Qos is not working for me on the downloading side. how do I fix this?

7 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Have you followed this guide to get QoS setup optimally? http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos

Do you have IPv6 enabled? Or PPPoE (these two can sometimes reduce the effects of our QoS)?

the router is pretty much default only thing different is the sliders. ip6 is disabled, and no pppoE. 

21 hours ago, fpsabe said:

ehhh,  xr500 qos must not work well for my network, cause my nighthawk r7000 with dd-wrt is getting way better results on ping plotter. I had to test it since the modem is in bridge mode, and qos is working much better on the r7000. so i'm probably going to stick with the r7000 for at the moment. When I have twitch on my computer,  I'm getting a max of +10ms of extra ping on black ops 4 with the r7000, with the xr500 I was getting max +50.

Hey fpsabe, I also noticed that my ASUS with Merlin firmware does away better job at buffer bloat also then my XR500.. Ive switched back and forth and still cant get a good ping plotter result with my XR500..  In fact im not sure if QoS even is working on my XR500.. I may need to do a reboot and dig into this a little more.. Something tells me it has stalled out and has become nonfunctional..  I will dig into this more and let you know if I come up with anything..

Zippy..

13 hours ago, Zippy said:

Hey fpsabe, I also noticed that my ASUS with Merlin firmware does away better job at buffer bloat also then my XR500.. Ive switched back and forth and still cant get a good ping plotter result with my XR500..  In fact im not sure if QoS even is working on my XR500.. I may need to do a reboot and dig into this a little more.. Something tells me it has stalled out and has become nonfunctional..  I will dig into this more and let you know if I come up with anything..

Zippy..

I am still using rj59 coaxial cable for internet, is this possible that could cause this? 

13 hours ago, Zippy said:

Zippy..

I was just curious but I plugged my devices through the modem and I am getting the same results on pingplotter when I watch twitch, or upload a video when I had a router with qos on.... So pretty sure nothing wrong with the router at all, just something screwing up, like the modem,  or isp thing. I don't know.  

14 hours ago, Zippy said:

Zippy..

just talked to my isp and said that the modem should not be effecting my routers performance. sooooo I don't know wtf is going on.

4 hours ago, fpsabe said:

just talked to my isp and said that the modem should not be effecting my routers performance. sooooo I don't know wtf is going on.

fpsabe, what are your speeds from your ISP? And currently what do you have your sliders set at? both up and down.. Could it be your old rj59 cable..sure it could be anything like that from a bad connector to a bad or wrong splitter.. Do you have splitters in your home?  Did you say you had your ISP out at your house already? And if they were there did they test your main line?

2 hours ago, Zippy said:

fpsabe, what are your speeds from your ISP? And currently what do you have your sliders set at? both up and down.. Could it be your old rj59 cable..sure it could be anything like that from a bad connector to a bad or wrong splitter.. Do you have splitters in your home?  Did you say you had your ISP out at your house already? And if they were there did they test your main line?

speeds are 100 down and 10 upload.  and I have no splitters, and the tech said the  line is good.  At this moment I think it's probably a puma 7 thing. My modem is on the bad modem list  and it's probably there for a reason.  The puma 7 chipset probably starts to show lag spikes after certain amount of bandwidth. My bufferbloat is 1-5ms so it shouldn't be this bad when someone else uses a small amount of  bandwidth and all I can think to blame would be the chipset.

It doesn't matter anymore, I returned the xr500 today.

15 hours ago, fpsabe said:

speeds are 100 down and 10 upload.  and I have no splitters, and the tech said the  line is good.  At this moment I think it's probably a puma 7 thing. My modem is on the bad modem list  and it's probably there for a reason.  The puma 7 chipset probably starts to show lag spikes after certain amount of bandwidth. My bufferbloat is 1-5ms so it shouldn't be this bad when someone else uses a small amount of  bandwidth and all I can think to blame would be the chipset.

It doesn't matter anymore, I returned the xr500 today.

fpsabe, Im sorry to hear this.. I wish it would have worked out for you.. If you want to test your combo unit from your ISP just to see how well it does with having the Puma chipset just google puma test. Its a simple test that dslreports has that will help you at least to understand how your combo unit stands up. It will at least give you a bit of peace of mind and then you will have an idea at least if that is the cause.. The test might be labled as Puma6 Test.. But that test works across all devices and not just the puma6.. My guess is your test will comeback as yellow and light green.. Which for gaming wont be good enough..  Take the test.. If you have any further questions about it feel free to post back here and I can explain it for you.. The test is easy and takes about 2 minutes.. Give or take..  Good luck!

Zippy..

54 minutes ago, Zippy said:

fpsabe, Im sorry to hear this.. I wish it would have worked out for you.. If you want to test your combo unit from your ISP just to see how well it does with having the Puma chipset just google puma test. Its a simple test that dslreports has that will help you at least to understand how your combo unit stands up. It will at least give you a bit of peace of mind and then you will have an idea at least if that is the cause.. The test might be labled as Puma6 Test.. But that test works across all devices and not just the puma6.. My guess is your test will comeback as yellow and light green.. Which for gaming wont be good enough..  Take the test.. If you have any further questions about it feel free to post back here and I can explain it for you.. The test is easy and takes about 2 minutes.. Give or take..  Good luck!

