Still random reboots since launch

I’ve been through all the troubleshooting and so many times my XR500 has seemed to be fixed then it always starts rebooting again randomly.  I assumed this would get fixed with firmware updates, but that still hasn’t happened and I’m starting to wonder if I have a 300 dollar paperweight on my hands.  Curious if the logs are telling me anything useful or useable in fixing the issue, cause they don’t mean much to me.  Any help is appreciated, been battling this thing forever now and even though I like it when it works the reboots are driving me nuts.   Speaking of is there info in these logs I need to keep hidden or would they be ok to post for help, I’ve exhausted all the options on my end at this point and am desperate for consistent coverage again. 

• Administrators

Hi - you’re fine to post the logs although in truth there’s not usually much in there. Could you provide more info please:

1. Is the router randomly rebooting, or is the connection dropping and a reboot fixes it?

2. Do all devices lose connection or just a specific one?

3. Have you tried connecting to your modem when a drop happens? This would confirm if it’s dedinitely the router of if your entire line is dropping out

I assume you’re on the latest firmware too? https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#Firmware Version 2.3.2.40

I'm having the same issue. The router randomly disconnects from all devices, as if it's rebooting, but when I visually check it all the lights are on and blinking in unison. I then have to reboot it manually by power to get it to reconnect. This just started happening recently and it's been happening about every other day. Log just shows a lot of this before disconnect:

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 23.102.225.47, port 9692, Saturday, January 05, 2019 13:01:14
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 216.221.222.20, port 2189, Saturday, January 05, 2019 12:51:16
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 216.221.222.20, port 2189, Saturday, January 05, 2019 12:51:15
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 216.221.222.20, port 2189, Saturday, January 05, 2019 12:51:14

Hey there, I just wanted to chime in here. I had just posted this 

I am experiencing the exact same thing as OP

Also Sun, with the dos attack,  I got the same thing its a microsoft IP

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 23.102.225.47, port 9692, Saturday, January 05, 2019 14:30:59

I get those also when I play world of warcraft. 

I get the following 

[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 24.105.29.21, port 80, Saturday, January 05, 2019 17:39:19

[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 24.105.29.21, port 80, Saturday, January 05, 2019 17:39:07

[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 24.105.29.21, port 80, Saturday, January 05, 2019 17:37:31

[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 24.105.29.21, port 80, Saturday, January 05, 2019 17:36:36

When I lookup that IP its blizzard entertainment. 

• Administrators

Hi both - you can ignore these DoS attack logs. That’s just internet white noise most of the time (Google it and you’ll see a bunch of threads on this for many Netgear routers). 

Lets see if we can narrow down what’s happening: 

1. Are these drops both on wireless and wired?

2. Do you have an Xbox One connected to the router?

3. Is the router in a ventilated place(i.e. no obvious risk of overheating?)

4. Do you have to reboot the router to restore internet, or does it just come back a while later?

5. Have you set any manual DHCP rules?

@Zero - I’ve asked these questions in your thread so best if you reply there to keep the two threads independent. Thanks. 

Ok so all signals wired and wireless go out and the router actually reboots, I actually went through all the troubleshooting and tried a beta from the guys here while on netgear forums.  It seems to be pretty random as far as the activity on the device at the time and it’s for sure the router itself.  All the lights go out and it totally reboots itself so our issues seem to be a bit different.  I’ve tried turning off all the suggestions like mu Mimo etc. and every fix that’s been posted here and everywhere else literally.  Tried to warranty with netgear a bit after launch, but they literally ignored me until after my date passed and then stopped responding at all, aside from Frasier and Jack their sites totally worthless.   I’ve been with netduma for years coming from the R1 and sadly I sold it when I thought I’d figured out my issue with the xr then it came back, love netduma however this isn’t my first issue with netgears shoddy equipment as I have the older nighthawk and it’s got its own issues mostly that WiFi only functions through the extender.  Really hope in the future duma partners with a less sketchy company, but till then we’re here.   Hoping things work out eventually, but I’ve been fighting this thing since mid summer and have spent as much time on my router as I have gaming some weeks.  Oh and no xbox, PS4 WiFi and PS4 pro wired and it’s done it with or without any manual rules, static ip, port forwarding seems to make very little difference what I do honestly. 

