UPnP

I have created rules in port forwarding to play on my PC and tried to turn off UPnP and after I do the tick to turn off I get a message that says "WPS process is in progress, please apply the changes later."

And it of course it has a OK button and when I click that it goes back to on. So I would like to turn off UPnP and can not, help please

Thank You

yes I rebooted and was able to turn off UPnP and yes my WPS button is on and should it be?

I see that the light is on but I now understand that does not mean it is enabled, and i don't remember pressing that at all

also the reason I added the new rules was to use the ports for COD 4 PC as spelled out by activision and I am still getting a moderant nat. using my R1 that was the way I always got an open nat. any ideas?

All the forward features are screwy on this router. Port forwarding, port triggering, dmz, upnp. If I had to guess, they're all outdated. But this is on Netgear.  For me, the best way to get an open nat is by these steps:  Make sure sure you have open checked on the wan page.  Next is no static ip for any devices.  Only use upnp. Turn off everything. Once router is on, turn on pc and boot cod4.

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, kf4syr said:

thank you for your help. the only thing i am having trouble with finding the wan page. I see the wan setup page but do not see an open box to check. 

The advice above is great. Our developers have been looking into UPnP as something to improve, so hopefully this year we can implement some changes in that area :D let us know how you get on with Sunaikinti's suggestion!

Thanks Jack! :)  I also have been seeing odd behavior with UPnP.. What I think is happening is that UPnP stalls out or basically doesn't refresh.. If I do a reset to the router UPnP seems to function. But with each new session and or game one plays it doesn't pick up the new port.  To better understand this is also by using the port forwarding option.. How I looked into this a little deeper was setting the required ports for a game.. Then reset the router.. Checked the ports with the port checker tool.. Everything looked good.. Went and played a few games.. Then noticed on the third game it played really off.. So I went back in again to check to see if the ports were still saying open.. They were all coming back as either closed or filtered.. Neither which is good.. Reboot the router and they all checked good again. But this only last for a few games and it repeats itself.. One thing nice about UPnP when working correctly is it can identify the new port number the server is using for each session and or game played.. Very rarely does one get back to back games with the same server port number.. Those usually can rang from 30000-60000 UDP.  I haven't tried what Sunaikinti's mentioned but will give it a try.. Ive been meaning to try it myself but never did.. If this does work then it makes me wonder why the firewall originally allows UPnP or port forwarding to function then for whatever the reason decides to no long.. Interesting though.

Zippy.

I did as Sunaikinti suggested but my NAT is still moderate. Also this is only when i am playing BLOPS 4, but when I play WW2 my NAT is open using nothing but UPnP. What is the disable SIP ALG check box for in WAN setup under NAT Filtering? The odd thing is I never had any problem with the new OS on my R1, any ideas? 

1 hour ago, kf4syr said:

I did as Sunaikinti suggested but my NAT is still moderate. Also this is only when i am playing BLOPS 4, but when I play WW2 my NAT is open using nothing but UPnP. What is the disable SIP ALG check box for in WAN setup under NAT Filtering? The odd thing is I never had any problem with the new OS on my R1, any ideas? 

You don't happen to have your PC added to the Geo filter do you?

7 minutes ago, kf4syr said:

Yes and it is in filtering mode 

Try setting it to spectating mode.. Basically disabling it.. See if you get an Open NAT then.. You may have your radius set to small and may be blocking an authenticating server.. Give that a try.. Or just remove your PC from the Geo filter and see what happens..

Do you happen to have any servers in your Allow and Deny.. Denied?  If you don't then this is a strange one..  Also are all your devices showing properly in the Device Manager?  PC being a PC and not labeling as something else? Also check and make sure they have the correct ip addresses.. Sometimes things like this can get mixed up.. If not then you might have to wait for a reply from the Duma team and see if they can help sort this out more.. Ive thought of everything possible I know of.. Sorry! 😕

Zippy.

thank you and yes for the device manager all things show correct and no servers denied

I have only had this unit a week now, before I was using the R1 and with the new OS. At install the unit did a factory update as well as the latest DUMA update. I have read in the forum concerning this update it is good idea to do a factory reset. Is this done at the Backup settings page and would it be using the restore button. I have done a back up file and would I use that as restore from saved file after Factory reset?

12 minutes ago, kf4syr said:

thank you and yes for the device manager all things show correct and no servers denied

Your welcome..  Are you using any ping assist ? See if disabling that helps..  If I can think of anything else to try I will post here.. Hope things get sorted for you.

Zippy.

1 minute ago, kf4syr said:

I have only had this unit a week now, before I was using the R1 and with the new OS. At install the unit did a factory update as well as the latest DUMA update. I have read in the forum concerning this update it is good idea to do a factory reset. Is this done at the Backup settings page and would it be using the restore button. I have done a back up file and would I use that as restore from saved file after Factory reset?

I would do a full factory reset and not use your saved file.. Start fresh!  Give that a try.. Doing a full factory reset is done on the back of the router with a little pin or something like that and push and hold that for about 5-10 seconds and then release.. let router fully come back up and go from there.. Give the router plenty of time to fully reboot before changing or adjusting anything.. Basically even once it back up and running wait 5 10 minutes before doing anything.. Hopefully this might straighten thing out for yah... Again do not use your backup file.. Good luck!!

Zippy..

• Netduma Staff
10 hours ago, kf4syr said:

Not using ping assist and it is set at 0

Let us know how you get on after the factory reset; it seems like a really persistent problem so hopefully that should resolve it :)

• Administrators

If its open on one game and not the other then I suspect it's a misreading as I'm pretty sure both CoD games would use the same ports. Put the console in the DMZ in the WAN Setup in Settings, that's usually a very easy way of obtaining an open NAT.

OK, concerning DMZ I was going to ask about this and to remind I am PC gaming and not using a console. That is the only thing I have not tried is putting the router into my modem’s DMZ. My modem is bridged and was working fine before with the R1. So my question is do I leave the modem bridged at the same time while putting the XR500 into the modem’s DMZ or is it done a different way. As you can tell I am new at this but have a basic concept.

I just noticed something that Sunaikinti posted on Sunday, that ‘’Next is no static ip for any devices’’. Not sure what this means, I thought all devices used a static IP. Also my ISP router/modem which is currently bridged is a Motorola surfboard SBG6580 and it’s configuration page for a DMZ host has only the ability to add a 192. Address and not the WAN I have that starts with 72. So does this mean I can not put my XR500 into the DMZ of my modem?

4 hours ago, kf4syr said:

I just noticed something that Sunaikinti posted on Sunday, that ‘’Next is no static ip for any devices’’. Not sure what this means, I thought all devices used a static IP. Also my ISP router/modem which is currently bridged is a Motorola surfboard SBG6580 and it’s configuration page for a DMZ host has only the ability to add a 192. Address and not the WAN I have that starts with 72. So does this mean I can not put my XR500 into the DMZ of my modem?

I think what Sunaikinti meant by that is don't have any of your devices added to the ip address reservation in the XR500.. Which gives your devices static ips..  From what device are you trying this DMZ? Your XR500 or your modem?  If your modem/gateway is already in bridge mode then it should have passed all NAT on to your XR500.. Which if this is how you currently have it still setup then you would go into your XR500 and put your PC into the DMZ.. Hope this makes sense.. The only reason I find what you have going as very strange is that you say you had the R1 at one time and had no issues getting an Open NAT.. So one would think this XR500 should do just the same.. Post back how things turn out for you..