Zippy..

yea I did this test back  when I had a puma 6 modem so I know what the test is.   My results  with puma 7 modem come in almost perfect. about 10 ms apart, and out of no where 1 200ms lag spike. 

8 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

yea I did this test back  when I had a puma 6 modem so I know what the test is.   My results  with puma 7 modem come in almost perfect. about 10 ms apart, and out of no where 1 200ms lag spike. 

If your getting a nice solid green square then I would say you can likely take that out of the picture as an issue.. If you get one lag spike of 200.. Then that is an issue.. As you already likely know.. One needs a steady ping..

14 minutes ago, Zippy said:

If your getting a nice solid green square then I would say you can likely take that out of the picture as an issue.. If you get one lag spike of 200.. Then that is an issue.. As you already likely know.. One needs a steady ping..

the results are always different, sometimes it's very steady and maybe 2 yellow blocks in the picture,  and the one time it shows 600ms lag spikes and bunch of red is in the final results.  but most of the time when I test it,  it's full green  with a few yellow it in.

12 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

the results are always different, sometimes it's very steady and maybe 2 yellow blocks in the picture,  and the one time it shows 600ms lag spikes and bunch of red is in the final results.  but most of the time when I test it,  it's full green  with a few yellow it in.

As you know it is hard to diagnose exactly what you have going on over a forum.. And I can only give suggestions.. By the sounds of it you have fluctuations.. Which really at this point can be coming from anything. Its hard to point the finger at one thing.. And it makes it even harder to pin point this when your stuck using ISP only equipment.. Because one cant really rule any one thing out..  You said your ISP checked your line.. So one would believe that they did check it and its not the cause.. If they actually did do a good test on it.. The other problem we have is we know you might have a puma chipset.. Which is another issue because we just don't know really if there is an issue with that still lingering. And the fact that you cant use or buy your own equipment makes that a dead end for you.. So you can see where this leaves us just going in circles.. Whish I could be of more help but you have a tuff one.. You don't have much for options atm.. Do you have any other ISP's around you that you could try?

Zippy.

8 minutes ago, Zippy said:

As you know it is hard to diagnose exactly what you have going on over a forum.. And I can only give suggestions.. By the sounds of it you have fluctuations.. Which really at this point can be coming from anything. Its hard to point the finger at one thing.. And it makes it even harder to pin point this when your stuck using ISP only equipment.. Because one cant really rule any one thing out..  You said your ISP checked your line.. So one would believe that they did check it and its not the cause.. If they actually did do a good test on it.. The other problem we have is we know you might have a puma chipset.. Which is another issue because we just don't know really if there is an issue with that still lingering. And the fact that you cant use or buy your own equipment makes that a dead end for you.. So you can see where this leaves us just going in circles.. Whish I could be of more help but you have a tuff one.. You don't have much for options atm.. Do you have any other ISP's around you that you could try?

Zippy.

one isp, with one modem is all I got  at the moment :D I just have to take it, and my current router set up is pretty good now barely any extra ping when I play games on the ps4 when the internet is getting used up like if someone is watching twitch. Max ping spike I get is maybe a 20 in online games, but that doesn't happen often.   but these high lag spikes in  the puma 6 test can't be accurate as I never seen that high of a ping in my ping plotter tests or any games I play, or even feel those spikes when I play online games.   

1 hour ago, Zippy said:

Zippy.

2 hours ago, fpsabe said:

one isp, with one modem is all I got  at the moment :D I just have to take it, and my current router set up is pretty good now barely any extra ping when I play games on the ps4 when the internet is getting used up like if someone is watching twitch. Max ping spike I get is maybe a 20 in online games, but that doesn't happen often.   but these high lag spikes in  the puma 6 test can't be accurate as I never seen that high of a ping in my ping plotter tests or any games I play, or even feel those spikes when I play online games.   

Honestly I would just enjoy what you have.. It doesn't sound that bad with online gaming! :D 

• Administrators

Could you set Anti-Bufferbloat to 50% and Always, then run a Pingplotter test. Do you get spikes? Please post the results here so we can take a look, it might shed some light as to the possible cause. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Could you set Anti-Bufferbloat to 50% and Always, then run a Pingplotter test. Do you get spikes? Please post the results here so we can take a look, it might shed some light as to the possible cause. Thanks.

Sorry I already returned the xr500, I tried every kind of set up and it just wasn't working as good as I was hoping. It worked for  reducing my ping when someone was downloading or using a lot of bandwidth but I was hoping it would get rid like 95% of the congestion but it was more like 50% for me.  I now run dd-wrt firmware which seems to help a lot more cause it has more advanced options to play around with and see which settings helps more. 