Heres the logs fingers crossed they help and or mean something more to you all than they do me, I too noticed the ddos and figure it wasn’t anything to worry about and more something the routers doing. 

log-1546652504844.txt

1. Drops happen on both wireless and wired. It's a full disconnect of the router to the entire network of devices.

2. I do, but it's been off for months. 

3. It's in a walk in storage closet. Room is around 68 degrees or less. Overheating has not been an issue. It doesn't feel hot to the touch or anything when I've gone to manually power it down.

4. Sometimes it comes back and sometimes I have to power it down to reboot it.

5. Negative.

Only change since these started happening is the latest firmware update that had hybrid VPN enabled by default. I turned that off yesterday and it hasn't dropped out as of yet. 

Tried turning off the hybrid vpn a while back and no luck on my end however my issue has been since release not just this update so hopefully this works for yours.  I have seen others mention this working as well as turning mu mimo off helping with disconnects. 

Its odd I’ve had many times that my router seems fine for weeks or even a month then suddenly it’s back to an every day thing or even multiple times a day.  I’ve thought I fixed it so many times since release and then been in a final 2 or 3 or having an amazing streak and oof it all drops out. Lol Always seems to happen at the worst possible time, but that’s just how things go I guess. If I don’t laugh it off after all this time I’ll prolly lose it and launch this damn thing out the window. 

• Administrators

@SunTzu - thanks for the info, let us know how it performs with the VPN toggled to disabled. I would be surprised if that's the cause, but you never know. Could you pull the power out of the back of the Xbox too (if you're not using it). It's unlikely, but if it's in Standby mode it might be causing problems

@LuzinIt - You should have a one year warranty with the router, which means you're still in range for a replacement. Which given you have tried near enough everything, sounds like is required here. Do you have a Case ID with NETGEAR? We can follow this up for you. Also - do you have an XB1? I assume you've already disabled Instant-on mode if so?

Just went out again today, but rebooted on it's own. I just powered down the xbox one to see if that was playing a factor. I will keep you posted. Is there anyway to roll this firmware back to avoid this issue as I wasn't have this problem before the update? I'm getting concerned because my girlfriend does day trading and if this thing drops during a trade we could be talking a lot of money being lost if she can't get out. So far I've been lucky as it's only happened after hours. 

• Administrators

Hi - yes you can downgrade back. I recommend you do this and then see if the problem goes away. That will help us figure out where the issue is. Here’s the link:

https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

Ok just went out again tonight, so it's consistently doing it every other day while I'm gaming usually either on PC or PS4. I also removed the power on the xbox one so we can rule that out. I'm going back to the older firmware now to see if that fixes the problem. 

• Administrators

I know its a different router slightly but could you try this suggestion please and see if it resolves the issue: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR700-Periodic-WAN-disconnects-still-on-latest-v1-0-1-8/m-p/1689265/highlight/true#M7139

Ok trying it. It's been on the same extender since purchasing it so not sure why it would matter now. Only change has been that firmware update, but I've rolled that back. The device isn't even warm to the touch. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. Since removing the router from the power protector and directly plugging it into the wall I have not had a reboot happen, so it may have been power fluctuations. For the record I had a cable modem and a switch plugged into the power protector along with the router. I am going to try and reupdate to the newest firmware and see how it goes.  

• 2 months later...

Any chance we’ve ever gotten anywhere with this, mine is right back to doing it daily and being out of my 90 days seems like a lost cause. I’m not sure there’s much I haven’t tried at this point and netgear support was totally useless.  Basically after your 90 days I think it was your sol as far as their concerned.   Guess I’ll attempt to capture info to a usb since it wipes any evidence of it being junk when it loses power.  Tried removing the power strip the last time and it was ok for a bit then went back.  Looks to me like the cpu spikes quite a bit, but it’s clean with ample ventilation and I’ve tried fans as well.  Been a nightmare since I assumed it was fixed and got rid of my R1, good lord I miss that thing, only plus to this really is WiFi range and I’d have saved a bunch of headaches if I’d have just dealt with the limited range compared to this. It’s been happening a ton, I’ve just gotten to the point I’m over it so I haven’t bothered posting again.   That said sucks that my 300 dollar gaming router is worse than my providers equipment.