Qos is not working for me on the downloading side. how do I fix this?

Hope thing turn out well for you fpsabe!  There has been new firmware out to help with the puma 6 issue.. Hopefully that will give you great gameplay again! :) Good luck and let us know how this all turns out for yah!  

On 2/26/2019 at 3:58 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

That's really great news! Puma 6 used to have issues but I think they've since been fixed so fingers crossed!

Well got a modem in the mail, but it's the same modem that I had lol. then I talk to my isp again and said that's the only one they use now... Now I had a higher tech that knows what he was doing and forced the modem into bridge mode.  so the modem is in bridge mode, but the qos on the router still isn't working.... I think this might be a cause of the puma 7 doing it's lag spikes and only shows up  when a certain amount of bandwidth is going at a time, I don't know.  Super weird honestly. I honestly don't even know if the modem is in real bridge mode, cause I can still connect  other computers on the other ethernet ports on the modem so obviously it sounds like it's still routing if the other ports are still working.  So yea  I can only hope for a different modem to pop up  which will be like a one or two year wait. lmao. gg.  dhcp is still going on the modem, does this mean it's still routing? 

7 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

Well got a modem in the mail, but it's the same modem that I had lol. then I talk to my isp again and said that's the only one they use now... Now I had a higher tech that knows what he was doing and forced the modem into bridge mode.  so the modem is in bridge mode, but the qos on the router still isn't working.... I think this might be a cause of the puma 7 doing it's lag spikes and only shows up  when a certain amount of bandwidth is going at a time, I don't know.  Super weird honestly. I honestly don't even know if the modem is in real bridge mode, cause I can still connect  other computers on the other ethernet ports on the modem so obviously it sounds like it's still routing if the other ports are still working.  So yea  I can only hope for a different modem to pop up  which will be like a one or two year wait. lmao. gg. 

and just looked at the status on my modem, dhcp is still going on the modem. is this means the modem is still routing? 

27 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

and just looked at the status on my modem, dhcp is still going on the modem. is this means the modem is still routing? 

fpsabe I have a question for you.. well a couple actually...lol. Do you have IPv6 enabled? And are you able to log into this combo unit?

1 minute ago, Zippy said:

fpsabe I have a question for you.. well a couple actually...lol. Do you have IPv6 enabled? And are you able to log into this combo unit?

ipv6 is disabled, and I am able to log into the combo unit.

Okay that's good... I have a few things you could try..because for some odd reason I feel you should still be able to get this to work.. When you log into this unit do you actually see a page that gives you the option to bridge this?

Okay that's good... I have a few things you could try..because for some odd reason I feel you should still be able to get this to work.. When you log into this unit do you actually see a page that gives you the option to bridge this?

it doesn't say bridge mode, it says gateway function.  that is disabled now, and I re talked to the tech and he said the modem is fully on bridge mode and the modem is in full modem mode.  I don't know if ping plotter is lying to me but ping plotter shows i'm having 100 ping lag spikes, while in-game on black ops 4 max lag spike I get is 20ms. so I'm super confused.

2 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

it doesn't say bridge mode, it says gateway function.  that is disabled now, and I re talked to the tech and he said the modem is fully on bridge mode and the modem is in full modem mode.  I don't know if ping plotter is lying to me but ping plotter shows i'm having 100 ping lag spikes, while in-game on black ops 4 max lag spike I get is 20ms. so I'm super confused.

That is strange.. Is this with the XR500 hooked up or are you playing with just what your ISP gave you and no XR500 hooked up?  Usually the reason for bridge mode is so you don't get double NAT.. Thats the reason as far as im aware.. Basically putting the device you got from your ISP into bridge mode just passes on all the NAT to be done with the router you want..which I believe is your XR500..