18 hours ago, Zippy said:

Honestly I would just enjoy what you have.. It doesn't sound that bad with online gaming! :D 

I been playing around with more dd-wrt options and manual priority seems to work the best and set my own bandwidth with each device, and I was able to get my congested network down to 1-10 ms of extra lag if someone was to download a file, or have multiple twitch channels going at once.  seems like default priority doesn't work on my network which is probably why  the xr500 qos didn't work.  I may have to look into more advanced firmwares than dd-wrt if I wanted to get my congested network to no lag at all when someone is downloading, or watching twitch like the er x router, I would just have to watch tutorials how to get that router going with my network.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, fpsabe said:

Sorry I already returned the xr500, I tried every kind of set up and it just wasn't working as good as I was hoping. It worked for  reducing my ping when someone was downloading or using a lot of bandwidth but I was hoping it would get rid like 95% of the congestion but it was more like 50% for me.  I now run dd-wrt firmware which seems to help a lot more cause it has more advanced options to play around with and see which settings helps more. 

No worries, thanks for letting us know. Our users find congestion should be eliminated to 95% / 100%, so it's puzzling it did not happen for you here. 

We've got some cool stuff for QoS in the pipeline, so do keep a look out for future announcements from us 

13 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

No worries, thanks for letting us know. Our users find congestion should be eliminated to 95% / 100%, so it's puzzling it did not happen for you here. 

We've got some cool stuff for QoS in the pipeline, so do keep a look out for future announcements from us 

I will for sure. 

On 3/4/2019 at 12:49 PM, fpsabe said:

I been playing around with more dd-wrt options and manual priority seems to work the best and set my own bandwidth with each device, and I was able to get my congested network down to 1-10 ms of extra lag if someone was to download a file, or have multiple twitch channels going at once.  seems like default priority doesn't work on my network which is probably why  the xr500 qos didn't work.  I may have to look into more advanced firmwares than dd-wrt if I wanted to get my congested network to no lag at all when someone is downloading, or watching twitch like the er x router, I would just have to watch tutorials how to get that router going with my network.

Hey fpsabe,  dd-wrt does do a good job at congestion as well.. There are many good third party firmware's out there that do amazing things for ones QoS.. And everyday that passes there is always something new coming out that is even better then before..  Just so you understand also that my ASUS with Merlin firmware does a fantastic job at QoS then what I can get with my XR500.. But the options with my ASUS are just vastly different and the options are far more in depth.. But its flexibility makes it work with just about every situation.. But you have to know what your doing to achieve this.. But Im more of a techy type guy and love learning and trying new settings and fine tuning things.. Most people do not like getting into depths like this.. And that is why DumaOS is the next best thing.. Everyones Network environment is different.. Meaning one size may not fit all.. And I can understand why you may have returned your XR500.. Your return window was likely coming close to the end and you weren't getting the results you were hoping.. I still have my XR500.. But have a very nice backup router.. My ASUS with Merlin.. As far as the er x router.. Are you talking the Er X Edge router? If so that is also a very good option.. But that also requires a lot more hands on.. But once you get that knowledge and know how you really have many options there that will give you results far past what one would think.. :) 

Zippy..

11 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Its always good to see you guys at Netduma are always looking for advancement and cutting edge QoS.. That's what fascinates me with what you guys do there.. My biggest thing though that I feel is problematic is the disconnect with firmware release with Netgear.. When I first purchased this router I was on the understanding that it was just Netgears hardware with NetdumaOS.. And one would be working directly with you guys and getting updates directly from you.. But it turns out not the case at all..  Once you guys create your OS then it gets past onto Netgears staff for further testing.. And at which we now have to rely on there testing and release.. That time frame is far to lengthy for this day and age.. And when an issue occurs we now have to wait many months for even a fix or updates.. And even when new updates come out we can only hope it fixes issues with prior firmeware.. Because if it doesn't fix certain bugs or what not we now have to wait again many months for another release for issues that linger update to update.. Now we could be talking 9 months plus for things to get fixed.. And it is at this point I find it problematic because people that have issues will not be engaged enough for that length of time! Meaning it is very likely they will switch to something else.. This is by no means to bash you guys at all.. Your support is fantastic! But this disconnect in the timeframe with firmware is a hard pill to swallow..  It would be one thing if we were just talking about new feature updates.. That would be fine to wait that length of time.. But its the fact that if we have issues with a particular bug and waiting many months on hopes for fixes is what really is very concerning and is what im trying to point out here.. I just cant see people staying engaged for that length of time when something else out there works better for them..

Zippy.

• Administrators

Totally understand your points. We always test our firmware on all the platforms it is available on. We make sure we're happy with it before it gets sent to Netgear. They will also test it, as you can expect, it is their hardware, they don't want any crazy bugs cropping up. They then also include their own updates for settings etc so it needs to be tested by them. We can't control when they release updates unfortunately, all we can do on our side is make sure our software is as polished as possible.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Totally understand your points. We always test our firmware on all the platforms it is available on. We make sure we're happy with it before it gets sent to Netgear. They will also test it, as you can expect, it is their hardware, they don't want any crazy bugs cropping up. They then also include their own updates for settings etc so it needs to be tested by them. We can't control when they release updates unfortunately, all we can do on our side is make sure our software is as polished as possible.

I totally understand that.. I think you guys have been doing your part.. And doing it well.. And I think you said it best on another thread.. That the real testing is when we the users get it because its in the real type environment.. An environment that is different with each user..