easiest way to tell this is if the WiFi drops, can you still get on the Internet via a wired connection?

It might be worth changing the WiFi channel to see if there's any improvement. 

i have been playing around with different channels i leave it go for about a week or so on each channel to test them but i was also curious as to how to get the 5ghz option i see in  a youtube video from techflow..? mine only has the 2.4 option?   this issue has been happening for about a year or so.. i have been slowly playing with options to see if theres any improvement but i was also wondering if the cpu gets hot enough maybe that could cause it..? and yeah i have loved the router it has always worked great and even when the wifi drops the speeds are still great for the ethernet devices i was just wondering if maybe because i am using the 2.4 wifi and not the 5.0 that maybe the newer devices i have on wifi dont like the slower 2.4ghz..? i dont have the option for the 5.0 and would like to try it to see if it would help..

aslo i have the newer dumaOS so maybe im just missing the section to change the range from 2.4 to 5.0..?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, bernhard said:

i have been playing around with different channels i leave it go for about a week or so on each channel to test them but i was also curious as to how to get the 5ghz option i see in  a youtube video from techflow..? mine only has the 2.4 option?   this issue has been happening for about a year or so.. i have been slowly playing with options to see if theres any improvement but i was also wondering if the cpu gets hot enough maybe that could cause it..? and yeah i have loved the router it has always worked great and even when the wifi drops the speeds are still great for the ethernet devices i was just wondering if maybe because i am using the 2.4 wifi and not the 5.0 that maybe the newer devices i have on wifi dont like the slower 2.4ghz..? i dont have the option for the 5.0 and would like to try it to see if it would help..

aslo i have the newer dumaOS so maybe im just missing the section to change the range from 2.4 to 5.0..?

The 5GHz WiFi band is on newer routers, such as the Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 that TechFlow reviewed, so you would need to buy one of these to get the 5GHz band.

That probably isn't the reason for the drop outs though. Do you know if it's just the WiFi dropping out, or the whole router?

2 hours ago, bernhard said:

do you think there could be an option to just restart the wifi and not the whole router..? just wondering.. ❤️

I don't think this will be possible unfortunately, but than you for the suggestion :)

On 4/29/2019 at 12:00 PM, Netduma Admin said:

Ok, there's probably little more we can suggest our side, unless you wanted to downgrade to pre-DumaOS firmware as this is less CPU intensive, although you said this was similarly low speeds right?

Right so I've just done some more testing. I did a wired speed test on DumaOS and got 55mbps download as the CPU maxes out at 100. I've gone back to the old firmware and on the same server got 68mbps (I assume it's down to the CPU like you said but I can't monitor that on the old firmware). Wireless is the same on both unfortunately but again it dropped this morning for a few minutes before coming back. When it did come back though it was very slow and was getting jitter of 800+ms and upload speeds of less than 3mbps (instead of the normal 15mbps). A restarted sorted it.

So it seems there is nothing else to do, as good as the new DumaOS looks it just doesn't work right on my R1. There's nothing turned on by default that I could turn off that would help is there? So I will stick to the original firmware and look at getting either a router or access point just for the wifi and get some devices on 5Ghz. I hope that will work better. On the original firmware is it simply a case of disabling wifi for this to work? Can it connect to any port on the R1?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Corbula said:

Right so I've just done some more testing. I did a wired speed test on DumaOS and got 55mbps download as the CPU maxes out at 100. I've gone back to the old firmware and on the same server got 68mbps (I assume it's down to the CPU like you said but I can't monitor that on the old firmware). Wireless is the same on both unfortunately but again it dropped this morning for a few minutes before coming back. When it did come back though it was very slow and was getting jitter of 800+ms and upload speeds of less than 3mbps (instead of the normal 15mbps). A restarted sorted it.

So it seems there is nothing else to do, as good as the new DumaOS looks it just doesn't work right on my R1. There's nothing turned on by default that I could turn off that would help is there? So I will stick to the original firmware and look at getting either a router or access point just for the wifi and get some devices on 5Ghz. I hope that will work better. On the original firmware is it simply a case of disabling wifi for this to work? Can it connect to any port on the R1?

The only other options I could think of to make sure are disabled is IPv6. Do you use PPPoE at all? Not sure if we've mentioned that in the past.

Yes if you're going to use a different router for WiFi then disable the WiFi on the R1.

11 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The only other options I could think of to make sure are disabled is IPv6. Do you use PPPoE at all? Not sure if we've mentioned that in the past.

Yes if you're going to use a different router for WiFi then disable the WiFi on the R1.

Yes IPv6 is disabled. I have it setup as Openreach modem > r1 > then the wires devices. 

Is that all that is required, just disable WiFi for it to work? Then all devices will show up that are connected to the access point?

On 5/4/2019 at 2:35 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Okay I don't have any other suggestions then unfortunately. Yes that's it, devices connected to the AP will appear as individual devices on the R1

I will keep using the original firmware as it seems to work better with my R1. Will DumaOS get more efficient in time in terms of CPU usage?

3 hours ago, Corbula said:

I will keep using the original firmware as it seems to work better with my R1. Will DumaOS get more efficient in time in terms of CPU usage?

We have no plans for this as it is already heavily optimised.