Just now, Zippy said:

That is strange.. Is this with the XR500 hooked up or are you playing with just what your ISP gave you and no XR500 hooked up?  Usually the reason for bridge mode is so you don't get double NAT.. Thats the reason as far as im aware.. Basically putting the device you got from your ISP into bridge mode just passes on all the NAT to be done with the router you want..which I believe is your XR500..

yes, I got xr500 hooked up.  I have the qos on 30%. 

Just now, fpsabe said:

yes, I got xr500 hooked up.  I have the qos on 30%. 

Okay if your ISP says this is in full bridge mode lets just say it is then so we don't confuse that as a cause.. which it still could be but lets just say for now its in bridge mode.. Have you tried to use the MAC address from this combo unit your ISP gave you and used that MAC address in the XR500 and not using the XR500 default MAC address? I have a funny feeling your ISP has locked onto your gateways MAC..

Just now, Zippy said:

Okay if your ISP says this is in full bridge mode lets just say it is then so we don't confuse that as a cause.. which it still could be but lets just say for now its in bridge mode.. Have you tried to use the MAC address from this combo unit your ISP gave you and used that MAC address in the XR500 and not using the XR500 default MAC address? I have a funny feeling your ISP has locked onto your gateways MAC..

ok I can try that. 

Just now, fpsabe said:

ok I can try that. 

Give that a go once.. That hopefully will get this straightened out.. Post back here how it goes.. I still feel you should be able to control your bufferbloat..

11 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Give that a go once.. That hopefully will get this straightened out.. Post back here how it goes.. I still feel you should be able to control your bufferbloat..

Hopefully I did this right, I looked at the mac address on the back of the modem, put that into the nighthawk xr500 router, and  I get no internet when I do that. 

1 minute ago, fpsabe said:

Hopefully I did this right, I looked at the mac address on the back of the modem, put that into the nighthawk xr500 router, and  I get no internet when I do that. 

Okay.. Are there two MAC addresses on your combo unit? There likely is.. One MAC is for the modem side of things and one for the Gateway/router side of things.. You want to use your Gateways MAC.. Hope this makes sense for you! Let me know! Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Okay.. Are there two MAC addresses on your combo unit? There likely is.. One MAC is for the modem side of things and one for the Gateway/router side of things.. You want to use your Gateways MAC.. Hope this makes sense for you! Let me know! Good luck!

Can't find two mac addresses, I might have to ask my isp what they are maybe. 

1 hour ago, fpsabe said:

Can't find two mac addresses, I might have to ask my isp what they are maybe. 

You could call them and ask what your default gateways MAC address is.. You can also find it using windows "ipconfig / all" on a command line. There are other steps then also but if you haven't done this before you could google the steps.. Its not to difficult to do.. There usually is a sticker on your unit that breaks down the two MAC addresses.. 

If you don't know how to do this let me know.. When using windows and using your computer you have to be plugged into your combo unit that your isp gave you..  Then using windows ipconfig / all  you will see your default gateways ip address. ping that and you will then see your default gateways MAC address using arp -a.. Whatever that MAC address is... is what you put in your XR500 router.. Btw this is all done in the command prompt using windows.. Hope this isn't confusing.. lol.. Good luck!

35 minutes ago, Zippy said:

You could call them and ask what your default gateways MAC address is.. You can also find it using windows "ipconfig / all" on a command line. There are other steps then also but if you haven't done this before you could google the steps.. Its not to difficult to do.. There usually is a sticker on your unit that breaks down the two MAC addresses.. 

alright,  qos works now after bridge mode, it just doesn't work for download for some reason. Probably a isp thing, I heard it's harder to control the download side of the internet.   did a test on the upload side and no lag spikes, but once I took qos off the router, I was getting lag spikes up to 120ms, put qos back on, and it went back to normal.  so it's probably my isp problem. Only thing I can think of is, my coaxial cable is pretty old, it's a rg59 coaxial cable had it for probably 15 years. had it back when I had 10 download, and 2 upload.  but signals are fine and I did line quality test and they were perfect. so yea must be isp. or possibly ping plotter going crazy  because the black ops 4 ping graph updates at like 0.1 seconds and highest lag spike I've seen was up to 20+ ms so I don't know. all I know my hit detection seems to be better after getting the modem to brige mode.  

