XR500 No internet after reboot

Every time i reboot my new xr500 the internet does not come back up. So i phoned my provider to see if they could tell me whats going on.

Interesting conversation.... apparently they could see my internal devices on my network such as my phillips hue and various devices such as an xbox my pc and so on which appears to be advertising to my provider that they are the router hence why the internet was not working. Upon the tech kicking all the xr500 imposters the net started working. Now to be clear i am running the latest firmware and am not doing anything crazy.

So my question is.... How the hell is it possible? Is this thing even secure? i Never had any issues like this running Asus Merlin on my AC68U

Has anyone else come across this issue?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Why do you keep rebooting the router, there really is no need to! Secondly what type of connection do you have, are you vdsl pppoe, fibre? Do you have an isp supplied modem/router that the XR500 is connected to or do you have a modem?

Sorry to hear you are having problems but will do whatever we can to solve your issue!.............................Yes, the router is secure unless you change settings to make it unsecure such as certain firewall settings.

• Netduma Staff
4 hours ago, Boga said:

Every time i reboot my new xr500 the internet does not come back up. So i phoned my provider to see if they could tell me whats going on.

Interesting conversation.... apparently they could see my internal devices on my network such as my phillips hue and various devices such as an xbox my pc and so on which appears to be advertising to my provider that they are the router hence why the internet was not working. Upon the tech kicking all the xr500 imposters the net started working. Now to be clear i am running the latest firmware and am not doing anything crazy.

So my question is.... How the hell is it possible? Is this thing even secure? i Never had any issues like this running Asus Merlin on my AC68U

Has anyone else come across this issue?

Hi, welcome to the forum! The XR500 is perfectly secure, with its own built-in firewall. You shouldn't be rebooting often, there's no reason to. What precisely do you mean by 'advertising to your provider that they are the router'?

Connection type is Fibre (FTTP - Fibre to the Premise) example below

Further Information here : https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco/documents/nbn-fibre-user-guide.pdf

NBN_FTTP_Diagram.jpg

In regards to advertising as the router. when switching from my old router to the xr500 there is a 30 min cool down on the provider end before the new router is allowed on the network ( it holds the mac of the old router for 30 mins before releasing and recognizing the new mac of the xr500.

For some reason when i reboot the xr500 devices on my network are being picked up by my provider as the router hence a new mac address is being bound and i am never able to get a connection.

This happens to me when the router reboots due to a power loss, or when I manually reboot it.  When it happens, I have noticed that it has trouble getting a WAN IP address from the ISP.  I can usually get the issue resolved by toggling the MAC address of the router to either Computer or Default in the settings menu.

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, Boga said:

So any response on this issue or is this not a duma os problem?

The suggestions above are fantastic. I have a feeling it's not a specific DumaOS problem, rather a rare miscommunication between your modem and the XR500. Let us know if those solutions work for you :)

2 hours ago, Netduma Jack said:

The suggestions above are fantastic. I have a feeling it's not a specific DumaOS problem, rather a rare miscommunication between your modem and the XR500. Let us know if those solutions work for you :)

Im sorry but they dont sound like fantastic solutions to me. I had no such issues with my old router and i guess thats what ill be putting back in and returning the xr500.

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Roguestatus sti said:

This happens to me quite frequently. I have to reset daily because either my xbox shows offline, ps4,computer etc. The only way to get to show up again is by resetting the router.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

I'd suggest you try the same thing above also. Do you shutdown those devices properly or leave them in a standby mode?

On 2/13/2019 at 4:51 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

In Internet Setup, change the IP to static and change the MAC address to use a specific one but put in the XR500 MAC address. Does that resolve it?

No internet when using "Use Static IP Address " (retaining the current ip setup) and the mac to "Use this Mac Address" Which is set to the xr500 mac.

Changed back to "Get dynamically from ISP" leaving the mac setting as is and the net comes back up.

Haven't been game enough to reboot router with this config as yet as i'm not keen on spending 3 or so hours trying to get it back up and running again and having to phone my provider to clear out all the mac addresses again.

might give it a go tonight when i get home with just the static mac set and see if that works.

Every time I need to reboot the XR500, I have no internet after that. If I don't do a reset or do a factory reset, I can't get it back.

Sometimes after an initial setup, I test my internet speed on www.speedtest.net with the correct servers and I either get the full internet gigabit speed or the 1/10th of my internet gigabit speed..

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you do the suggestion above as well please? Have you disabled DHCP by any chance?

The suggestion above for the Internet IP Address with the "Use Static IP Address " give me no internet. I have to set on "Get dynamically from ISP" to make it work again.

My DHCP is enabled.

Ive had this exact same issue as well.. The only thing that cleared it up for me was downgrading back to firmware V2.3.2.22  Down fall to this is one loses some of the latest features. But the router seemed much more stable with this firmware and at least I wouldnt lose connection after a reboot or some other factor. It wouldn't be so bad but with the newest firmware it took a lot of time to get the router to finally make a connection. I just didn't have that kind of time to spare so I downgraded back to the firmware I stated above.. Some of you here could try this just to see if it works and it also would help to figure out if this is a firmware issue.. Which I believe it is.. Another thing also I want to point out as well is my devices now show proper in the device manager and don't get hung up with some saying online when off or online when there actually off line.. Good luck!

Zippy.

On 2/12/2019 at 2:51 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

In Internet Setup, change the IP to static and change the MAC address to use a specific one but put in the XR500 MAC address. Does that resolve it?

No.  It does not resolve it.  When making these changes, I lose internet access.  To regain access to the internet, I have to change back to Internet IP Address:  'Get Dynamically from ISP', and Router MAC Address:  'Use Default Address'.   Get "Automatically from ISP

• Administrators

When you set the IP to static, which IP address did you put into the router? Could you take a screenshot of your settings please both before and after changing

this may or may not be the same situation. If i reboot both my modem and router i wont get internet connection. What I have to do is unplug the modem, reboot the router till it comes back on line fully them turn my modem back on. If i turn off both and do modem then router i do not get internet back till i reboot the modem again after the router is already back up and running fully

ok so far i have had 2 successful reboots of the xr500 since changing the mac address to "Use This Mac" and confirming with my provider that's what they see on there end. Im still not sure what had really been going on but i think the call to my provider and them clearing out all the other mac's may have resolved the problem as stated in my first post. But how it all got in that state ill guess ill never find out.

Hopefully this doesn't happen again but i doubt this issue is resolved as this had never happened with my previous hardware.

• Administrators
20 hours ago, jdmefsir said:

this may or may not be the same situation. If i reboot both my modem and router i wont get internet connection. What I have to do is unplug the modem, reboot the router till it comes back on line fully them turn my modem back on. If i turn off both and do modem then router i do not get internet back till i reboot the modem again after the router is already back up and running fully

That could be - sounds like the modem is struggling to give your router an IP address (DHCP). Try assigning a static WAN IP in the router's settings (go to >Settings >Internet Setup)

7 hours ago, Boga said:

ok so far i have had 2 successful reboots of the xr500 since changing the mac address to "Use This Mac" and confirming with my provider that's what they see on there end. Im still not sure what had really been going on but i think the call to my provider and them clearing out all the other mac's may have resolved the problem as stated in my first post. But how it all got in that state ill guess ill never find out.

Hopefully this doesn't happen again but i doubt this issue is resolved as this had never happened with my previous hardware.

Awesome, thanks for letting us know. Hope it stays stable for you now.