UPNP or Port Forward?

CrossFitKila717

Which is better, UPNP with just the one port (3076), or adding this one along with all the other ports manually with Port Forwarding? I’ve heard mixed reviews......and as long as I have open NAT, not sure if it matters? 

Is it possible though that it shows Open when I check it but during gameplay, it can change to Moderate or Strict without even knowing, causing lag? In this case, having more port options seems logical?

Thanks all!

• Administrators

If you've got an Open NAT there's really no need to do port forwarding as it sounds like UPnP has done it's job. Some people still prefer to open ports manually and say it improves their experience but this is subjective. Not its very unlikely that is happening. Is QoS setup correctly and is your ping low on the Geo-Filter?

Pretty sure QOS is setup correctly.......DumaOS Classified Games “enabled” with no added devices. I have “When High Priority Traffic Detected” selected. My correct speeds are input. 

I have only 3 total devices connected to Bandwidth Allocation”......router, Xbox & laptop. As of right now, it’s set equally at 33% each. Is there any reason to mess with this & if so, how much?

Share Excess is also ticked. 

upnp automatically opens ports for devices as and when required. Port forwarding permenantly opens specific ports when the device needs them but you would have to know all the ports needed as there are also teredo ports. Stick with upnp unless you get nat issues. If you really want to go down the port forwarding route then go check portforward.com where they have in-depth guides to port forwarding. 

Your QOS sounds like it is fine going off your info you gave to Fraser. 

18 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Which is better, UPNP with just the one port (3076), or adding this one along with all the other ports manually with Port Forwarding? I’ve heard mixed reviews......and as long as I have open NAT, not sure if it matters? 

Is it possible though that it shows Open when I check it but during gameplay, it can change to Moderate or Strict without even knowing, causing lag? In this case, having more port options seems logical?

Thanks all!

Port forward is a GUARANTEE that it is working. Upnp is suspect in my opinion. I have all ports open with upnp turned off. If you want to call it placebo than whatever. The game definitely plays better. I've posted gameplays in the gamer section for proof. Also, I have ipv6 turned off in wan and lan. 

4 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

Port forward is a GUARANTEE that it is working. Upnp is suspect in my opinion. I have all ports open with upnp turned off. If you want to call it placebo than whatever. The game definitely plays better. I've posted gameplays in the gamer section for proof. Also, I have ipv6 turned off in wan and lan. 

What ports do I need open for Xbox COD WW2/BO4? And just type them in for the most part, click save & turn off UPNP? I’m sure UPNP was OFF for default? So it’s been off & the game has been playing fine? 

8 minutes ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

What ports do I need open for Xbox COD WW2/BO4? And just type them in for the most part, click save & turn off UPNP? I’m sure UPNP was OFF for default? So it’s been off & the game has been playing fine? 

Go here https://portforward.com/ 

16 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Here you are: https://support.activision.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Ports-Used-for-Call-of-Duty-Games/ has all the ports for whatever platform/game you need

Awesome! Do I put the same port number in “incoming” & “outgoing” ports? Tried to find in the forum but it didn’t cover what incoming vs outgoing is?

28 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Does source default to 1-65535? If so leave it as that, if not put it in both and see how you get on.

No, it was all blank. All that was default was the IP......192.68.88.”  “, so I added the last three numbers for my Xbox. Then I added the whole list of TCP & UDP that was on the activision site. When I added the port numbers in first column, it auto-added in the other 3 columns (incoming & outgoing). 

1 hour ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Do I need to mess with the flower petals at all for Bandwidth Allocation or are just the sliders good enough? What’s the difference between the two? Different effects?

I did. I have mine at 18mg down and 3.5 up for console. Whatever works for you though.

2 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

I’m confused. The petals give you percentages. Where do you see the actual mb?

If you click on your console in the bandwidth allocation section. A side section will pop up where you csn adjust and save it. It will also say how much bandwidth your allocating with your said QOS enabled. Then switch it and do it again download/upload.

On 2/11/2019 at 1:33 AM, purpleandgold33 said:

If you click on your console in the bandwidth allocation section. A side section will pop up where you csn adjust and save it. It will also say how much bandwidth your allocating with your said QOS enabled. Then switch it and do it again download/upload.

Great, thanks! What’s the difference between using the sliders & the flower petals? 

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

Great, thanks! What’s the difference between using the sliders & the flower petals? 

The bandwidth 'wheel' is just a more precise way to do it, and also has the handy text-box to enter an exact amount of bandwidth :)

10 hours ago, CrossFitKila717 said:

You just have to ecperiment crossfit. Thats wonderful thing about the router. What works for you may not for someone else. But we both have pretty much the same setup

6 hours ago, purpleandgold33 said:

You just have to ecperiment crossfit. Thats wonderful thing about the router. What works for you may not for someone else. But we both have pretty much the same setup

Yes indeed, but I’m not gonna lie......since there are so many options, it can get overwhelming at times. Always looking for that better setup & not quite knowing if it’s truly optimized (the best setup) or not. Right now I just have my Xbox wired straight into my WiFi router & the gameplay has been phenomenal & stress-free. Had to put myself in “duma-timeout”. Lol 😂. I have the TP Link 7610, which I know is a great router......but.....I feel as though it being only an 8 x 4, may be the limiting factor to the duma during high congestion times and/or when my lady is streaming Netflix. The duma (or any other router) can only deal with what it’s dealt and it didn’t seem to help that much, regardless of the multiple settings I tried on the duma, during those times. I’m not giving up though, I love the duma concept....so my plan is to first upgrade my modem to a good quality 24 x 8 channel version. Spectrum actually recommended the TP Link 7620 for my speeds. The 7610 that I have was only recommended for the “up to 100” tier, so that could be my whole problem anyways. So, upgrading to a higher channel modem for sure, then hooking the duma back up and try what you all are recommending, and we’ll see what happens. 

Any recommendations on a modem for my speeds 200/10??

Thanks for everyone’s help!