7 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

alright,  qos works now after bridge mode, it just doesn't work for download for some reason. Probably a isp thing, I heard it's harder to control the download side of the internet.   did a test on the upload side and no lag spikes, but once I took qos off the router, I was getting lag spikes up to 120ms, put qos back on, and it went back to normal.  so it's probably my isp problem. Only thing I can think of is, my coaxial cable is pretty old, it's a rg59 coaxial cable had it for probably 15 years. had it back when I had 10 download, and 2 upload.  but signals are fine and I did line quality test and they were perfect. so yea must be isp. or possibly ping plotter going crazy  because the black ops 4 ping graph updates at like 0.1 seconds and highest lag spike I've seen was up to 20+ ms so I don't know. all I know my hit detection seems to be better after getting the modem to brige mode.  

Well it does sound like the router is doing some QoS then.. Just by having DOCSIS 3.1 should make a difference also. So are you saying things seem to be working and are better? If so then just leave things as they are and enjoy some good gaming! :) If not just post back here! 

Well it does sound like the router is doing some QoS then.. Just by having DOCSIS 3.1 should make a difference also. So are you saying things seem to be working and are better? If so then just leave things as they are and enjoy some good gaming! :) If not just post back here! 

yes gaming is better, best scenario would be as long nobody downloads on the network, ping  is perfect, and for devices watching twitch, I guess I could limit the bandwidth so they can't watch 1080p 60fps. cause 720p, or 900p barely does any lag spikes, but when someone does 1080p, lots of lag spikes on ping plotter for some reason.  might have to play around with some bandwidth. but overall, the way I have it at the moment is probably the best i'm going to get. 

7 minutes ago, Zippy said:

and something super weird, I'm legit downloading a game on pc, and black ops 4 ping graph on ps4 says my ping is 60-100, but my hit detection is almost instantly, so seems to be better for sure. 

5 minutes ago, fpsabe said:

and something super weird, I'm legit downloading a game on pc, and black ops 4 ping graph on ps4 says my ping is 60-100, but my hit detection is almost instantly, so seems to be better for sure. 

Excellent! If its better then that's what counts! It does take some tweaking to really dial it in.. But by the sound of it your on the right track!  Having it in bridge mode is a must! And Im pretty confident it is actually in bridge mode now.. If gaming is better then I would just kick back and enjoy some gaming! ha ha.. Good luck and enjoy!! :) 

9 hours ago, Zippy said:

Excellent! If its better then that's what counts! It does take some tweaking to really dial it in.. But by the sound of it your on the right track!  Having it in bridge mode is a must! And Im pretty confident it is actually in bridge mode now.. If gaming is better then I would just kick back and enjoy some gaming! ha ha.. Good luck and enjoy!! :) 

ehhh,  xr500 qos must not work well for my network, cause my nighthawk r7000 with dd-wrt is getting way better results on ping plotter. I had to test it since the modem is in bridge mode, and qos is working much better on the r7000. so i'm probably going to stick with the r7000 for at the moment. When I have twitch on my computer,  I'm getting a max of +10ms of extra ping on black ops 4 with the r7000, with the xr500 I was getting max +50.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, fpsabe said:

ehhh,  xr500 qos must not work well for my network, cause my nighthawk r7000 with dd-wrt is getting way better results on ping plotter. I had to test it since the modem is in bridge mode, and qos is working much better on the r7000. so i'm probably going to stick with the r7000 for at the moment. I might go router shopping. When I have twitch on my computer,  I'm getting a max of +10ms of extra ping on black ops 4 with the r7000, with the xr500 I was getting max +50.

Have you followed this guide to get QoS setup optimally? http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos

Do you have IPv6 enabled? Or PPPoE (these two can sometimes reduce the effects of our QoS)?